Greater Anglia and East Midlands train collision in Norwich

• RMweb Gold

156402 and 158774 involved.

Here's 158774 heading to East Midlands Parkway last night - it's out of service according to the report.

It was a low speed collision, and I suspect the injuries were people who had got up ready to get off - perhaps slightly unsteady on their feet after a day at Great Yarmouth too.

158774 and 158862 on 1R98, 17:54, Norwich - East Midlands Parkway

Eccles Road

21 July 2013

post-6662-0-15259000-1374495513_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

More like they bumped into each other...

Simon

Spot on Simon - 'low speed collision' means exactly what it says, the trains came together at low speed and it probably was more of a bump than a bang in that case but as Beast has noted already folk who were standing or reaching up for luggage could be knocked off their feet so off to A&E for a quick once over and possibly treatment of cuts & bruises.  

Judging by the attire ,or lack of it,some of the young ladies crowding Norwich Station  late at night on a saturday  are seen wearing i would say the driver got distracted.My good lady wife  who in the 60's used to conspire with other bank girls in Romford to wear  the shortest miniskirt  possible was gobsmacked at some girls  lack of modesty  when i had to pickup some clubbing daughters .And many so very very large and unsuitable  too... though some pure treasures of course .Norwich does both well .

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the attire ,or lack of it,some of the young ladies crowding Norwich Station  late at night on a saturday  are seen wearing i would say the driver got distracted.My good lady wife  who in the 60's used to conspire with other bank girls in Romford to wear  the shortest miniskirt  possible was gobsmacked at some girls  lack of modesty  when i had to pickup some clubbing daughters .And many so very very large and unsuitable  too... though some pure treasures of course .Norwich does both well .

Especially on the Prince of Wales road (on a weekend night), which the Thorpe railway station is at the end of!!

The Q

Long long ago, a class 31 parked at the stops  in Thorpe platform 6 had not got is handbrake full on, and very slowly the air leaked away, come 2.30 a.m. or so it slowly gathered speed down the track, whereupon an alert signallman saw what was happening, threw the point to take it to a slip road,  but regrettably they moved after the first bogie had gone past, so it sat down right in the station throat! The DMP (the late Geoff Ford, a former Gresley premium apprentice) had the re-railing gang out in no time This consisted of a small number of very long service drivers (who were paid a retainer) plus a Kolbus winch.  Took about 90 minutes to set up, but then using rail ramps,  and hardwood packings they slowly pulled the thing back on.  Took two tries, first time a ramp came out under pressure -  ping, and flew across the station throat! - all laying down a bit!!  By 4.am. track inspected and back in service.  Interview for the sinner in the morning.  i was eyewitness throughout.  That was the right way to do it, and excellent for morale.

One summer Saturday watching from the car park above Norwich station we witnessed (I presume, there were 3 in the cab) a traction trainee receive on the job training on how to reverse a Class 37 onto a rake of Mk 1s for coupling. Poor guy didn't quite time opening the throttle to compress the buffers properly and opened the taps while still a good 3-6 feet away.............BANG. Saw a passenger standing in the first compartment go flying across to the rear seats. Guess today that would have been classed as a major incident requiring ambulance, fire services and most importantly, the police to attend, but back then, they simply backed on again, coupled and continued the journey

Archived