3D printed kits

you have to have people who experiment or there will be no progress.

No problem with that.

As long as you are aware of the potential problems.

An old boss of mine had a pet hate.

What he called busy fools.

You and me seem to be a world apart in regarding how to cost a product.

But what do I know with only 30 odd years in a production engineering environment.

Plastic printing is very old school these days.

Why not go for broke and try printed titanium?

I would go for some nice bling bike parts, as cyclists have more free cash than railway modellers and a British winner of The Tour de France will provide you with free publicity material.

Bernard

So lets see the CAD file you intend to print from, because that's the first bit that need to be right to make anything worthwhile, and its a lot more than just the drawing - I've seen a lot of nicely drawn, but totally inaccurate CAD where the operator just doesn't understand what he is drawing, or the base research is wrong.

Once you have something to print, then you should think about a printer, but not a printerbot - those are a great training tool for schools, and an interesting toy, but not suitable for the sort of application you propose.

Or have we all fallen for a troll? The Hornby mk4 has plenty of faults, but is available cheaply secondhand, and will require a lot less work to put right than even a state of the art 3d print.

Jon

No problem with that.

As long as you are aware of the potential problems.

An old boss of mine had a pet hate.

What he called busy fools.

You and me seem to be a world apart in regarding how to cost a product.

But what do I know with only 30 odd years in a production engineering environment.

Plastic printing is very old school these days.

Why not go for broke and try printed titanium?

I would go for some nice bling bike parts, as cyclists have more free cash than railway modellers and a British winner of The Tour de France will provide you with free publicity material.

Bernard

stop being sarcastic, it's not helping!

first product i plan on making is an enclosed steel wagon as a test like so: PIK37702.JPG&w=285&h=285&size=x

models will come in 4 pieces; chassis, body and 2 bogies (depending on model in question) you will have to fit your own wheels and couplings.

The hood on that Shimmns will be an interesting exercise in learning CAD

I know but it will hopefully pave the way to people not relying on the big companies to make models in china.

(edit: if I can prove this to be a viable means of manufacture people will be able to download files and make their own models in their home)

• RMweb Gold

I can't help thinking you are barking up the wrong tree. At the moment the majority of affordable home 3D printers are nowhere near the quality needed. They might be in the future, but at the moment you either need to invest in a better 3D printer or send it to someone like Shapeways (at a cost). The ideas you are talking about are all good (though you are far from the first to think of them) and will happen eventually.

Design tolerances are rarely scaleable so that means messing with things like wall thickness and working out what compromises you are prepared to make on smaller detailing.

Just try printing something simple like a cube and see if you would be happy with the surface finish on a coach or wagon - my (educated) guess is you wouldn't.

Cheers, Mike

I know but it will hopefully pave the way to people not relying on the big companies to make models in china.

(edit: if I can prove this to be a viable means of manufacture people will be able to download files and make their own models in their home)

Hello,

It sounds like you haven't heard about http://www.thingiverse.com/.People going to the trouble of designing a comercially viable 3d print are not likely to give them away.It will get really interesting when different people design the same object some time in the future.The file sharing/copyright issue is bad enough now without the inevitable duplication of work likely in the future.

trustytrev. :scratchhead:

Hello,

It sounds like you haven't heard about http://www.thingiverse.com/.People going to the trouble of designing a comercially viable 3d print are not likely to give them away.It will get really interesting when different people design the same object some time in the future.The file sharing/copyright issue is bad enough now without the inevitable duplication of work likely in the future.

trustytrev. :scratchhead:

yes i have heard of http://www.thingiverse.com/

nope they are injection molded

Every time you put finger to keyboard you get slightly less credible - following the link TrustyTrev posted http://www.topptrains.co.uk/acatalog/Topp-Pots.html reaches a product page, go to a product then follow the like that says 'click for more information about this product' and you get

'The pots were developed using the latest 3D printing techniques and we think they really show off the detailing well.' - not injection moulded!

There are lots of people on this forum who can and will help you, but if you don't listen, then they will become increasingly impatient.

Jon

Every time you put finger to keyboard you get slightly less credible - following the link TrustyTrev posted http://www.topptrains.co.uk/acatalog/Topp-Pots.html reaches a product page, go to a product then follow the like that says 'click for more information about this product' and you get

'The pots were developed using the latest 3D printing techniques and we think they really show off the detailing well.' - not injection moulded!

There are lots of people on this forum who can and will help you, but if you don't listen, then they will become increasingly impatient.

Jon

they look like they are injection molded because of the spurs that is what i was basing what I said off.

first product i plan on making is an enclosed steel wagon as a test like so: PIK37702.JPG&w=285&h=285&size=x

models will come in 4 pieces; chassis, body and 2 bogies (depending on model in question) you will have to fit your own wheels and couplings.

So do you have a drawing of this wagon? What are the running numbers/UIC codes?

Jon

So do you have a drawing of this wagon? What are the running numbers/UIC codes?

Jon

It will be a blank kit so you have to add you own liveries and running numbers, I am currently trying to make the model for the wagon, I won't have the printer till september/october time and the printer itself is a kit so i have to build that.

It will be a blank kit so you have to add you own liveries and running numbers, I am currently trying to make the model for the wagon, I won't have the printer till september/october time and the printer itself is a kit so i have to build that.

Sorry what I meant was 'what wagon are you proposing to produce?' - there are several versions of coil hoods.

Jon

I suggest you start here.

Amongst other things, you need to know what you can produce first, then work out what you should.  Lots, and lots of test pieces to determine the capabilities of your workflow and the machine.

(in case you're worried about sarcasm, we're all being serious.  You can't treat a business as a hobby if you want to be taken seriously.  Everything you've said so far has been another point on the numpty-scale.  You need to start thinking and planning, not guessing and making it up on the hoof.  I will make no allowances for your age, anyone can be successful in business whether they're fourteen or forty)

I suggest you start here.

Amongst other things, you need to know what you can produce first, then work out what you should.  Lots, and lots of test pieces to determine the capabilities of your workflow and the machine.

(in case you're worried about sarcasm, we're all being serious.  You can't treat a business as a hobby if you want to be taken seriously.  Everything you've said so far has been another point on the numpty-scale.  You need to start thinking and planning, not guessing and making it up on the hoof.  I will make no allowances for your age, anyone can be successful in business whether they're fourteen or forty)

sorry to bust your bubble but I took business studies at btec and I am not the one calling the shots, my dad runs a land surveying company and we are branching out to 3d printing.

on a side note i have ADHD and can be quite impulsive.

Archived