3D printed kits

While there is nothing wrong with duplicating an existing model as a test of your and 3D printing's abilities, as a commercial venture it's not viable. Why would someone buy a 3D printed model that's going to be lower quality (due to the current technology of printing available) and more expensive than a finished and painted injection moulded model?

You need to look at something that definately hasn't been produced RTR and probably not as a kit either, but at the same time people will want, that way you you have most chance of making a return on your R&D time.

BTW, you do know that covered coil wagon is a European prototype? Not nessarily a problem

In itself, the market might be bigger than for British prototypes (ignoring the fact that Piko make it RTR)

I understand that if you get your own printer your models are going to be cheaper than the likes of Shapeways, but have you actually priced printing compared to the same model RTR? (and that's not including R&D time) There's a reason most 3D model railway stuff people have made so far is in N or small H0/00 items.

Put it this way, you are not going to compete on price with anything produced RTR in China, you need something no one else makes

I know its just that european and some british models are expensive even in kit form so why not offer a cheaper alternative? 

aside from that i have asked what people want to see/be made so I can research it.

In all honesty I can't see you producing it cheaper, at some point you're going to have to factor the price of the machine in......amongst other things.

If you're serious about this you're going to have to identify what will actually sell, as I stated before, produce something you want for yourself first, then take it from there. Asking on a forum for prototypes is definitely not the way forward, you're going to have to create your own niche in a market.

on a side note i have ADHD and can be quite impulsive.

I think we had probably guessed that, it can't be easy, but research for the sort of activity you propose tends to be a long dragged out detailed affair.

Its that a commonly recognised acronym? Google didn't help, but then it suddenly came to me!

I tried googleing it to no avail

I know its just that european and some british models are expensive even in kit form so why not offer a cheaper alternative? 

aside from that i have asked what people want to see/be made so I can research it.

How about this as an idea - you are obviously interested in the Hornby mk4 - one of the known shortfalls is the simplification of the underframe 'pods' under the doors - on the Hornby model they are too small and attached to the bogie, do the research to design a correction part in CAD and then before you buy the printer, find someone that already has one (maybe the printer supplier will print an example to help sell it to you) and then get feedback on the item you have produced.

Jon

each coach weighs 50-75g the plastic comes in 1kg spools at £30 per spool

Yep, but the machine is free? What's the quality going to be like, you need to research this before anything else.....

I've had stuff printed all over the world at various prices and quality, no one comes anywhere near rtr quality at the same or cheaper price, ho are you going to manage this?

I regularly do 7mm models these are in the region of £150-£200, they sell occasionally because someone deems it worth it, 3d printing is not yet an alternative to mass produced models.

post-7067-0-34539000-1375216352.jpg

If you seriously think as a new entrant to the market that you can do a better job, fine please show us all, but in all honesty a reality check is needed here.

No one is trying to put you off or slag you off but, you need to do some serious research and weighing up before you do anything.

Yep, but the machine is free? What's the quality going to be like, you need to research this before anything else.....

I've had stuff printed all over the world at various prices and quality, no one comes anywhere near rtr quality at the same or cheaper price, ho are you going to manage this?

I regularly do 7mm models these are in the region of £150-£200, they sell occasionally because someone deems it worth it, 3d printing is not yet an alternative to mass produced models.

attachicon.giftrams 074.jpg

If you seriously think as a new entrant to the market that you can do a better job, fine please show us all, but in all honesty a reality check is needed here.

No one is trying to put you off or slag you off but, you need to do some serious research and weighing up before you do anything.

we are not only going to be making model railway models but architectural models for the going rate

What about the cost of the printer? Or the cost of your design time? Materials are a fraction of the total cost.

as i have said in other posts we will be making architectural models as well and these fetch a good price especially because the sub company will be attached to a well know land survey company in the area

Hello Adam,

Good to see another person interested in 3D printing,

I wish you all the best with your business.

I think you will learn a lot of useful information and business knowledge through the project, I certainly have and I rely on the 3 different external printing companies rather than doing it in house.

As others have said though you may find it difficult to make it commercially viable, I have certainly found that with Wild Boar Models which is only now a year and a half on getting close to turning a profit (not that I could ever live of the income as it is purely a hobby). 

I think it may be wise to take heed of some of the feedback given here, but I wouldn't  give up on the idea as after all its your hobby.

Best of luck,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

(I just guessing, but I have probably printed more stuff in 3D in the last year than I have printed stuff on the home printer)

Having had a read through Wild Boar Fell's thread on designing wagons for 3D printing I would recommend you do. You can see his transition from someone who is just starting to someone who has a good idea of the design ideas that work and which don't, the constraints of the process and materials. His Parrot wagon is a good example of something that works well in 3D printing and makes an attractive and desirable model (always a plus if you want to sell them) but would be hard to scratchbuild and is unlikely to be produced RTR

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50852-printed-warwell-wagons/

Just bodged this together in my lunch hour. I would say doing the curtain sides on the steel carrier wagon is the easier part, its the bogies which I think woul take more time to do especially if they have compression springs on show.

post-3114-0-52107700-1375275264.jpg

Drawing was done in Rhino3, its not anything like the one shown in the thread - put this together from memory and added way to many gathers in the curtain, but you get the idea.

If I was goint to tackle the wagon you showed earlier in the thread i would resin cast the body from a 3d printed or SLA master.

The raw materials (casting resin v. print filament) seem to be similar in cost, it is the process time is where you would make the saving i,e in the time it takes to 'print one wagon body you could cast 4 or more.

Jonathan

I would suggest you start with something slightly less ambitious such as detailing parts for coaches or what about covered loads for a standard wagon size?  Has anyone tried making scale people using 3D printers?  If you look at the dearth of decent available figures for model railways that is an area you could offer something fresh in.  Other bits that could be good include line side "furniture" like point rodding and electrical panels, goods ready to be loaded, signals, lattice parts for gantries, etc.

I would suggest you start with something slightly less ambitious such as detailing parts for coaches or what about covered loads for a standard wagon size?  Has anyone tried making scale people using 3D printers?  If you look at the dearth of decent available figures for model railways that is an area you could offer something fresh in.  Other bits that could be good include line side "furniture" like point rodding and electrical panels, goods ready to be loaded, signals, lattice parts for gantries, etc.

good idea that may be better that experimenting using coaching stock.

Just bodged this together in my lunch hour. I would say doing the curtain sides on the steel carrier wagon is the easier part, its the bogies which I think woul take more time to do especially if they have compression springs on show.

attachicon.gifbody stl test.jpg

Drawing was done in Rhino3, its not anything like the one shown in the thread - put this together from memory and added way to many gathers in the curtain, but you get the idea.

The issue with what you have drawn is the lac of 'sag' between the hoops - it doesn't look like a material hung over a frame - that's the difficult bit.

Jon

If I was goint to tackle the wagon you showed earlier in the thread i would resin cast the body from a 3d printed or SLA master.

Yes, I think you are right - I went the Lima hack route (described in DEMU's Update by Brian W) for a single Tiphook hood, but then copied it in resin to produce more, initially as a stop gap until I work out how to do the Powel Duffrin hoods for Hamworthy.

post-336-0-82031500-1375298341.jpg

I must have the left over bits of the second hood somewhere, but I can't quite think where???

Jon

Edit to add photo

Archived