The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Owner reunited with her stolen Stradivarius

Bezzy Oppo

Just seen on the 10 o'clock news Min-Jin Kym has been reunited with her Strad violin stolen three years ago. 

I look forward to Inspector Knacker ringing me directly in the same manner to say they've found my lawnmower that some toe rag lifted from our shed some five years since...

hmmm.....

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried watching the proms ?. I gathers its a  favorite place for stolen lawnmowers and other shedded items to show up .

Not sure about lawn mowers, but Malcolm Arnold composed the Grand Grand Festival Overture for orchestra, three vacuum cleaners and a floor polisher! Here it is at the Last Night of the Proms in 2009...

In terms of the violinist, it may not necessarily be her violin anyway. There are very few Strads in the world - only about 600 - and as we all know they are insanely expensive. Some of the top, top soloists may be able to afford them, but most that are used by soloists are owned by banks or rich collectors and loaned (often very long-term loans) to the musicians to use. Better they get used than sit in a vault gathering dust...sadly not all owners have this enlightened approach!

They are also very tricky things to dispose of once pinched. To all intents and purposes, each violin is unique, with a limited market. Your average tea-leaf would not know what to do with it once they got hold of it. 

I found a Stradivarius and a Van Gogh in the attic last week, so I took them for valuation. Unfortunately, Van Gogh made lousy violins, and Stradivarius couldn't paint to save his life.

Joke © Tommy Cooper around 1970

He tells it much better: from about 6:10 into this clip www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MxmA9BgUO7s&t=377

That' s because it's a fiddle!

XF

You need to take care with such remarks.

Violinists and Fiddlers are very different animals.

Without going into too deep a description and not wishing to  dig too big a hole for myself.

Violinists tend to play classical music while Fiddlers are more into folk.

Neither side like to be thought of as belonging to or being associated with the other.

It's rather akin to gauge wars in 4mm scale. :O

Totally OT.

A violin maker once asked me if I could save the shells from my walnut tree as he used the juice to stain the wood.

I found out two things.

I. 500ml of juice needs a heck of a lot of shells.

2. The juice is almost as permanent as tattoo ink if it gets on your hands.

Bernard

There was program recently on TV about them ,Strads not lawnmowers .very interesting and it seems they were  revered  and collected from day one .I prefer Strats to Strads  and even have a fake one to prove it .

...very tricky things to dispose of once pinched. To all intents and purposes, each violin is unique, with a limited market. Your average tea-leaf would not know what to do with it once they got hold of it. 

I seem to recall that the tea-leaves (pikeys, apparently) responsible did actually look up on the Internet to see what they had nicked, and it was from that point onward that they began to realise their mistake.....

You need to take care with such remarks.

Violinists and Fiddlers are very different animals.

Without going into too deep a description and not wishing to  dig too big a hole for myself.

Violinists tend to play classical music while Fiddlers are more into folk.

Neither side like to be thought of as belonging to or being associated with the other.

It's rather akin to gauge wars in 4mm scale. :O

Totally OT.

A violin maker once asked me if I could save the shells from my walnut tree as he used the juice to stain the wood.

I found out two things.

I. 500ml of juice needs a heck of a lot of shells.

2. The juice is almost as permanent as tattoo ink if it gets on your hands.

Bernard

Hi Bernard

Many years ago Iused to play a violin but not very well!

Heres is a violin being played like a fiddle!

Lindsay Stirling a very talented young lady!

XF

Archived