US freight cars - beasts photos

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Dave, what are the reporting marks on the two new, plain, tan boxes in a couple of shots please? I'm wondering if they are the US equivalent of the 'one journey' 20's we see marked for several companies over here? 

Image references:

DAS_US_00222

DAS_US_00258

Ta! :)

Not sure if I've got the right bit !

post-6662-0-50037200-1376680153_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-31949200-1376680201_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave, can't find much out about Harding, but EMS is into the one-journey rental boxes (you purchase a brand new box from China, it works it's way to you carrying a paying cargo, and then becomes a storage unit) - so I suspect it's like the Pentalver (PSSU) and similar ones we see over here...

Interesting that tan seems to be the standard finish for the Western US judging from them, whereas the UK ones are almost always blue or green - desert spec versus urban or countryside? ;)

Gunderson Maxi-I - BNSF238474, BNSF237369, BNSF239185

Gunderson Maxi-III (shortened to 40') - BNSF270697, DTTX744168

Thrall (shortened to 40') - DTTX748820, DTTX749722

Trinity - BNSF238131, BNSF239226

Most of the boxes should be familiar looking to UK watchers again, but TISU (the 'Orange sherbet' liveried ones) are a new one for me - TISU is 'Transport Industrial Services Ltd' of St Petersburg, Russia...http://oootis.com/english/about.html suggests their business is tanks, but obviously there's some dry boxes too...

Most of the boxes should be familiar looking to UK watchers again, but TISU (the 'Orange sherbet' liveried ones) are a new one for me - TISU is 'Transport Industrial Services Ltd' of St Petersburg, Russia...http://oootis.com/english/about.html suggests their business is tanks, but obviously there's some dry boxes too...

There, and I thought that the TISU boxes were for shipping paper products, like Kleenex or Andrex  :scratchhead:

There's some great pic there, the Intermodal ones don't really mind, but the ones I really like are the mixed trains with grain, steel, wood, liquids and freezer cars. I went to Flagstaff in Arizona in 2005 and spent 3 days sat next to the railway line on top of the rental jeep. I'll post a few freight car pics if ok by you. The best thing with the area I was in flagstaff was that a train passed every 11-17 minutes in either direction. I even got a visit by the local police force asking me what I was doing and once I showed them a few pictures on my laptop and telling them all about the reason why I took pictures she seemed more interested in it. I got a another visit later in the day by the local police sargent who was a train buff like us. He spent 30 mins telling me what the different types of cars were and later he said his office looked out onto the crossing in flagstaff and would take pictures from his desk....(Lucky man) 

post-8106-0-48088100-1376913129_thumb.jpg

post-8106-0-47068700-1376913147_thumb.jpg

post-8106-0-50415000-1376913178_thumb.jpg

post-8106-0-83371200-1376913161_thumb.jpg

post-8106-0-41317100-1376913212_thumb.jpg

Last time I was in Flagstaff I parked in the local Bill's parking lot - very nice they were too (but ask first)! 99% of the trains seen at Cajon pass (ho) thru Flagstaff and vice versa. There's an overpass over the Transcon at the Petrified Forest Park (towards Holbrook past Winslow on I40) where you can experience them passing at 70mph.......+

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Last time I was in Flagstaff I parked in the local Bill's parking lot - very nice they were too (but ask first)! 99% of the trains seen at Cajon pass (ho) thru Flagstaff and vice versa. There's an overpass over the Transcon at the Petrified Forest Park (towards Holbrook past Winslow on I40) where you can experience them passing at 70mph.......+

Best, Pete.

I know the bridge you mean. Rather nice location.

Ian

Wow, a Sea Land liveried Twinstack set (CSXT 620138) and an ex-APL 48' Maxi-III set (BRAN 4847).

You can also see the difference between a standard 8'6" high container and a high-cube 9'6" high container. The Sea Land car has 8'6" containers in the lower position in the first three wells and 9'6" ones in the last two.

Adrian

The place I went to was north west from Flagstaff, The best way to describe is to go to W Naval Observatory road, the road goes under Interstate 40 and becomes Observatory access road, when you pass under the I40 the road bears to the left, There is a turning about 200 metres on the right, the road goes through a wood but is parallel to the railway line. go half a mile and there is space to park and watch the trains pass. This is an ideal place because the line from west to east is downhill and so the trains are braking to slow for the curve under the freeway while trains coming east to west are climbing, again some serious welly and power to get them up the incline. also the trees provide some shelter as the sun is behind you for most of the day, I do have some video tape with them on and I'll ask a neighbour to up-load them to YouTube soon.

Very rare 20' high cube (also likely storage unit fodder) in one well also, that combo shows off the height difference nicely too...

Other notables (in what's quite an eclectic bunch!) :

DTTX62017 is a Thrall lo-pac I believe

DTTX458737 is a 48' Gunderson All-Purpose (i.e. capable of loading a trailer or container) standalone well shortened to 40'

The others:

CSXT620138 is the ex Sea-Land Gunderson Twinstack, and BRAN4847 is the ex APL Gunderson Maxi-III as Adrian noted 

DTTX749398 is another Thrall articulated shortened to 40' wells

DTTX746443 is another Thrall standalone shortened to a 40' well

BNSF237843 is another Gunderson Maxi-I

BNSF270467 and BNSF270520 are two more Gunderson Maxi-III shortened to 40' wells

DTTX458737 is a 48' Gunderson All-Purpose (i.e. capable of loading a trailer or container) standalone well shortened to 40'

I thought it might be, but I couldn't understand why one would shorten an AP - there can't be many trailers that will fit in a 40' well (at least not efficiently - a 28 would work). According to the AAR loading guide it is no longer an AP (no trailers permitted).

You are probably correct on the Lo-pac too. I have a model of one of those (N-scale).

Adrian

Okies - sorry i'm no help on builders with these, spine cars all look rather similar to each other to my eye but came from a range of builders so there are (apparently) detail differences...

But what you have is I think 3 basic types:

TTAX marked cars - these are 5 (or occasionally 3) unit 53' platform spine car sets (some will have been originally built as 48' platforms and later stretched) - Most are 'all purpose' - i.e. can also load containers

TTRX marked cars - 3 unit 57' platform spine car sets, some (but not all) of these are setup to be able to load a pair of 28' 'pup' trailers on each platform (like the Yellow/UPS combinations in your pics) - I think they are again 'all purpose' cars

TTEX marked car - this is a 'Long runner' - before the introduction of spine cars (1980s) the 89' flatcar had been the dominant intermodal car from the 1960s on, and probably was dominant into the early 90s. Obviously trailer sizes have changed a lot since the 60s, and the TTEX was a way of improving the efficiency of moving 53' trailers with 89' flatcars, by drawbarring a pair together you could then load a third 53' trailer straddling the two platforms, as nicely demonstrated in the pic...89' flats in TOFC intermodal service seem to now be starting to get rare, so good catch...

Archived