Elwood East - late 70s, N gauge, parcels & engineering traffic, very average

Dave777

Hi Steve, it's 1mm square section, painted first, then cut into posts and glued into holes in the scenery (drilled with a mini drill). The 'wire' is thin cotton thread. For some unfathomable reason I bought white cotton and attempted to dye it first using watercolours. Why on Earth I didn't just use a suitably rusty looking brown cotton is beyond me!

With the posts in place, I Superglued the cotton to each post. Once the first one is done you can pull the cotton gently taught with one hand and blob the glue on with the other - hold for a few seconds and it's solid. Because the glue soaks into the cotton it forms a really strong bond, it's not just surface to surface.

That's the way I did it, I'm sure there are other methods :)

Can I ask a big favour? Can we lose the very average part of the heading? This really is a very nice little layout with nothing average about it at all.

Just a thought.

I concur fully, absolutely nothing average about this at all. Quite the opposite I'd say.

I too also need some wire fencing so will give your system a try.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I like the "average."

Because what really appeals to me about this layout is that it depicts a very average, run-of-the-mill, ordinary, not-exceptional, unpretentious, commonplace, slightly dilapidated, past-its-best, tired, quotidian, humble and unremarkable location.

It just does it with breath-taking skill and superbly-observed modelling.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

This is supurb modelling of a very "average" location.

All too often railway modellers go for the picturesque even if it rarely existed on the real thing. This model captures real life very, very well. The observation and weathering skills needed to pull off the look you've got hear obviously come naturally. I'm look forward to seeing it develop and hopefully at a show before too long.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• 10 months later...

I forgot how good this layout was. It reminds me of the older station/sidings in the Black Country, although it could be any number of locations, as they were run down during/after the Beeching cuts (apt timing for rereading as it was 50 years ago!). I think this thread shows the layout off fantastically in that it has very small amounts of stock on it which is more life like. 

• 11 months later...

Excellent scene'ics

I like the attention to detail, the 2nd tunnel mouth long since disused and now a road,

I like he painting and weathering of buildings, wall and fences, ground cover

You've even managed to make the god awful peco track look half reasonable.

All in all a really nice well modelled layout, thanks for sharing

Archived