Unpleasant message.

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Whilst looking for pictures of GWR dock tank 1364, I clicked onto the picture searched in google http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gwr+dock+tanks&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:%7Breferrer:source?%7D&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kzgaUt3fCcO60QXX-IDwDg&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=775#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=I_xNlXWIePViFM%3A%3B1mlfG0Y8GYHXzM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.planefacts.co.uk%252Frailway%252Ftank%252Fimages%252Fgwr_1364_jpg.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.planefacts.co.uk%252Frailway%252Ftank%252Fpages%252Fgwr_1364_jpg.htm%3B650%3B394

and was confronted with this rather aggressive image instead.

Why have the image to see in the public domain in the first place, only when one clicks on to it to be called a thief? All rather rude.

post-6728-0-77497000-1377449784_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

Looks like going via Google and clicking "view original image" or "visit page" is what's causing it. 

That's what happens when you do it that way but if you go into the site via the link posted by Andy it all gets rather silly because that message only seems to appear if you click on the image of 1364, it didn't appear on several other images I clicked on. I agree with Andy's view that the site he linked to is rather offensive (and very childish in my view) but in fact it's just the same situation as any other images posted on the 'net - if they are there on the computer screen someone usually can, for whatever reason, 'lift' them; even if they are 'protected' in the way that they are on, for example, Flickr.

Simple answer - you might not like it but if you don't want your images 'lifted' don't put them on the 'net.

Although it would appear there's a reasonable disapproval of hotlinking , something we discourage and act upon, I think the approach here http://planefacts.co.uk/copyright/hall_of_shame/index.htm is over-zealous and he's particularly offensive.

Copyright should of course be respected but I agree that "idiot", "halfwit" and finally "scum" is taking it a wee bit far. Pete.

• RMweb Gold

The phrase get a life springs to mind , and not for you I hasten to add. Instead of being rude and unpleasant to complete strangers perhaps they should learn the correct use of apostrophes with the word "its"

... but surely that spoil's the fun.

Anyway, what about the consequence's of dodgy grammar?

I've tried - but just cannot get the image in the original post. I have found the image of 1364 referred to and can easily download it and identify it in my browser's cache (I can see it displayed through google and on the originator's site. I have even carried out a direct hotlink to display it on my own website (and then removed the hot link) but still do not get the message. The original is not even attempting a simple block of right click downloads.

So it shows that this silliness is ineffective and pretty mindless in its approach.

As has been said above, if you do not want your images posted on the net to be copied then do not post them. Spending your life scanning the web for copies is a pretty good waste of your life. Chasing hotlinks around is also pretty futile. And as for name calling - the rest of the civil society gave that up in infant school when we realised it simply was counter productive or just puerile.

• RMweb Gold

I thought that, as I can't see it now. (Using chrome)

Regards,

Nick

I still get the abusive page when using Chrome. all rather odd.

Clicking onto the link in Andy's post above, at the side of all his offensive and juvenile ranting there are some links to some very interesting material. I particularly liked the old images of Jersey ( a couple of which I have somewhere in commercial postcard form).

Ah well, not worth loosing any sleep over Mr Huelin's unpleasantness.

• RMweb Gold

Hot linking to images (or any other content) is NOT a copyright infringement and has been so held in courts in Germany and the USA.

NO copy is being made, and the owner retains full control of the image on his server.

If it were not so, Google and other search engines could not operate.

When hot-linking it is courteous to add a note to the effect and a link to the source page.

Martin.

If he doesn't want search engines to find his images and display them then he should code his pages correctly.

But of course that is the problem, very few people code their pages themselves they use applications to do the work for them and so never realise  what can be added to the html.

• RMweb Gold

I still get the abusive page when using Chrome. all rather odd.

Clicking onto the link in Andy's post above, at the side of all his offensive and juvenile ranting there are some links to some very interesting material. I particularly liked the old images of Jersey ( a couple of which I have somewhere in commercial postcard form).

Ah well, not worth loosing any sleep over Mr Huelin's unpleasantness.

The amusing thing is that he has listed the Jersey views as his 'copyright' - I also recognise several from old postcards including a well known, and oft published, view of a train departing from Gorey which I believe was one of a series of views of Mont Orgueil castle/Gorey although the original was not vignetted.

As I have what looks to be an original, but definitely large size and very early, copy of a well known Wantage Tramway postcard can I claim copyright just because I've got it?  'Course I can't - it's 90 years old, as are some of those Jersey views.

NO copy is being made

Not quite true, as a copy is made in the cache each time the page is loaded in a client's browser. But of course this is allowed or you would not be able to see images on the originator's site - and neither would he.

He may be using server side tricks to identify the browser and referrer of the client and redirecting to his foul image. This is perfectly legitimate and has been used by photobucket et al to throttle hotlinking on free accounts. However the technique is highly dubious as this type of redirection on the server is very suspect and can be abused for many non-legitimate practices. (it is one of the "click this link" tricks used in emails.

As always on the internet you the user has to take a certain amount of responsibility on clicking any link - even on RMWeb and you should always evaluate the trust level you have for the link - especially if they are hidden behind words or an image.

As for whatever he is using on this site it is pretty pointless and only shows up his inadequacies. The images are still downloadable and open to being copied. I am yet to find a site that can prevent copying completely. If it is viewable I can copy it legitimately.

The copyright issue is when I come to use it for my own gain - at that point I agree with his sentiment but still not his way of conveying it.

• 3 months later...

Archived