GWR Inglenook in 'EM'

gwrkev

My current attempt at a Highland lochside terminus in 'N' is detailed on another thread on this board, but I normally model the GWR 4mm and this is my current layout (if it can be called that!). It's a classic 5-3-3 Ingelenook design and was chosen as an ideal first project in 'EM'. There's some detailing still to do on the scencs, but it's not far from completion.

9612823473_57940cb90a_z.jpg
P1060811 by GWRKev, on Flickr

9612827093_7c36eb8399_z.jpg
P1060810 by GWRKev, on Flickr

9616054032_379c5319cb_z.jpg
P1060813 by GWRKev, on Flickr

9612832235_8c2535e2df_z.jpg
P1060815 by GWRKev, on Flickr

Thank you for the kind comments folks. Andy, the points are built from C&L components, using their Timber Tracks bases. I must admit I 'cheated' and used the ready-assembled crossing v's and machined blades. Rather an expensive option but there are only two turnouts and, as it was my first attempt at building track, I wanted to be reasonably sure of success!

I'll post some more pics shortly, although there's not a lot else to see!

Kev

Lovely modelling Kevin, I'm doing something similar in P4 but with longer sidings, how big is your layout overall and what sort of exit/fiddleyard setup are you using?

Steve

Hi Steve, it's 54" x 12". There's no fiddleyard, it's intended to be used as the classic Inglenook 'shunting puzzle'.

Wow, I'm doing something similar! What did you use for the roads? :)

It's beach sand (from dunes on the Norfolk coast) sieved onto PVA and painted with a variety of different washes of enamel paint.

Lovely wagons and great detail. What locos are you using?

At the moment the only 'EM' loco I have is a 'Metro', built from a Roxey kit. Will get it in the next set of pics. I'm also building a Martin Finney '1854' (and have been for over a year!).I have a penchant for the earlier small tanks, especially open-cab ones.

I agree with what everyone has been saying about this layout an excellent variation on the Inglenook plan, being a cuplrip aswell for Inglenook design. Just a quick question though are you using automatic couplings on this layout and if so what type?

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin, yes I use B&B autocouplings, with magnets from the same source. They have proved to be pretty much 100% reliable.

Hi Andy/Benjamin, here are some pics of the couplings. Basically they are very similar to the more well-known DG couplings but have the advantages that they are already blackened, and they need no soldering.

The coupling itself. The one on the other end of the wagon has no loop. The etch does provide for loops at both ends but I find it works better with a loop on one end only.

9650945281_04d22021b5_z.jpg
P1060829 by GWRKev, on Flickr

In the coupled position:

9650944305_d91620ed7d_z.jpg
P1060827 by GWRKev, on Flickr

And after activation by the electromagnet (note latch prevents loop re-engaging):

9650943405_d23161ec93_z.jpg
P1060828 by GWRKev, on Flickr

The contact address is:

24 Layston Park

Royston

Herts

SG8 9DS

Last time I ordered some, I think they were around £4 for a fret of 10 couplings. I ought to declare that I used to work with both B's - Derek Bunting and the late Denys Brownlee, but that was about 15 years ago!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kev,

I tried B&Bs but fount that when I had enough 'iron' on the end of the dropper for the magnet to attract it that it would start 'bobbing' and would consequently uncouple, I then went back to DGs, have you found this at all? My solution was to remove the loops and fit DG loops, but just cutting off the dropper and soldering on a steel wire might work.

Nice little layout*.

*even if it is GWR :)

Archived