4 SUB Unit 4377, Bulleid 2 HAP upgrade - plus all matters third rail.

Electrifying stuff - a highly impressive and inspirational thread.

Well done.

G.

Thanks Grahame.

I had a look at your website and am looking forward to the time when you reveal your next project!

All the best,

Colin

The glazing is done.

There were 296 pieces of glazing to install, including the double-glazed cab fronts. Each piece fitted into a slotted recess in the bodywork. Honestly, I don't recommend doing it this way, it is 'route-one' to madness!

attachicon.gifIMG_7302.JPG

Snip,....... I suspect now that the driver's doors had the inscription 'Private' on them rather than 'Driver'. There were no 'Private' transfers on the new Modelmaster sheet that I used.

Hmm. Decisions, decisions.There will be approaching 2,000 parts involved in the making of this unit by the time it is finished. Gulp!.......Snip.

Colin

Definitely 'Private'. in the 60s, 70s, 80s

Reaching back, in the far, dark, recesses of my memory, I recall speaking to a few of the Drivers, at Brighton, back in the late 1940s / early 1950s.  I was impressed that their B.R. Cap badge proclaimed that they were a 'Motorman' (I'd never seen that before).

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find photographic evidence to back this up.

I also remember that some of the Drivers' cab doors (on 2-NOLs ?) were lettered 'Motorman', later to become 'Driver', then 'Private'.

To quote Mary Hopkins,...."Those were the days, my friend,......"

All the best,

Frank.

Colijn

You might want to have a look at this for your next project

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/page-17

regards

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I have had a good look through the topic over the past few weeks. There is certainly potential for building many models more quickly. (You still have to build them though!)

All the best,

Colin

Definitely 'Private'. in the 60s, 70s, 80s

Reaching back, in the far, dark, recesses of my memory, I recall speaking to a few of the Drivers, at Brighton, back in the late 1940s / early 1950s.  I was impressed that their B.R. Cap badge proclaimed that they were a 'Motorman' (I'd never seen that before).

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find photographic evidence to back this up.

I also remember that some of the Drivers' cab doors (on 2-NOLs ?) were lettered 'Motorman', later to become 'Driver', then 'Private'.

To quote Mary Hopkins,...."Those were the days, my friend,......"

All the best,

Frank.

Thanks for that glimmer of hope re the 'Driver' inscription. The Modelmaster sheet I have used has been re-designed, so there was no choice but to put the 'Driver' transfers on. It looks marginally less bad than nothing at all!

The difference between drivers and motormen still persists: At the Tonbridge show last year a motorman (called Olly) helped us carry in the layout gear and told stories of EMUs of the old slam-door type. But for the operation at the show, we had a 'driver' (called Richard) to assist us (well he did most of my job for me). They were quite clear that they weren't both motormen nor were they both drivers!

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 1

I thought that the red stripe only applied to EPBs and that the SUBs had gone by that time. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

Oh dear. What have I said now!

You are right SRman, I think I have mixed up some facts with later units. Having looked through my books, I still can't find the page where I read this. I really must stop posting unsupported nonsense.

Sorry!

Colin

More masochistic 4 SUB fun!

Howard has kindly sent a set of authentic Bulleid style commode handles. "All you have to do is bend them up to form the cranked ends, then solder a 2mm long piece of 0.2mm phosphor-bronze wire down each hole to form the bolt head and locating pins." - Simple......

The first twenty handles were bent after some two hours fiddling: each handle has a half etch on the face side and slightly further back, on the reverse, which form the two right angles. Ten of these were fitted with the wire but fixed with superglue. The result is to be seen here.

post-8139-0-33873400-1389310410_thumb.jpg

They were not bad, but I now had a better plan - do what Howard said in the first place: make a jig and use solder for the joints!

The Paxolin-based jig is shown here with one handle held in place and the wires soldered in. The wire locates in holes in the jig to the correct depth for locating the handles in the coach sides. The p.b. strip holds the handle while the iron is applied. The wire (which is over-length for ease of handling) is then trimmed back and filed smooth before releasing from the spring strip, which is simply turned sideways when the operation is finished. An upturned completed example can be seen to the right.

post-8139-0-00585200-1389310485_thumb.jpg

Now, coming back to the bending issue, luck came my way when I was easing out the holes of the first of the remaining handles with a pin. I found that when pressing and wiggling the point of a pin in the hole while the handle was on the cutting mat using a ruler to support the handle portion, not only did it open out the holes, but the pin pressed the end of each handle down into the mat, This formed the 'crank' as if by magic. Time taken for the remaining sixty handles (inc. ten spare) = 10 mins.

post-8139-0-86376200-1389310441_thumb.jpg

Here are some still attached to the fret.

post-8139-0-01880600-1389310463_thumb.jpg

Going off to really darkened room now......

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 5

Hello Colin,

I think they look good!  

Well done for for you "continuous improvement" to the method - now I know what to do when I fit them to my trailer!   Your SUB stands scrutiny even when the pics are viewed full size - which is about 5 times life size - great stuff and very well done!

I trust that the spell in the darkened room has helped with the recovery...

Best wishes,

Edited by HAB

Hello Colin,

I think they look good!  

Well done for for you "continuous improvement" to the method - now I know what to do when I fit them to my trailer!   Your SUB stands scrutiny even when the pics are viewed full size - which is about 5 times life size - great stuff and very well done!

I trust that the spell in the darkened room has helped with the recovery...

Best wishes,

Thanks Howard,

I must admit that after making the first handles, despair was setting in - that I should never finish the model! The speeding up of the process and resultant appearance of the coach side with them fitted does make it all worthwhile. It isn't a job for the faint-hearted though! (A foretaste of P4 modelling methinks.)

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

I see no door handles?!

Hi John,

Do not worry, the door handles are to be fitted last of all.  They will be etched brass ones from Roxey. I tend to leave the easy stuff as a reward for doing the difficult bits in between.  Having mentioned the total number of parts in this build, it might not be high enough: There are 70 commode handles composed of three pieces (210), plus sixteen drivers door grab handles like wise (48), door handles (78) and 12 other sundry handles on the cab and van ends.  That makes 348 parts for just the door furniture- most of which still to be made up and fitted. 

There is a strong argument for RTR models here!

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 1

For me the addition of the handles really brings the unit to life.

I hope you feel as pleased with the results as I am impressed :)

Thanks Mark.

I am pleased with the handles.  However, the ones pictured so far are to be carefully removed, the glue removed and then soldered up like those pictured on the jig to get consistency on all coach sides - and ensure nothing drops off later! 

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 1

Hi John,

Do not worry, the door handles are to be fitted last of all.  They will be etched brass ones from Roxey. I tend to leave the easy stuff as a reward for doing the difficult bits in between.  Having mentioned the total number of parts in this build, it might not be high enough: There are 70 commode handles composed of three pieces (210), plus sixteen drivers door grab handles like wise (48), door handles (78) and 12 other sundry handles on the cab and van ends.  That makes 348 parts for just the door furniture- most of which still to be made up and fitted. 

There is a strong argument for RTR models here!

All the best,

Colin

Yes, but think of the satisfaction it has given you, not to mention having something unique that not every other SR electric layout has.

Hats off to you for your outstanding work.

Kind regards

John

I'm gonna be a real pain now.

I thought the BR coach emblems were like the loco ones and they should only have faced one way, i.e. to the left. Hadn't the right facing ones been superseded by the early 1960s?

I'm gonna be a real pain now.

I thought the BR coach emblems were like the loco ones and they should only have faced one way, i.e. to the left. Hadn't the right facing ones been superseded by the early 1960s?

Thanks for the information re. BR emblems Flood.

It seems I have made mistake with the right-handed emblems. Having checked on the Blood & Custard website, it is clear that only left-facing emblems were applied post 1959. Anyway, there is nothing to be done now, as the transfers are covered with a layer of varnish.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks for the information re. BR emblems Flood.

It seems I have made mistake with the right-handed emblems. Having checked on the Blood & Custard website, it is clear that only left-facing emblems were applied post 1959. Anyway, there is nothing to be done now, as the transfers are covered with a layer of varnish.

All the best,

Colin

What "British Railways" said they did and what they actually did has, to my observation when I was with them, been two entirely different things. Nothing seemed to be wasted at some depots. If transfers were still stock, they got used up. I have it on good authority that the "Hornby's" had a large totem on one side of the loco and a small one on the other. Allegedly  to replace the large one was a "works" job and the small one a "depot" one and so when one was damaged by internal overheating, rather than.........Well draw your own conclusions.  

Step back Colin, take a couple of deep breaths. You're doing just fine, I wish I could get in the same street as you, modelling wise! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

To save me searching through the thread you used a jig to cut the windows and door edges.

I am wanting a jig made myself to help with detailing Lima DMUs and would like to chat about it.

I want one which hangs on the door window and has holes for the handrails and door handle, my plastic card one is useless!