1. Dover Priory, Kent.

David Todd

I agree  ...  the detail on such tiny models was the biggest surprise that really took me back, when I went to Dover last year.  You're right with the term "mind blowing" - absolutely spot on.

There's a new thread 'Railway Modelling as Art'. These three photos ought definitely to be posted on that thread.

The illusion is mind blowing once the whole Liliput DP platform 1  is set against the FULL SIZE doorstep.

Bravo! Freebs

dh

Dave, in post 5339 5th pic down, what is the multiple unit sitting by the tunnel mouth?

This unit, is a  Britannia Pacific Model. I bought at Tinkers Park exhibition 2014, from a trader.

He was next to our club layout "Hythe", so I borrowed it to run on "Hythe",for an afternoon.

It has,now been fitted with Godfrey's  double drive unit,he developed for his MLV.

This is an on going project, with the bogies, being modified,with  MJT  parts, from Dart Casting's.

http://youtu.be/PvRomvCxgaQ

• Like 4

There's a new thread 'Railway Modelling as Art'. These three photos ought definitely to be posted on that thread.

The illusion is mind blowing once the whole Liliput DP platform 1  is set against the FULL SIZE doorstep.

Bravo! Freebs

dh

Are you back at Sunderland Poly,then ?

Will take a wander,over.

Those station buildings are brilliant David. So much railway atmosphere, without appearing "twee" at all.

Just the right "edge" to them so they appear totally convincing.

More super detailing David!!! :paint:

Thanks for your posting's,

I have to remind everyone, the platform 1,model, is not by me.

I got RM member,   Freebs,   to do it,

I am just not that good,with my limited skill's.

Cast your mind back, he did these for Dover Priory.

Signal Box.

26039410616_c560ffc2cc_b.jpg

by ferriesdover, on Flickr

21549210499_92867d42b4_z.jpgGEDC0054 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

Networrk Rail cabin at DP

20108236163_f3590491dc_b.jpg

by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

19816523578_fa6c557e8c_b.jpg

19978366526_c961528cee_b.jpg

18603386364_a9b82e42c6_b.jpgPicture 633 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

Network Rail Mess Room.

19876577088_37018f044a_b.jpg

20109581103_5d6caeefb2_b.jpg

Hi David, It's all coming together really well, don't forget to remind Freebs to keep his cat away from that lovely station building. all the best Adrian.

Thanks Adrian,               Feebs,does'nt take the cat to work 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi David, looking at the picture you have posted and measuring it with my fingers, whilst eating my breakfast at the same time, it seems that the height of the cliff is three tunnel portals high, and your cellotex is four times the height. Perhaps lowering it might take some of the steepness away. Anyway it's back to my breakfast and my grease covered computer screen. All the best Adrian.

Hi David, looking at the picture you have posted and measuring it with my fingers, whilst eating my breakfast at the same time, it seems that the height of the cliff is three tunnel portals high, and your cellotex is four times the height. Perhaps lowering it might take some of the steepness away. Anyway it's back to my breakfast and my grease covered computer screen. All the best Adrian.

I might try,throwing a stone over,from the cliff path and counting the seconds,when I visit the site later today.

Wonder if Network Rails drone,is fitted with an altimeter?

Measuring with maps, the cliff path,stands,102 feet,above the tunnel portals, presuming,their data reference is sea level.

The crowns of the portals,are 28.feet from the trackbed.

_40731197_shakespearetunnel203-1.jpg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 1

Used to be height above MHWSL  ......

I might try,throwing a stone over,from the cliff path and counting the seconds,when I visit the site later today.
Wonder if Network Rails drone,is fitted with an altimeter?
Measuring with maps, the cliff path,stands,102 feet,above the tunnel portals, presuming,their data reference is sea level.
The crowns of the portals,are 28.feet from the trackbed.

_40731197_shakespearetunnel203-1.jpg

Now - simply height above Mean Sea Level.  It seems the change may have been made around the time of Metric introduction.   :scratchhead:

..................   so - now all you have to do is get your BIG wellies on and stand in the waves, moving further out each day, until the amount of water above your feet at high tide is equal to the amount of dry beach, when the tide is out    ..........

...........   taking into account the higher levels of tides, during periods of on-shore wind  .....   lower levels of tides during periods of off-shore winds    ...........    with appropriate sinusoidal proportions added or subtracted, when the wind is at an angle other than perpendicular to the coastline - in either direction, to or from    ........   Spring tides will mean you need your wellie extensions   .......

............    making sure, of course, that you account for the slight rises in tides, when the high or low tides coincide with emptying of water into the sea at Dover bath-times   .....

.............  all the while keeping an eye out for the wake of transiting ferries, so you can hold your breath as the resultant wave passes over your immaculate coiffure  .......

............  now, once established at the right level, simply look at the beach/wall, level with your eyes and measure up the cliff from there, not forgetting to add the height of your eyes above your feet to the resultant vertical measurements you make   .....

............  I might add that it was so much easier, in the old days, when simply standing on the line of seaweed, left at high tide, was good enough for most things  .......................    metrication, ehh? It was meant to make life easier  ...  Haa!!

Hope this has been of assistance to your cliff-top conundrum.   ....   :sungum:  :sungum:

J

PS.  Don't forget to take your longest vertical tape measure, or your wellies will have been wet in vain  ....   :O

PPS.  I cannot recommend the throwing of pebbles over the cliff edge.  I feel, strongly that the only way you could accurately get to be level enough to see the precise moment the pebble passes the top of the tunnel and subsequently it's arrival at track level - would be to hurl yourself over the cliff and accompany it on it's vertical journey.  The resultant damage to the expensive timepiece you would have to take with you would be very expensive and may even result in inaccurate readings, by the time you get out of surgery.  Let us also not forget, the known fact that you are a paid up member of the Clumsy Club, hereabouts and that crane down there has glass windows!!!  Compelling reasons against the idea I'm sure you will agree.   :sungum:  :sungum:

.....................    further to the above ...  it occurs to me that if you approached Network Rail for a loan of their Altimeter fitted Drone   .....................

....................     I would be willing to trot along to Dover frontage and pilot it whilst you monitored the measurements   .............      :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :angel:  :angel:

:pilot: J  :pilot:

.....................    further to the above ...  it occurs to me that if you approached Network Rail for a loan of their Altimeter fitted Drone   .....................

....................     I would be willing to trot along to Dover frontage and pilot it whilst you monitored the measurements   .............      :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :angel:  :angel:

:pilot: J  :pilot:

Hmm, so you did an hour ago, what was it,

A Non Stop Flight !

25509993633_642e257238_b.jpg

by ferriesdover, on Flickr

Used to be height above MHWSL  ......

Now - simply height above Mean Sea Level.  It seems the change may have been made around the time of Metric introduction.   :scratchhead:

..................   so - now all you have to do is get your BIG wellies on and stand in the waves, moving further out each day, until the amount of water above your feet at high tide is equal to the amount of dry beach, when the tide is out    ..........

...........   taking into account the higher levels of tides, during periods of on-shore wind  .....   lower levels of tides during periods of off-shore winds    ...........    with appropriate sinusoidal proportions added or subtracted, when the wind is at an angle other than perpendicular to the coastline - in either direction, to or from    ........   Spring tides will mean you need your wellie extensions   .......

............    making sure, of course, that you account for the slight rises in tides, when the high or low tides coincide with emptying of water into the sea at Dover bath-times   .....

.............  all the while keeping an eye out for the wake of transiting ferries, so you can hold your breath as the resultant wave passes over your immaculate coiffure  .......

............  now, once established at the right level, simply look at the beach/wall, level with your eyes and measure up the cliff from there, not forgetting to add the height of your eyes above your feet to the resultant vertical measurements you make   .....

............  I might add that it was so much easier, in the old days, when simply standing on the line of seaweed, left at high tide, was good enough for most things  .......................    metrication, ehh? It was meant to make life easier  ...  Haa!!

Hope this has been of assistance to your cliff-top conundrum.   ....   :sungum:  :sungum:

J

PS.  Don't forget to take your longest vertical tape measure, or your wellies will have been wet in vain  ....   :O

PPS.  I cannot recommend the throwing of pebbles over the cliff edge.  I feel, strongly that the only way you could accurately get to be level enough to see the precise moment the pebble passes the top of the tunnel and subsequently it's arrival at track level - would be to hurl yourself over the cliff and accompany it on it's vertical journey.  The resultant damage to the expensive timepiece you would have to take with you would be very expensive and may even result in inaccurate readings, by the time you get out of surgery.  Let us also not forget, the known fact that you are a paid up member of the Clumsy Club, hereabouts and that crane down there has glass windows!!!  Compelling reasons against the idea I'm sure you will agree.   :sungum:  :sungum:

Am not really a one for Napolionic measurements,

Give me, a chain, a perch and pole,for me to attach my parrot to.

So,in the photo Westerham posted above, that means,before I can calculate the height,

I have to wait for the tide to come in, on that photograph.

I don't know if  .....

Am not really a one for Napolionic measurements,

Give me, a chain, a perch and pole,for me to attach my parrot to.

So,in the photo Westerham posted above, that means,before I can calculate the height,

I have to wait for the tide to come in, on that photograph.

smearing greasy Bacon flavoured fingers across a Computer monitor quite counts as   ...  calculation  .............................   although in my case, possibly far more accurate  ...   :jester:  :jester:

post-13585-0-84450100-1459286801.jpg

Dismissing sea level datum, as it drastically reduces the (scale) cliff's at the , highest point. 

102 feet,on the path above the tunnels.

So, I am taking modelling licence. 

I had over sized them, and possibly, cut the foot path, from the inside.

• Like 3

There have been other attempts at  ..................................

attachicon.gifP1320183.JPG

Dismissing sea level datum, as it drastically reduces the (scale) cliff's at the , highest point. 

102 feet,on the path above the tunnels.

So, I am taking modelling licence. 

I had over sized them, and possibly, cut the foot path, from the inside.

......................       but you will need your crown and your throne [The porcelain one not being suffice for the occasion!]  .......  You might also take guidance on the advisability of such a move, as there is documentation which indicates that a mere mortal Canute cannot get away with it  .....   :nono:  :no:  :nono:

J