Urban Goods Yard

sb67

Thanks to Andy Peters recent thread on his many layouts and after years of being inspired by the stuff on here and also buying lots of bits, thanks to the bargain hunters thread!! I want to try to build one myself. It will be a small urban yard with a warehouse and small siding leading to a supposed factory or something, which will give me an excuse to run different wagons, hopefully I can keep the senics fairly generic so that I can run different stock from 60's steam/diesel through to early eighties blue and may be into sectorisation. It will be about 5 foot-ish long with a 4foot-ish senic section and hopefully a sector plate which as yet I havent got a clue how to build!

I've posted a proposed plan (appolosies for the dodgy pic) and hope to make a start this week, Here goes!

post-24-0-97024800-1378065730.jpg

Steve

Hi Steve, Thanks for the PLUG, my layouts generally just evolve, I have just added an idea on a fiddle yard that may be useful on the Crammore site.

You will have a lot of advice and don't be afraid to ask for more either in PM's or live on here, plant some pics and ask for comments, you will be rewarded with loads of really good ideas.

In the end enjoy the build, if it goes wrong don't worry I have taken more bits of timber down the tip that I dare admit to the Wife. :no: 

All the best.

Bodgit :sungum:  

Built my baseboard and sector plate and had stuff running so it all works!

One question, do I need to seal the surface of the plywood before I lay track? I was thinking about the ballasting when the board will become wet.

Not very interesting but here's a couple of pics.

post-24-0-98800500-1378316704_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-51303200-1378316672_thumb.jpg

My advice is to seal the whole lot! With most of my layouts, problems with track levels at baseboard joints have emerged a year or two after laying, even though they were perfect when originally laid. I can only assume that the amount of moisture in the wood varies according to temperature and humidity. With this in mind, I gave 2 coats of primer to the baseboards of my current layout ("Woodstowe") before track laying and scenicking. So far (about 10 years or so after construction), the track at the joins has not moved, despite being erected in an unheated garage over the past 4 years. I also splashed on some wood hardener (of the type used for repairing rotten timbers) for a couple of inches at the ends of each baseboard - but before priming.

David C

post-24-0-87096100-1378668906_thumb.jpg

Been laying the track and wired the layout up to the end of the 3way point. I was quite pleased everything seems to work well up to there. I'm planning on wiring it for DC but with the ability to be run as a DCC layout some time in the future. Just need to work out where to put some isolating sections.

post-24-0-70822000-1379099266.jpg

post-24-0-39967300-1379099282.jpg

Trying to decide what to put where! I originally wanted to us a Walthers cornerstone building but it is too tall and also there isn't a lot of room between the backscene and the track so it's back to the drawing broad! I thought about using a scalescenes wharehouse built like the first pic or a platform and warehouse with maybe a loading canopy over the top. Need to look for some inspiration in all the books and backnumbers of railway mags I have !!

Trying to decide what to put where! I originally wanted to us a Walthers cornerstone building but it is too tall and also there isn't a lot of room between the backscene and the track so it's back to the drawing broad! I thought about using a scalescenes wharehouse built like the first pic or a platform and warehouse with maybe a loading canopy over the top. Need to look for some inspiration in all the books and backnumbers of railway mags I have !!

You can reduce the height of the building by one floor, the off cut can be used elsewhere.  Don't forget you don't need the back of the building, that can be folded round to make the building longer.

ooops! Pressed the wrong button!!!

I've been doing some card mock ups and quite like this combination with the retaining walls and maybe the addition of a canopy over the loading platform?

Not too sure I've got the skills to take a floor of the walthers building yet!

post-24-0-80164500-1379441938.jpg

post-24-0-97555100-1379441955.jpg

Just wanted to share a couple of pics showing my point control  for the 3 way point. I read an article by Chris Nevard in the June 2013 issue of Model Rail and it had a picture of controling the point and switching polarity using a rod operating the tie bar as a switch. The wire connected to the tie bar rod goes to the frog and the wires soldered to the copper clad sleeper carry the respective current. so whichever way you switch the point you switch polarity as well. I was suprised at how straightforward it was to do and after a bit of tweaking works fine. Appologies if you know this but I am so pleased with how it works I thought I'd share it!

Steve

attachicon.gifDSCF1433.jpg

Been laying the track and wired the layout up to the end of the 3way point. I was quite pleased everything seems to work well up to there. I'm planning on wiring it for DC but with the ability to be run as a DCC layout some time in the future. Just need to work out where to put some isolating sections.

This is excellent, right up my street !! i like to build similar layouts, i am currently constructing an urban yard on a 3'x1' board. Looks good mate i'll be watching with keen interest! all the best Glenn

Hello mate, no worries, here is a link, the trouble with me is when im on one project im always planning my next lol! i also have some br blue n gauge stuff and am planning a depot/stabling point on a micro layout for that as i dont have much room!

cheers all the best glenn

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76190-totters-lane-yard/

• 2 weeks later...

That looks good Glen, right up my street as well, I enjoy micro layouts, although they seem to take me a long time to build!!

I've been carving up my walthers building and although not finished yet I'm quite pleased with the result.

post-24-0-07795700-1380743939.jpg

That looks good Glen, right up my street as well, I enjoy micro layouts, although they seem to take me a long time to build!!

I've been carving up my walthers building and although not finished yet I'm quite pleased with the result.

attachicon.gifDSCF1514.JPG

Thanks mate, im in the same boat it just takes me forever!! so long infact i normally start something else in between lol, well done carving up that building, looks the business mate  :sungum:

Just a quick update, I've put some plaster down around the front siding, the original idea was a concrete hard standing but the I tried scribing some slabs and decided to do that! seemed like a good idea at the time!! I've done about a third and I think they're a bit big but might be able to disguise them a bit. I've posted some pics using a couple of new purchases from an exhibition on sat. I'm going to have to build a layout to run the deltic on next!

post-24-0-12580700-1381343871.jpg

post-24-0-11964600-1381343887.jpg

post-24-0-91999600-1381343901.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've done all the ballasting and everything still works, I used some ultrafine granite which is more like dust! But I am going to cover most of it with das, here's a couple few pics:

post-24-0-78323400-1382035272.jpg

post-24-0-65252600-1382035290.jpg

post-24-0-75016100-1382035284.jpg

The sprinter is another impulse bargain! I really like it but nowhere to run it!!

I've been painting the warehouse a light grey 'concrete' colour and would appreciate some advice on weathering it as I dont want it to look too clean but being light in colour, I think I could easily be overdone.

Painted and weathered the wall along the back of the layout, it is ment to be blue engineers brick with a few years of grime on it but I think it looks too brown! I might give it another dry brush with blue brick colour.

Any advice appreciated.

post-24-0-40929200-1382729670.jpg

post-24-0-29533000-1382729681.jpg

post-24-0-87481400-1382729686.jpg

Archived