Urban Goods Yard

sb67

I used plaster for the cobbles Rob and yes the scribing is long winded and I still haven't finished! I've scribed the first bit too deep, if I put a 4mm scale figure in some of the gaps between stones the top of the stone comes up to his shin!! I'm going to cover the ballast with DAS so I'll fill some of the gaps as well.

Cheers guys, I've decided to re do the wall as I think it's way too brown, I pass under a bridge on my way to the gym every day and it's blue brick, I'll have to get a photo of it. Today I finished scribing the cobbles, at last!!

I'd also appreciate some more advice, I'm not sure what to put between the warehouse and the bridge, either some more buildings or a retaining wall with some buildings on it. At the moment I kind of like another retaining wall with some small factory backs on them as in the first pic.

post-24-0-25383900-1382904978.jpg

post-24-0-40278200-1382904984.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a break from trying to paint my wall and factory and put down most of the ground work using DAS modelling clay, it all looks a bit messy but hopefully will come together after painting.

post-24-0-86734300-1384799884.jpg

post-24-0-11037800-1384799891.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a bit of senic work and I'm not sure about my concrete unloading area, it's not quite finished but I'm not sure it fit's within the era, (60's/70's) of the layout and it just doesn't look right to me. I may try and weather it and see if if it looks better or replace it with wills cobble which I think would look better but will be difficult to do!!

I'd like to know what other people think?

post-24-0-44065200-1386623684.jpg

post-24-0-39524500-1386623692.jpg

post-24-0-47804300-1386623699.jpg

This is looking really good, and for my part, I'd say stick with the concrete. I don't think it looks out of place at all, it just needs a bit of weathering to vary the tone slightly, and to emphasise the expansion joints. Try adding a little greenery into some of he cracks, that will break it up nicely (literally on the prototype!)

Wills sheet looks good, but imho it is a pig to cut, and an even bigger pig to join neatly.

It does look good, and the expansion joints are a good touch. In the '60s such an expanse of concrete would be relatively new, but idea had been around for years (look at WW2 airfields!) so it is not too modern. Concrete weathers and stains quickly so a light wash of dark brown acrylic paint, and perhaps some weathering powder, should give it some life. 

• 4 weeks later...

Steve, I always enjoy seeing small, well-detailed layouts that are interesting to operate.

The Walthers structure fits the bill and I too would let the concrete as is; just weather it a bit – more light grey plus some green (algae).

The buildings ON the retaining wall, however, are not so my cuppa. They look like pressed at the backscene. IMHO some light trees would give a nice contrast (see Andy's "Fiddler's Yard", this pic) and make the layout loftier.

I also like the point controls, perfectly following the KISS principle. I do much the same on my micros, only that I use brass instead of wooden rods.

I will be watching your progress, sure I will enjoy it!

Regards

Armin

I've done the groundwork and having a re-build with the backscene. I'm going to trim another walthers kit.

post-24-0-58983400-1389210537.jpg

post-24-0-10533800-1389210546.jpg

I'm not too sure it fits in with late steam era but I quite like it!

Just the sort of layout I've been looking for. That's given me a few good ideas to start with. I was thinking of something along the same line but in a more rural setting. Any ideas gratefully received.

GWR000N - There's plenty of inspiration on RMWeb! I can recomend searching for a couple of layouts called, St Budoc and Trebudoc by a guy called Andy Peters, they're both in O Gauge but easily adaptable to 00 and both in a more rural setting.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

Archived