acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Class 25083 progress, all filling and filing complete...just needs a squirt of primer to check the surface then painting etc. I'm pleased with it...which is just as well!

gallery_681_3383_12939.jpg

gallery_681_3383_125711.jpg

gallery_681_3383_9174.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The south end of Kensington Olympia....I've written the road names on the ply to assist. The Warwick Rd bridge is a fiction but it had to go somewhere!

Looking towards Olympia with the TWA building on Kensington High Street.

A shunken version of Charles house will fill the empty plot to the left of Warwick Rd.

gallery_681_2831_85578.jpg

Looking eastish along Kensington High Street. The Olympia Garage will be a bit of ply to sit on too!

There is plenty of clearance under the bridge.

gallery_681_2831_120456.jpg

Looking north up Warwick Rd with Holland Rd opposite. Plenty of buses and taxis about today.....anyone fancy an icecream!

St Mary Abbots house sits to the right of Holland Rd.

gallery_681_2831_180169.jpg

And finally an overview looking east.......whose thumb is that!

gallery_681_2831_68942.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Not much done today but it was warm enough to get the rattle cans out for the class 25/3 and the Leyland National bus.......with mixed results.

A quick squirt of Halfords grey primer on the 25 showed that a bit more rubbing down was required, This has been done and the loco primered again.

The Leyland National turned into a bit of a disaster as the Humbrol spray reacted with whatever paint Bachmann used. The body then got popped into a jam jar full of Superstrip. 15 mins later no paint to be seen. After a wash and clean the bus body was sprayed successfully.

Pictures to follow.

• RMweb Premium

Bare naked Leyland National or as its a London Transport one an LS.

gallery_681_2306_413479.jpeg

Now with a coat of many one colour!

gallery_681_2306_294546.jpeg

The class 25/3 in undercoat. I think I will need to mark out where the triangular inspection hatch is one each side prior to painting it rail blue as its not very visible. This is a nice easy conversion for those of us who can't wait until 2025 for Farish to announce one!

gallery_681_3383_287250.jpeg

gallery_681_3383_1348912.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It’s a VW1500......as my Dad only ever had three wheelers......Bond minicar, Reliant 3/25, Supervan, Robin, Rialto.....I’ve always wanted to do a 3/25 as as kids we went from Brighton to Nottingham through Central London in it.

I only ever had one driving lesson in one of them, the Supervan. It was the only time I ever swore at my Mother!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Found that someone a Shapeways does a Reliant Rialto.....it’s not a Robin that it’s advertised as......these weren’t introduced until 1982.

Sadly I know a fair bit about three wheelers not helped by this website http://www.3wheelers.com

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

One thing about Model Railways as a hobby is that there are so many disciplines such as electrician, engineer woodworker, artist etc.... and researcher. Building Olympia has entailed quite a lot of research by book and the Internet. The fact that London is changing so rapidly means that buildings that were there in the 70s have long gone and in some cases so have there replacements.

Yep, not only do buildings get demolished (and replaced by something different) and/or adapted with extensions, cladding and so on, but they regularly change their appearance with regards to being repainted, change of ownership and the names/advertising that they might carry.

It's surprising how difficult it is to find good photographic records of building that no longer exist, and even of those built within the last 50 years and that have now gone.

G

• Like 1

The Leyland National turned into a bit of a disaster as the Humbrol spray reacted with whatever paint Bachmann used. The body then got popped into a jam jar full of Superstrip. 15 mins later no paint to be seen. After a wash and clean the bus body was sprayed successfully.

It's a shame that Bachmann made the Scenecraft buses and National undersized to such a strange scale. I'm pretty sure that a decent 1:148 scale version would have sold better than the one they came up with.

I've been contemplating somehow making a Red Arrow LT AEC Swift/Merlin. And the other bus I'd like to see is a LT Leyland Titan double decker so I've also been thinking of how to produce them.

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Found that someone a Shapeways does a Reliant Rialto.....it’s not a Robin that it’s advertised as......these weren’t introduced until 1982.

Sadly I know a fair bit about three wheelers not helped by this website http://www.3wheelers.com

Can't find an N gauge Bond Bug but, incredibly, someone does one for T gauge!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HNV5L49JQ/1-450-bond-bug-x3?optionId=62816388

If it's true to scale it will be about 6.2 mm long.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Making the buses 1/160 was a big error. They are better than the ODC diecast ones by a mile as the windows are so set back. The Cars Workshop DMS is nice but very scarce. I’m surprised they haven’t issued that in British liveries as once LT got rid of them they were everywhere. A Titan would be good as would an RML.

• RMweb Premium

After languishing in its box for nearly 18 months the rattle cans came out and the third of my scratchbuilt Transfesa ferry vans finally got painted yesterday. White primer for the roof and Fiat Capri blue for the body. The Interfrigo ferry van also got painted with the white primer, prior to have holes drilled in it for handrails etc.

Bit of a tidy up on the layout today as I have a visitor tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

After languishing in its box for nearly 18 months the rattle cans came out and the third of my scratchbuilt Transfesa ferry vans finally got painted yesterday. White primer for the roof and Fiat Capri blue for the body. The Interfrigo ferry van also got painted with the white primer, prior to have holes drilled in it for handrails etc.

Hi 

Eighteen months is nothing, these were in my stock drawers for ten years partially completed.

Diagram E387

post-109-0-42878500-1524133886_thumb.jpeg

Diagram TC007A

post-109-0-55256700-1524133894_thumb.jpeg

Diagram E497

post-109-0-61251400-1524133903_thumb.jpeg

I now have two of the first, five of the second and one of the third to represent the Anhydrous Ammonia train over Woodhead.

Looking forward to seeing the images of the finished ferry vans.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Great looking tank wagons Paul, scratchbuilt I guess?

Hi

The tank barrels are from the Farish 100t tanker with the barrel length modified to suit the diagram. The end caps are from the Farish straight barrel cement wagon.

The chassis are scratchbuilt and run on the TPM Y25C bogies. The ferry fittings come from the TPM ferry wagon detailing set.

Transfers were printed from my own artwork by either Brunel Models in Australia and John Peck from Precision Decals.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Had a very pleasant couple of hours this afternoon with Horizontal of this parish who dropped in to see Kensington Olympia, one of many signalboxes he has worked in over the years.

For his layouts take a look here http://ty-pella.co.uk/Index.html

Aussie Ore railway in the garden...very cranky.

Thank you for the comments. Great to see you and enjoy the weekend in York.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Made a start on painting 25083......in trying to remove the lid from a bottle of Railmatch warning yellow it sheared of around its circumference. Amazingly a bottle of gin from Mrs G’s Gin advent calendar had a lid that fitted perfectly after it had donated its contents into a glass of tonic!

A couple of very cheap ODC N Gauge Routemasters arrived from eBay today, neither were LT livery so after dismantling......is 5 rivets per bus a bit excessive to drill out......they are now in a bath of Nitro Mors for the night.

Some photos will follow.

I’ve recovered a Mk1 FK, BSK and two TSO,s from the stash at the Mother in laws.......with plans to make......?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

A 4TC?

Cheers

Paul

Correct, I knew it would be easy.

The only Mk1 EMU cabs I’ve found are from Bh Enterprises and don’t look that good so I’m going to have make them myself.

• RMweb Premium

Correct, I knew it would be easy.

The only Mk1 EMU cabs I’ve found are from Bh Enterprises and don’t look that good so I’m going to have make them myself.

Hi

The TPM ones are much better but also very hard to come by. I managed to get some from the NGS last year when they were selling off the shop stock.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Andy had that happen myself to,railmatch lids they are very brittle I once had one arrive with a cracked lid and it had half emptied into,the bag it was in. I tend to keep old lids as spares now.

I might have to empty a few more gin bottles...........

• RMweb Premium

Hi

The TPM ones are much better but also very hard to come by. I managed to get some from the NGS last year when they were selling off the shop stock.

Cheers

Paul

I didn’t know TPM did them....I’ll see if the NGS shop have any left then might have to keep an eye open for them on eBay.

• RMweb Premium

I didn’t know TPM did them....I’ll see if the NGS shop have any left then might have to keep an eye open for them on eBay.

Hi

Unfortunately the NGS got rid of all the non NGS items last year. EBay is probably your best bet.

Cheers

Paul