Wagon load help during 1950/60's?

Earl Bathurst

Hi

I am after some information to make up some wagon loads for my open wagons, the different the better. I am thinking of using the Bachmann 13 ton high sided steel open wagon what type of loads can be placed in these wagons, also what type of wagons would have carried crates and sheeted loads?

38-327_27302_Qty1_1.jpg

Thanks

It's not really a coal wagon. "General merchandise" I think is the term, so yes, crates, sheeted loads, but not so much bulk materials.

Although later (late 70s/early 80s), many of these and the corresponding 13T 5-plank wooden opens ended up with the engineers fleet as spoil wagons.

• RMweb Premium

For visible (unsheeted) loads you could have: timber, usually overhanging one end (if it overhangs a lot couple an empty wagon at that end); oil drums; drain pipes; bricks; acid carboys packed in straw; barrels (not just for beer); old type containers (put in high sided wagons so they couldn't be opened in transit).

Pete

In addition to the above they also carried cable drums.

In 'Wagons of the Early British Rail Era' 1948-1954 there is a shot of B480010 at Strood in 1969

loaded with a Ford tractor, the next wagon, a shoc-open is similarly loaded.

Where is your layout based on, there may be other traffic specific to that area?

cheers 

Try browsing Flikr and use the year as a search criteria.  Look at what's in the background of shots.  Remember you can usually right clock and view at a higher resolution.  A good source of local information. 

In the 70's the wagon you show ran in block trains from Lydd ARC loaded with shingle.

These all run on a 1950s exhibition layout - might give you some ideas:

bachopen_zps5a6046e2.jpg

lmsdoub_zps62b0ea48.jpg

lowferg_zps64109714.jpg

longlow_zps461aa35b.jpg

100_0345_zpsbf175730.jpg

Obviously you'd need to adapt the lengths or roping to suit a different wagon.

You could also have a look down this thread where I photographed some DUHA wagon loads on a layout I was operating. They're very good but might also give you some ideas for making your own.

• RMweb Premium

You could get away with most loads in that wagon providing that the goods being carried would not spoil if wet. The alternative would be to have an empty wagon with a tarp folded up inside. 

Archived