Canon motor problem.

ozzyo

Hello all,

I've just fitted a MSC gearbox with a Canon motor fitted in a new loco. It runs OKish in forward but in reverse it growls and runs slow. I've run the motor and gearbox out of the frames and noticed that the motor vibrates a bit. The end float is not a lot about 15 - 20 thou. I've had a look at the mounting screws and there is no marks on them to show that the armature is catching on them.

Has anyone any ideas what is up with the motor?

OzzyO.

PS. this is also up on the 7mm Yahoow group.    

What does the motor sound like once detached from the gear train - i.e. no load?

Pretty quiet but it vibrates more then any other Canon motor I've had before. I'm starting to think that it could be a bent armature shaft, or that the brushes are catching on the com. in one direction.

OzzyO.

I would have opted for a replacement after all these are premium motors and they only had to run it to ascertain the fault as you describe it. A replacement would have been in order almost without question. It is not as though it is something they are likely to be able to fix.

Hello Kenton,

the option of a replacement was not offered to me. I had also shown it to a friend that had some power to run it and he agreed with me that the motor was er lacking.

I think that one reason that it was not replaced on the spot was that I'd cut off the second end shaft, like I have done on a lot of the same motor types. The photos below show how I do it,

post-8920-0-02366800-1379423440_thumb.jpgpost-8920-0-45182800-1379423464_thumb.jpgpost-8920-0-72405100-1379423490_thumb.jpgpost-8920-0-84388100-1379423509_thumb.jpgpost-8920-0-58395200-1379423528_thumb.jpgpost-8920-0-24851100-1379423550_thumb.jpgpost-8920-0-06188300-1379423569_thumb.jpg

I'm just waiting to get well it's your fault, as you've cut the shaft off its thrown the motor out of balance. Yes I did get that one once.

It's more like when the "worm" screw was forced on they have bent the shaft.

At about £90 a pop all I want is a replacement.

OzzyO. 

Oh, ah I see (customer adapted) ;) still these are premium motors with a high reputation which should be replaced (almost) without question. Despite all best efforts to mask and avoid metal dust entering the bearing and heat sinking the shaft while cutting it may have been the instigation of the fault.

BTW regarding the question "is a week enough" in my view no not quite but then that's just my opinion (which as we all know gets controversial and moderatededited)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like these motors. Did it have a single washer between the worm and the motor to act as a thrust washer? I also keep the end float to a minimum, The oiled thrust washer then works well.

Hello N15class all,

there is no thrust washer between the worm and motor.

The replacement motor and gearbox arrived today.

OzzyO.

A bit late now, but I wonder if the original motor might have had a faulty winding on one (or more) of its poles.

Hello Pat all,

I did think about that, but I'm not sure that would explain the vibration, using more power in one direction and the growling in one direction.

OzzyO. 

Hello Pat all,

I did think about that, but I'm not sure that would explain the vibration, using more power in one direction and the growling in one direction.

OzzyO. 

I agree that the power consumption thing might be doubtful.   I was thinking that the vibration might be caused by the drive coming in "bang-bang-pause" form, with the pause as the dead pole passes the magnets, rather than "bang-bang-bang".

IIt's all academic now though, with a replacement to hand.

Archived