DJModels announce new models in N, OO and O

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

If Hornby were so keen to put down new ventures before they've got off the ground, then why did they have publicity for Rapido on their stand at RMWeb Live?

This was because Simon has also been working with Locomotion at the NRM and the APT-E is a Rapido release via them.

Anywho this is a little OT for this thread so let's keep it back on topic

Nice collection  of projects there, but when are we going to be able to see, and buy, the models. I am interested in some of them, but the lead time is horrendous. I know also that major investment is required, but why announce so far in advance?

Nice collection  of projects there, but when are we going to be able to see, and buy, the models. I am interested in some of them, but the lead time is horrendous. I know also that major investment is required, but why announce so far in advance?

Hi,

A lot of things have happened since my initial announcements. The worst of this has been 3 major price rises with a 4th to come soon.

This has a major impact on available cash for my own projects, as I don't wish to put my prices up from the announced ones, as this , I think, wouldn't help anyone.

Also please remember that when I have a development on any project of my own range you can ready it here or on the timeline page of my website.

However the J94 is in final preparation for production so shouldn't be long now.

Cheers

Dave

p.s. if a corporate customer would commission a GWR toplight to current standards from DJM, I would be a very happy camper indeed and immediately sign up to buy quite a number (and probably get into hot water with SWMBO due to an "excessive number of purchases")

I would not wish toplights on any manufacturer, seeing how critical customers can be, as witnessed on RW Web. I have been kit building toplights for my layout for the last 25+ years and now have accumilated over 20 coaches running with another 10 to go. Why do I say this. I have no two coaches the same. The variations are a nightmare. Much research has been conducted by David Geen for his kit range and with all the photographic evidence collected (images show up variations not in Swindon records), we have come to the same conclusion. By the early 1930's it is very difficult to find two coaches the same.Not the most economic basis for mass production.

It has surprised me that 1925 stock has not been covered as there is one standard underframe/end/roof length to suit all, Economies of scale readily achieved in manufacturing.

Just an observation

Mike Wiltshire

My "Reply Quoting post" option doesn't appear to be working for some reason.

In post 308 above "Adrianbs" opens by saying that both Hornby and Bachmann announced trading figures which show significant losses I believe.

Admittedly a bit "OT" for the subject of DJM's new product, but while I think Hornby's trading performance has been pretty well documented, I was unaware of Bachmann's trading position or any discussions concerning it (on RMWeb or elsewhere). Is Adrian able to provide any numbers to substantiate his observation (or point us to them)?

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold

My "Reply Quoting post" option doesn't appear to be working for some reason.

In post 308 above "Adrianbs" opens by saying that both Hornby and Bachmann announced trading figures which show significant losses I believe.

Admittedly a bit "OT" for the subject of DJM's new product, but while I think Hornby's trading performance has been pretty well documented, I was unaware of Bachmann's trading position or any discussions concerning it (on RMWeb or elsewhere). Is Adrian able to provide any numbers to substantiate his observation (or point us to them)?

Regards

Roy

Basic numbers for Bachmann are available on the internet although detailed accounts are only available if you pay for them - which I assume Adrian must have done as the basic information which is available shows a pretty good position with a cash holding of £2.03 million against against liabilities of £2.75 million but with assets of  almost £12million.

Comparable figures for Hornby show £619,000 cash holding against liabilities of £16.059 million however assests of £23.4 miliion which gives a networth of £19.27 million at the time the figures were issued.  Neither set of figures of course covers trading profit & loss however it is noticeable that Bachmann's cash holding has increased and gradually crept towards its liabilities while Hornby's has done the opposite.  It does however need to be remembered that Bachmann Europe is a subsidiary company of Kader (who have made losses on 'toys & models').

I look forward to seeing the full Bachmann figures from Adrian as they might make an interesting comparison with Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

So Bachmann have an improving cash position??...

Yes (and it is in fact 'had at their last declared accounting position') but in some respects as they are a subsidiary compnay it all depends what you put where in internal trading.  Now that ex-factory prices have been substantially increased that situation could change, and don't overlook the fact that the numbers are for Bachmaan Europe, not just the UK.

• RMweb Gold

Seriously now

What does that actually mean?

I know the poster often has several axes to grind, and often doesnt make  the best use of the English language, but Im lost as to what that means..... really I am.

In post 308 our resident soothsayer has gone to some lengths,as is his usual style,to give us further pearls of wisdom on the state of the nation and has again come to some pithy ( correct spelling ) conclusions.No doubt he has his sources.As to whether these are correct,only time or the next tablet he chooses to chuck down on us from the blessed Mount will tell.

Is this,I ask myself,the medium or the message ? For what exactly IS the message ? Is this a genuine warning from the prophet of doom that it will all end in tears and we must return to nature and scratch build from fishplates to copper capped chimneys ?

Is there is something behind the Jeremiah soundalike pronouncements that will lead is all like the Israelites into The Promised Land of Forever-Accurate-And -To-Scale ?

This is a DJM thread.....I think......It would be encouraging to display a little happiness and optimism...and not use it as a vehicle for some purpose known only to its author.

I was very conscious that questioning "Adrianbs" comments on the subject of of trading positions of Hornby and Bachmann was not directly linked to DJM new products but as I had never read/heard anything concerning trading losses for Bachmann Industries Europe I was really expecting him to clarify as he seemed to qualify his comment with "I believe" which is at best unhelpful.

Of course the increasing costs in China may impact sales/margins/profitability for any manufacturer with production based there, and greater resilience of manufacturers with established product ranges v's new entrants may well be true (but possibly not, depending on business model), but that is quite another question.

Roy

Hi Griffgriff   Do you mean the Airfix J 69  or the previously announced  Trix/Lilliput J.69  of about 10 years earlier, due just after the E. 3000  O/H electric which was quite a nice model.  If you were ever able to buy one it was 4mm but used a mech out of the approx 3.8mm/ft Trix Western   Still not available apart from the early Grafar N gauge model as an RTR loco.  Very surprised it is not already on DJMs list but perhaps he knows something we don't.  There's even one in York but they are a real minefield although gorgeous in lined GE blue.        Regards  adrianbs

Hi.  The Lilliput J69 was illustrated in a 1961 MRC article. It never materialised. Neither did the standard 4 2-6-0 announced about the same time. How could the Lilliput E3000 share a mechanism with the Trix Western?  It was introduced several years before and had 4 wheeled bogies instead of 6.

Roger.

Archived