DJModels announce new models in N, OO and O

Andy Y

Hi Ian

My post (first of the four above you refer to) relates back to Adrianbs's comment concerning profitability (or not) of mainstream manufacturers. I was questioning the source of his data concerning his comment that Bachmann making losses "I believe". I have simply asked him to confirm the source of his information, I feel it right that having made such a comment he clarify it as it is not something I have read anywhere else (I note that in spite of a further posting in this topic he has not yet done so). I accept that this may not be directly relevant to the topic of DJM's new products in itself, but I do think it is in the context of the subject of new products/profitability and resilience for newcomers.

Adrian's assertion (as I understand it) was that established companies in lean times could fall back on an established product base, something newcomers could not do.

My challenge is that while this may be true, it need not necessarily be relevant at all dependent on the business model involved (e.g. only selling what is pre-ordered not speculative manufacture for just one example).

Regards

Roy

We keep seeing the Moderator or Dave Jones talking about people going off topic or suggesting they start a new topic.  But a new topic one cannot do as only Dave Jones and Andy York have access to this site and therefore you, the buying public have to play along with their tune.

But Adrian is right that Bachmann and Hornby are taking steps to make sure that their business survive the down turn in the market. There have been a number of articles in the financial press regarding the state of the Chinese economy and we have had several warnings on the mainstream news here from the Bank of England and other financial organisations regarding the UK economy looking forward to 2015.

Don't believe what 'Big Dave' says as there is a General Election due next year and he wants your vote, wait till after the General Election and the first budget and boy that wallet is going to be slimmer.  True the economy is looking good but we are still borrowing more each year and that money has to be paid back and it is us the general public who have to raise the cash to pay it back.

Paul Martin of EDM models has published a statement from Bachmann products regarding the 0n30 range and from another source I have this is a policy across the range and a very wise one.

Loconuts

Please let me clarify, Whilst topics at the moment specifically with respect to DJ Models can only be started by Dave Jones or the Admin team, discussions about subjects OT to DJ Models such as the finances of the other manufacturers can be started and continued by anyone in the relevant area of the forum. 

My previous posting was about such OT discussions so please do not try and continue them in this thread or they will be removed.

Don't believe what 'Big Dave' says as there is a General Election due next year and he wants your vote, wait till after the General Election

Loconuts

DJ's running for Prime Minister !! He is spreading himself thinly!

Ahem. What has Dave actually produced yet? Well, one of Dave's joint productions arrives in bulk at Southampton docks in 2 days, if they don't hit an iceberg - we have been tracking the ship all the way from HK via Hugh Flynn's thread - the FTG SPA wagon in 00. Hurray!!! 

Well done Dave and Hugh!

Seeing how there are times when a thread has links to many topics as in this one. A suggestion for a future software release  - How about a section on a posts which allows links to similar subjects or even group them in a virtual group? A limit would need to be set of say no more than 5 linked posts  and these links would need to be displayed on all postings on that thread both prior and post to the links being added.

Happy to get shot out the water on this one! :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Ahem. What has Dave actually produced yet? Well, one of Dave's joint productions arrives in bulk at Southampton docks in 2 days, if they don't hit an iceberg - we have been tracking the ship all the way from HK via Hugh Flynn's thread - the FTG SPA wagon in 00. Hurray!!! 

Well done Dave and Hugh!

Perhaps we should have a game to guess what Adrian disagrees with in that statement

- That Dave helped produce it?

- That the wagons are on the boat?

- That the the boat will dock in 2 days?

- That they are 00 gauge?

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps we should have a game to guess what Adrian disagrees with in that statement

Mike Storey has joined the elite but ever growing club of those who have earned a disagree icon from our resident soothsayer.Wear it with pride! "I'm a troll,foll-de-roll........"

• RMweb Gold

Of course there is the potential problem that the container was taken off the ship enroute (well you have to give the bloke a chance to be sort of right sometimes ;) ).

• 2 weeks later...

Well this thread has been quiet for a little while so I won't be interrupting anything if I ask

a question or two about one of the planned products - the Baby Deltic.

It's the O scale version that interests me.

Does it seem from the CADs that the body sits too high on the chassis ?

( Heljan's OO version sits too high).

If so, is this deliberate and unavoidable - to allow the bogies to pivot, to provide clearance

for the wheel flanges or the air reservoirs, or something ?

I'm not trying to find problems where none exist.  I'm just wondering.

And a question for anyone thinking about the O scale version:

would anybody be interested in buying some suburban coaches to go with the loco

if DJ were to produce them ?

That is, would there be a big enough demand - for 'short' coaches like the Thompson

suburbans for example ?

Cheers.

Pete M.

Well this thread has been quiet for a little while so I won't be interrupting anything if I ask

a question or two about one of the planned products - the Baby Deltic.

It's the O scale version that interests me.

Does it seem from the CADs that the body sits too high on the chassis ?

( Heljan's OO version sits too high).

If so, is this deliberate and unavoidable - to allow the bogies to pivot, to provide clearance

for the wheel flanges or the air reservoirs, or something ?

I'm not trying to find problems where none exist.  I'm just wondering.

And a question for anyone thinking about the O scale version:

would anybody be interested in buying some suburban coaches to go with the loco

if DJ were to produce them ?

That is, would there be a big enough demand - for 'short' coaches like the Thompson

suburbans for example ?

Cheers.

Pete M.

Hi Pete,

To allay fears, the O gauge 23 will have a much closer gap than appears on the cad/cam, as I always try and get this altered once I have a feel for it in first EP sample.

Cheers

Dave

Just spotted in the Jan edition of Model Rail that the Holden F5 Trust is looking to get Dave to establish a 'crowd sourced' model of the F5 to help funding for the planned replica build.

The Trust is seeking expressions of interest first via an online survey:

www.surveymonkey.com/s/YRKGHS3  It only takes a few minutes to complete.

Put me down for a couple (at least!!)

2013, a new company is announced ,with a mouth watering schedule of models. I am interested in some of them, but, so far, no production models. I realize that these things take time and a lot of money but I am concerned about the time it's taken to get product available to buy. 

• RMweb Gold

2013, a new company is announced ,with a mouth watering schedule of models. I am interested in some of them, but, so far, no production models. I realize that these things take time and a lot of money but I am concerned about the time it's taken to get product available to buy. 

I would leave it to Dave to worry about that :lol:

With the N-gauge Society reluctantly coming to the conclusion that the gestation period for ANY new model is nearer two years than one the fact we have seen nothing in the shops in 15 months since DJM launched isn't much of a worry.

If we get to 6th June (21 months) with no sales it might benearer the time to start commenting about the lack of them.....

All the very best

Les

edited for typo

Why is a concern of yours?

I'd have thought it would be a concern of mine, as its my money. Lol

Archived