Three Bridges Thameslink Depot

• RMweb Premium

No problem.......

What you can see in this view looking south is.........

Left: Downside Yard, carriage cleaning shed and berthing sidings....yet to be laid

Right; Maintenance shed, traincrew depot and berthing sidings....yet to be laid.  Far distance the steel work is for the wheel lathe building. Far right is the ROC.

Image is taken from the new footbridge that straddles the Brighton mainline

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

An update of the work at Three Bridges. Track laying has started on the downside yard working from the Brighton end of the yard northwards. It has also just started on the upside yard and again is progressing from south to north. I have added a lot more photos to my gallery at http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p48599615 but here are a few to start with

p751093027-4.jpg

This will be the site of the western sidings 5 roads 12 cars long.

p693352678-4.jpgT

The main depot building

p613822129-4.jpg

The very narrow access road under the Three Bridges to Horsham line.

p783472041-4.jpg

The main depot building looking SE. The tracks in the foreground I think used to access the EWS / Virgin trains shed now demolished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ooooops... The Balfour Beatty sidings that they use to stable Tampers etc has been severed whilst new points to access the western sidings are installed. Shame they didn't move the Tramm and flat wagons!! They'll be stuck there for a while, I will try and a get a picture, odd looking thing. It is stabled where the Tamper is in #4.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some more photos showing progress at Three Bridges plus an unexpected delivery last weekend 5/10/14. The sidings to the left are now being laid,

p848589247-4.jpg

This baby tamper arrived on the back of a low loader

p955349583-4.jpg

The Tamper was then unchained, these jacks placed along side and the Tamper started up!.........so outside I went to find out what was going on.

p537425416-4.jpg

The tamper was connected to the jacks and used its hydraulic system to lift itself off the lowloader.

p883853308-4.jpg

p808666457-4.jpg

Oyyy! You can't park that there!

p1031955308-4.jpg

The lorry was driven away to leave the Tamper in mid air. Another low loader was backed up and the Tamper lowered on to this

p663461953-4.jpg

p838209279-4.jpg

p952814264-4.jpg

p555359295-4.jpg

The reason for all this was that due to the low bridge on the access road into the site the first trailer was low enough to get the Tamper in but to big to get it to the tracks for unloading. The second low loader was too high for the bridge but short enough to get to the unloading point at the southern end of the site.

Archived