Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Aylestone Depot

shanks522

Hello all,

i cut and fitted the next section of incline yesterday, its not fully secured yet as i need to adjust it here and there but to make sure the gradient was alright i temporarily laid some track to test it, I also made a little video today showing a ballast train working from the fiddle yard to the furthest point on the layout so far. The main reason i've done it is because almost all of what is in the video will be hidden when the layout is complete so it makes a nice record for the future.

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been working on the layout at a steady pace this last week and got lots of the boring electrical work done, Today though i received a Lima 73 i won on Ebay and to say i'm pleased with it is an understatement, I'm extremely pleased! Complete repaint into Pullman livery and DCC chipped as well. 

post-6774-0-96236300-1389995317_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 7

Nice work Graham, is the lining done with transfers or by hand?

Hi Mark,

I really haven't a clue? I noticed it on ebay a few days ago and it stood out because of the painted bogie detail, didn't realise it was a complete repaint, looks like the lining is a transfer.

Cheers

Graham.

Hello all,

Another productive weekend of work on the layout. A few hours were spent securing the incline away from the tunnel mouth towards the top level, all is fixed in place now with some 40 mm side protection boards added, eventually scenery will probably cover all these but they serve two purposes, one keeping any stock safe that fancy's taking flying lessons and two, it strengthens all the structures. 

post-6774-0-71668600-1390168815_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-00451100-1390168821_thumb.jpg

I also had a little tidy up and built a removable board that will house a depot or something similar, this is behind the door of the room but i wanted to utilize the space rather than waste it, I've been playing around with idea's and hopefully if all goes to plan one of the the lines to/from the fiddle yard will emerge here briefly with some signalling protecting a junction, should all add to the operating potential. 

post-6774-0-39276700-1390169455_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-03872500-1390169496_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 5

Hello all,

A few more hours work done this week, first off some track laying from the fiddle yard up onto the second level as far as the pointwork for the soon to be depot, and second yet more wiring to the small control panel for the lower junction. In fact its finished now, nothing to exciting but easy control of the point's and simple display to see whats going on.

A couple of snapshots whilst playing trains. 

post-6774-0-27550300-1390778128_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-56330800-1390778135_thumb.jpg

Current state of chaos and depot planning.

post-6774-0-24050200-1390778144_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

This evening i fancied doing a bit of cooking, cooking retaining walls that is.

Part of the middle section of the layout will be in a short cutting and i needed to dry fit the retaining walls to establish the shape for the top level baseboards.

Nothing to complicated, a large saucepan of hot/warm water simmering on the hob, place in one section of wall for approximately 1 minute, remove and bend to shape, this has to be done fairly quickly as it cools quite fast, once the desired curve is achieved plunge straight into cold water and the resin should harden instantly. 

post-6774-0-15513600-1391986566_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-26499500-1391986713_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-82436400-1391986675_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 8

Quick question is the station building going to be the scenic break over the station ?

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Yes there will be a station building, road/townscene etc, It will cut across the platforms forming the scenic break, the visible platforms should be around 4 coaches long. 

Graham.

Hi graham thanks for that. I look forward to seeing your work progress on the layout.

the scenic area with the retaining walls how much of that is going to be visable ? sorry if you have already answered that one already i couldnt find it.

stuart

• Like 1

Hello all,

I'm working on the layout little and often at the moment, mainly on electrics but this evening laid a few yards of track. 

Heres the current end of line in both directions, the pair of cromptons are sitting in the depot headshunt, the lowest track being the storage sidings and line with the buffer stop just about to reach level three.

post-6774-0-87597800-1392761859_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 5

Hello all,

Had a good few hours work on the layout over the last few days, more drilling, cutting and soldering and i have my first signal fitted.

It is automated using a Heathcote electronics Mass sequencer which makes life very simple and is interlocked with the point accessing the depot.

post-6774-0-87348500-1393279351_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-29143600-1393279362_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 10