Aylestone Depot

shanks522

Hello all,

Back to track and wiring this weekend.

Half the trackwork in the yard has been laid, took longer than usual as the point motors are in awkward positions.

post-6774-0-69794900-1424038144_thumb.jpg

Also been playing around with the lighting of the room, Above the depot is wall mounted unit which has been casting a shadow over the whole area, I was going to fit a small florescent style lamp but the light was so different from the downlights in the ceiling that it looked ridiculous. Solution was to put a downlight beneath the cabinet using LED lamps to keep the heat down, so far so good.

post-6774-0-98946500-1424038153_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 10

Looks very busy TMD depot Graham :senile:

Is is Neil, Reminds me not to buy any more loco's! 

Speaking of loco's here is one which has been away for attention with mr Legomanbiffo.

It was a factory fitted sound model which has had a new speaker fitted and Biffs new 37/4 sounds added, very pleased indeed. 

cheers

Graham. 

• Like 5

Hello all,

New toy arrived today, A Hornby shark in Mainline livery.

The sharks are lovely models but the blue on this one seems excessively bright, more NSE blue rather than Mainline blue, touch of weathering i think.

post-6774-0-18956400-1424208033_thumb.jpg

Also got a shed load of plasticard turn up which means i can get on with the depot building.

Graham.

• Like 7

Hello all,

Spent another hour on the shed, all the roof beams and side framework are done so i can now start on the lower brickwork then onto cladding.

I'm going to experiment with will's asbestos and metal cladding to see which looks better.

post-6774-0-17647800-1424467249_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-92757800-1424467255_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 7

Hello all,

New toy arrived today, A Hornby shark in Mainline livery.

The sharks are lovely models but the blue on this one seems excessively bright, more NSE blue rather than Mainline blue, touch of weathering i think.

attachicon.gifMainline shark.jpg

Also got a shed load of plasticard turn up which means i can get on with the depot building.

Shed load, very good.

Graham.

• Like 1

That sheds looking mighty fine Graham. Good work.

Cheers Scott, its getting there slowly.

Hi Graham.... The shed is starting to look the business ,you have got enough clearance for an overhead gantry crane have you thought about putting one in?....just a thought

Jez

Hi Jez, I have considered an overhead crane, depends on what space is taken up by the mechanism i use for the operating doors.

shed looks great mate

Thanks WCML100.

Shed load, very good.

Graham.

A pun without trying. thanks.

The Shed looks great Shanks.

Can I say every other roof truss should have a cross brace as you have done with the end trusses.

Keep the pictures coming.

Pete

Hi Pete, Duly noted about the roof trusses, I was going to fit something up there just haven't got round to it yet. 

Thanks all for the kind comments / Likes etc.

Graham.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I seem to be jumping from one job to another at the moment, today saw a bit of a milestone in that the last piece of baseboard ( for the moment ) was screwed in place and the track laid through the station area, The pointwork isn't finished as i'm one point short but other than that i now have two fully working circuits.

post-6774-0-18314900-1424636843_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-34941800-1424636849_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham. 

• Like 11

The TMD looks the business. All that nice framework will look great when photos are taken looking inside.

I find the Wills sheets are really good. I've got some of the cladding for the loading area on mine, from what I've seen it looks very nice.

Jinty ;-)

• Like 1

Looks superb!

Thanks Southwich.

The TMD looks the business. All that nice framework will look great when photos are taken looking inside.

I find the Wills sheets are really good. I've got some of the cladding for the loading area on mine, from what I've seen it looks very nice.

Jinty ;-)

Cheers Jinty, I bought a load of evergreen cladding but i think the Wills may look better once fitted.

The shed is looking superb!  Very much looking forward to seeing the cladding etc. Top drawer !!

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Nice work ! Your track plan looks like its going to live up to your usual awesome standard. Looking forward to watching this one unfold , will be following with interest ! 

Marcus 

Hi Marcus, Not quite as confusing as the last layout, with the two levels i can get scale length trains (hopefully).

Depot looks spot on my mate!!

Looking forward to another update now :locomotive:

cheers neil..

Thanks Neil, Hopefully Depot work will continue next week.

Graham.

• Like 1

Hello all,

Had a few hours spare this afternoon so finished off the pointwork approaching the station, I still have the motors and associated wiring to finish but that can wait for the minute, much more fun testing trains.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 6

Hello all,

Been plodding through the yard trackwork and i've got a little dilemma, next to the bay platform i was going to put a siding in, slightly overgrown etc,I had a spare point and thought i'd split into two, maybe a brake van/crane siding and one for locos. The problem i've got is does it look over the top?

post-6774-0-13999300-1425589110_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• Like 3

I would probably stick with the one. I have had the same issue on my layout, the temptation to put extra sidings in is always there , but sometimes a bit of space really opens up the scene....

That's my opinion , but your are the trackplan expert as you are constantly proving so I would go with your gut instincts :)

Marcus 

Thanks Marcus, After playing around with some track i'm going to stick with one overgrown siding.

Always nice to have some small pockets of green scenery within sidings area...

Cheers "66" I'm aiming for some overgrown area's between the station and yard.

Graham.

• Like 1

Hello all,

Work on the branch signalling today,

First up the signal protecting the station, with a PLS and feathers to access the yard.

post-6774-0-87355600-1425762819_thumb.jpg

Then a red light on the stops of the bay, looks fairly easy putting one lamp in but with two baseboard levels was quite complicated.

post-6774-0-10454000-1425762823_thumb.jpg

I've still got two more signals to fit, one as a platform starter and another close to the tunnel mouth which will also double up as limit of shunt.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 5