Aylestone Depot

shanks522

Thank you all for the reply's and idea's.

Regarding the depot plan I like the first depot setup best, new stock looks good

David

Thanks David.

Wouldn't a carriage wash be on the approach rather than next to the shed?

Your right but i'm working in a small space and just looking at ways to make the depot a little more interesting.

Gillingham's carriage washer is sort of beside the shed, at least it's not on a road leading into the shed.

I had forgotten about gillingham, need to find some photo's now.

LIking the new Jaffa, that livery brings back fond memories of days gone.

For what its worth, I prefer the first track plan without the washing plant.

Cheers Scott, I do like the Jaffa cake livery, i think i'l need a CEP to match now! 

Still undecided about the depot at the moment, i think i'l make some mock ups in card to see what looks best, unfortunately the layout/railway room is full of projects tools etc so work is particularly slow of late but hopefully when time allows i shall make some progress! 

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 2

Is there or has there ever been a prototypical example of a washer on a dead end siding?

that said, I think I prefer the 2nd plan, but with some other use for the rear siding, eg. crane, stored stock or just shunters perhaps?

I spotted a washer on a deadend siding on Overground tube line next to the Birmingham to Euston line.

Managed to find it on Bing maps http://binged.it/1pRFVt0 - just to the East (left) of this postcode.

Hope this helps

Hi Sam,

Thanks for that, interesting place to have a washer and unusual to have such a short run beyond it. 

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late, but hopefully still useful, the Gillingham washer in use in 1985. It's on a road right next to the main line, and one of two roads with narrow platforms (for cleaning staff?). The shed is to the right, with more stabling sidings in the distance.

View taken from the level crossing footbridge (Ingram Road) at the W end of the depot, looking E. The depot itself is to the E of the station.

Sorry, the notice between the two trains isn't legible. That's a driver's head poking out from the far end of the right hand unit. 

post-6971-0-71102300-1404677029.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, 

Work on the layout is almost non existent at the moment as i'm working 7 days a week although i've been plodding along with boring jobs like wiring when i get an hour free, i have also been browsing ebay far to much and picked up some new toys.

First up a Hornby 67 with Howes sound fitted, It doesn't fit the timescale of the layout but i have a few networkers and 66's so could run the layout from 2000 onwards if i choose. I am seriously impressed with the 67, After reading all the reviews when it first came out i was a little sceptical but am glad i've now got one, The gradients on the layout really do test the locos and the 67 has had no problems whatsoever. 

All in all i great model that i'm very pleased with.

post-6774-0-70083700-1407274575_thumb.jpg

Next up are the Bachmann TEA's, I've always liked these but didn't buy any when they first came out so now on the lookout for more BP crude oil ones, Also need to find a reason why 100 ton tankers would be in mid Kent! 

post-6774-0-92159300-1407274584_thumb.jpg

Hopefully i'l get something more productive done soon rather than playing trains.

Graham.

• Like 7

Hello all,

Actually did some work on the layout today! Firstly i had a big clean up and unearthed the depot area, It has been a general dumping ground over the last few months so i thought i'd get it tidy and crack on with the wiring. Nothing to over the top just adding droppers to each track and wiring the points up to a Hex frog juicer, once all was connected i had a little test.

General view.

post-6774-0-12846500-1407957791_thumb.jpg

33002 leaving the depot with some newly acquired Rudd wagons.

post-6774-0-69831200-1407957784_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 8

Hello all,

Wiring! my least favourite job!

I built a small panel controlling some hidden pointwork on the mid level of the layout a while back and although it works fine it only covers a short section of track, if i continue with this method i'm going to end up with about 5 or 6 small panels, again nothing wrong with that but i'd prefer to work off 1 or 2 so today i started to build a new one which will cover most of the top two levels.

I drew up a basic trackplan on the computer and printed it on some gloss self adhesive paper, I then marked out and drilled all the holes for the push to make switches, 

once they were all fitted i then marked out where i would like all the LED's to go and drilled those holes, I'm now in the process of disconnecting the old panel and about to rewire into the new one.

Big Panel Little Panel.

post-6774-0-41741900-1408284063_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 2

After two hours of transferring wires and LEDs the new panel is in place.

The only thing i'm not happy with are some of LED's that can display either Red or Green, they are a much brighter than the existing ones and it spoils the overall look, not to sure what i'l do about that yet.

post-6774-0-11716500-1408296193_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

The first proper day off in what seems like an age and i thought i'd have a good few hours to work on the layout, how wrong was I! Started off with me deciding to have a massive clear up in the railway room, I've been buying up quite a bit of stock of late and there are boxes everywhere so the first job was to dispose of all the parcel packaging then put all the stock boxes into the loft for safe keeping. I then had great idea to clear out of all the cupboards, feeling rather ruthless i've thrown away all those things that you keep because they might come in handy and in doing so created quite a bit of space! What i thought would take an hour or so has ended up taking the best part of 6 hours, Its not like the days been wasted but i would have preferred to be more productive on the layout.

The one job i did do was fit more Kadee's to my recently acquired Rudd wagons, Amazing how much space is gained by closing the gap up.

post-6774-0-71044100-1409429098_thumb.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow will be more proactive!

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 7

Hello all, 

Work on the layout is almost non existent at the moment as i'm working 7 days a week although i've been plodding along with boring jobs like wiring when i get an hour free, i have also been browsing ebay far to much and picked up some new toys.

First up a Hornby 67 with Howes sound fitted, It doesn't fit the timescale of the layout but i have a few networkers and 66's so could run the layout from 2000 onwards if i choose. I am seriously impressed with the 67, After reading all the reviews when it first came out i was a little sceptical but am glad i've now got one, The gradients on the layout really do test the locos and the 67 has had no problems whatsoever. 

All in all i great model that i'm very pleased with.

attachicon.gifEWS 67001.jpg

Next up are the Bachmann TEA's, I've always liked these but didn't buy any when they first came out so now on the lookout for more BP crude oil ones, Also need to find a reason why 100 ton tankers would be in mid Kent! 

attachicon.gifBP tankers TEA's.jpg

Hopefully i'l get something more productive done soon rather than playing trains.

Graham.

The reason a crude oil tank might be in kent is due to Fawley Oil refinery :    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawley_Refinery