M7 branch line shared with GWR?

GraemeR BR (WR)

• RMweb Premium

I don't know for sure of an M7 was used, but SR locomotives often strayed onto the MSWJR / GWR, at least as far as Ludgershall, there is even record of a Great Eastern Loco making to Ludgershall!

The Q

• 2 weeks later...

The branch to Portland from Weymouth was operated by the GWR and SR jointly or alternately

there are photos of M7s though I think O2s were more common,

cheers 

And I always thought the M7's were too heavy an axle load for the severely restricted bridge over the entrance to the 'Fleet', you live and learn.

And I always thought the M7's were too heavy an axle load for the severely restricted bridge over the entrance to the 'Fleet', you live and learn.

I found a photo of 30107 at Portland, but on an enthusiast special in 1957 after passenger services had finished.

So you are probably correct, M7s would not be seen on normal services, but at least they were there!

cheers  

Hi,

Barnstaple Junction Station & Barnstaple Town Station via the girder bridge over the River Taw, from about 1940 to early sixties was a location where M7's used GWR/WR running lines. 

M7's were the choice of light yard / shunter at the junction station. They were also pressed into passenger / freight service during peak periods.

The GWR shared the joint line from Barnstaple Victoria Road Station (GWR & Western Region), to Ilfracombe.

43xx Moguls were regularly held at Braunton & Ilfracombe sidings, as the choice of banking engine for the ascent to Ilfracombe / Barnstaple via Mortehoe.

On busy summer weekends, there were a good number waiting at each of these stations. M7's were also utilised in this fashion.

There is a lovely DVD entitled 'Memories of the Barnstaple to Ilfracombe Line' distributed by Branch Line Video, which shows all of the above.

Hope this is of some help.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Brentor had an lswr station with a gwr branch running right alongside. It's in the OPC book an historical survey of southern stations

Similarly, Launceston was the end of a GWR branch, while being on the LSWR route to Padstow. The signalbox operated both "stations". Sadly I don't think M7s often ventured across the LSWR route beyond Halwill, due to it being a bit taxing for what were designed as London suburban tanks!

• RMweb Gold

A small clip from a negative taken 1960 at Ilfracombe. In the background of the shot an N Class and 43xx were shunting the stock for the Ilfracombe - Wolverhampton train. They would double-head over the hill to Barnstaple where the N would come off and the 43xx continue to Taunton. The engine was changed there and the Minehead portion added.

I think the Spamcan was on the 'ACE'.

post-9767-0-60306800-1379582590.jpg

Hi,

Barnstaple Junction Station & Barnstaple Town Station via the girder bridge over the River Taw, from about 1940 to early sixties was a location where M7's used GWR/WR running lines. 

M7's were the choice of light yard / shunter at the junction station. They were also pressed into passenger / freight service during peak periods.

The GWR shared the joint line from Barnstaple Victoria Road Station (GWR & Western Region), to Ilfracombe.

43xx Moguls were regularly held at Braunton & Ilfracombe sidings, as the choice of banking engine for the ascent to Ilfracombe / Barnstaple via Mortehoe.

On busy summer weekends, there were a good number waiting at each of these stations. M7's were also utilised in this fashion.

There is a lovely DVD entitled 'Memories of the Barnstaple to Ilfracombe Line' distributed by Branch Line Video, which shows all of the above.

Hope this is of some help.

Rob

Huge thanks Rob, and indeed everyone for all the fabulous responses. They are really useful, and I must get hold of a copy of the DVD you mention.

Archived