New BRM sneak previews of content

Andy Y

The previous topic about the 'new' BRM which will be published in October (November issue) related to the front cover change of style and the masthead to brief readers that there will be something different about the magazine on the newsstand and when it drops through the letterbox.

Some were keen to see what's going onside the magazine so now we'll start showing some of the inner pages so you can get a feel for the style changes. The design is cleaner and the images will mainly have more prominence with most features having an attention grabbing page at the start. The shot below is a double page spread of the lead layout, Ian Mellors' Summat Colliery.

summat6.jpg

The shot below is a double page spread of the lead layout

No place to comment on the layout - completely inappropriate to comment on that here.

I do like the idea of one inviting photo of each presented layout though would ask, is a double page (with staples, creases) really needed? Hoping that the photos do not mean a loss in the text describing the layout.

Also, although excellent photography is always welcome when presenting layouts this one plays to one of my pet hates - unnecessary photoshopping. Too much arty f@rty and not realism. I actually like to see in a magazine presentation exactly what I would see if I was standing viewing the layout live at a show - with all its faults and outstanding modelling. I do not want to see someone's imagination or interpretation of it trying to sell me something that simply isn't real. Photoshopped photos put me off a magazine, honesty and quality modelling reality makes me want to buy it.

is a double page (with staples, creases) really needed? Hoping that the photos do not mean a loss in the text describing the layout.

It depends on the subject matter to be honest. I also try to take images that work in portrait format.

It certainly won't be at the expense of text; just set out in a different fashion.

As to whether you like 'arty-farty- shots that's a subjective matter; the reader survey indicated that people prefer more dynamic imagery rather than helicopter shots (which is what you see most of the time at a show with your own eye but at least the subject matter is moving). A 2D image on the page conveys little of the activity that's taking place; some photoshoppery can enhance that. In a few talks this year I've asked people for their honest feedback on the subject matter, some don't like it, some love it and the majority sit in between. I always ask a layout owner what their preferences are too; on a recent shoot the layout owner qualified why he didn't normally like it but I've shown him some snaps with and without and his facial expression revealed he did like the ones with.

• RMweb Premium

I like the less cluttered look and the placing of the Factfile box which was often tucked away in the article somewhere; I too wonder about the double-page spread image as previous ones have lost the centre section quite dramatically, but if there's going to be single page landscape pics as well that should balance it out a bit.

Looking good...

David

Hi Andy,

Looks very clear and simple.

Only thing I'd question is the size of text when using a double page for an image - if you are reading the digital version, to get the double spread image visible, you have to turn your ipad landscape, so text gets v v small.

Probably not a major issue if 90% readership is still 'print', but as digital increases, formatting will become more important

David

if you are reading the digital version, to get the double spread image visible, you have to turn your ipad landscape, so text gets v v small.

Probably not a major issue if 90% readership is still 'print', but as digital increases, formatting will become more important

You're quite right; it's a point for consideration.

• RMweb Gold

I'm another fan of the double page spread. I also rather like a bit of photo shoppery, if subtly done it can add movement and drama to shot. What you will need to be careful of when blowing up pictures that big is that you have a firm control of print quality. The pictures of Highbury that you sent to me were stunning and remain some of my favourites taken of the layout, unfortunately those printed in BRM were, to be honest, awful and did neither you or I any favours.

Best of luck with the makeover, I shall be buying a copy of the new BRM and not waiting for my normal freebie at the end of the month - hows that for faith!!

Jerry

Knowing your photography Andy, the pictures themselves will be spot-on.  But I'm old fashioned when it comes to layout design and prefer captions to be under the picture rather than in white cut-aways on the image itself. Sometimes it is necessary, but in the main I prefer pictures uncluttered except perhaps for the story title. To me, once an image get plastered with boxes of text, it becomes an advertisement.

• RMweb Premium

Its a difficult balance, some may prefer the loco without a bit of 'photosmoke' but...   do I really want to see the insides of the owners garage / clubroom (other locations for layouts are available) as a back ground - its where you draw a line. 

For me that looks ok

I am also very greatful for photoshopping out 'bits of fluff, the missed cobweb and surplus glue etc) our own eye / brain combo is quite good at 'shopping ' that out when we see things in the flesh

Andy

When we were compiling the contents for the relaunch issue it's fair to say that Steve wanted to include an N gauge layout, being honest I didn't have anything in the bag that really lit my fire (something coming soon though) so I stuck my neck out and said that we should go for something completely different, chosen on quality.

Franck's 'Woolacombe', which I'm sure many readers of these pages will be familiar with is a complete departure from familiar territory to the magazine's readers. I feel it features some of the most superlative subtleties and provides something that most of us will be able to be inspired by or learn from; yes it's a fictitious railway, it's narrow gauge and certainly not a British modeller. I don't care, I think it's marvellous and everyone else at the office was won over.

When was the last time you saw blocks of ice modelled?

Detail_5s.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Every week when I visit the High Wycombe and District MRS club room and look at our Prospect Valley layout, with ice being prepared for loading into refrigerated box cars :tongue2:

post-243-0-63741300-1379345502.jpg

Seriously your picture looks great the fish and ice, along with every else is very convincing.

• RMweb Gold

When we were compiling the contents for the relaunch issue it's fair to say that Steve wanted to include an N gauge layout, being honest I didn't have anything in the bag that really lit my fire (something coming soon though) so I stuck my neck out and said that we should go for something completely different, chosen on quality.

Franck's 'Woolacombe', which I'm sure many readers of these pages will be familiar with is a complete departure from familiar territory to the magazine's readers. I feel it features some of the most superlative subtleties and provides something that most of us will be able to be inspired by or learn from; yes it's a fictitious railway, it's narrow gauge and certainly not a British modeller. I don't care, I think it's marvellous and everyone else at the office was won over.

attachicon.gifDetail_5s.jpg

Are you sure the scales are to scale ... hat, coat etc :jester:   (But that said they do look very impressive and the level of detail is definitely specs+magnifying glass territory for me.)

attachicon.gifDetail_5s.jpg

Are those scales to scale? (I typed this at the same time as you, Mike..)

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

....  Hoping that the photos do not mean a loss in the text describing the layout. ....

.... It certainly won't be at the expense of text; just set out in a different fashion. ....

I'm glad to hear this. I've noticed over the years that the ratio of photos to words has increased (all magazines, not just BRM). While the greater number and generally improved quality of images is very welcome, I'd like to see a similar emphasis placed on the text. A picture worth a thousand words? I'd like to think they were complementary rather than a choice between one or the other.

Sorry, but I don't feel that I have a "picture" of Woolacombe in my mind after looking at that article. Ptobably in part due to the lack of track plan, but there is not an "overall view" type photo either.

Ed

I thought the gottle of geer was overscale, but then I defer to others' expertise in this area.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice and Woolacombe certainly looks larger than it is, the fact there's so much detail that you can create an article that means people think they're missing how it all fits together is a tribute in itself. Search out Francks thread it's well worth it.

Very glad to see the unusual scale and narrow gauge featured prominently :)

Guest Celticwardog

Re: photshopping looks to be only the sky and the smoke effect. Im ok with little touches like that. However if a crappy paint job is touched in or Andy has given himself a mullet that would be a bit wrong haha (I'm also a bonehead too before the forum accuses me of baldism!)

This also raises a really good point. Layouts are so much better viewed at eye level, one of the reasons mag photos often look better than reality. Layout I'm helping on is designed to be viewed and will be exhibited as such and would recommend the same to anyone if its practical.

As for the mag I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, more modern & clean look, nice! I can almost smell those fishies (eeeeeeew)

After all the frothing I was prepared to be underwhelmed with the new look BRM, but must say,after a quick flip through, IMHO many congratulations are  due to the team for a fine looking magazine, I look forward to a more  leisurely peruse-might give it one more issue then consider a subscription! That would be good timing 'cos anytime now,I'll be cancelling one of my two remaining model railway mag subscriptions, just leaving the good old RM (described by Steve Flint when I was chatting to him recently as a "comfortable pair of slippers but with a fresh look and interesting innovations"-or words to that effect- he definitely mentioned slippers!

It looks like I posted a Thanks To Andy about Woolcombe at the time the site went down, so I'll repeat it. Thanks for the info about looking at Page 52 Andy, but as someone who normally thinks in 4mm scale It was difficult for me (and I assume others) to imagine Woolacombe in its entirety so an overall picture which could have included its lighting rig, ie how one would see it at an exhibition would have been both useful and informative.

A track plan is always useful and much was made in the pre-amble to the re-design of better track plans.

Archived