New BRM sneak previews of content

Andy Y

Point taken Alan; unfortunately there wasn't enough space to get a shot showing floor to ceiling. Franck's lighting rig was unusually a single, powerful spot lamp on a pole which gave strong unidirectional light replicating a bit of Devon sunshine.

after all the brouhaha I today purchased and read the magazine cover-to-cover. very happy. still not sure about the 'name change', but the new layout itself it very good imo, and lots of nice modelling features. great photos too. I didn't feel any photoshopping got in the way. :)

Guest Celticwardog

Picked up my copy yesterday. Very happy with the new look and layout. To be honest not too many layouts that interested me this issue (too many kettles haha), but you always find this and other issues will have interest. Best thing I think is the how to sections, very clearly laid out and easy to follow projects. It's like a totally different mag and the reboot is great.

My only beef and isn't at BRM its that the products reviewed are the same ones in the all the other mags. Unavoidable with such limited trickle releases from most companies its no wonder but does wear thin when you read the umpteenth review of something.

This also raises a really good point. Layouts are so much better viewed at eye level, one of the reasons mag photos often look better than reality. Layout I'm helping on is designed to be viewed and will be exhibited as such and would recommend the same to anyone if its practical.

Sadly that raises an outcry from the vertically challenged, those who have to bring children (gad forbid) to shows or are disabled. Chairs for arm-chair modellers visitors to sit and view (not too comfy mind)

My only beef and isn't at BRM its that the products reviewed are the same ones in the all the other mags. Unavoidable with such limited trickle releases from most companies its no wonder but does wear thin when you read the umpteenth review of something.

But I think Warners have this idea that you only need to buy Brmmm and therefore don't need to buy all those other similar magazines with duplicate reviews. Of course the sceptics will say that they are all the same because that is what the manufacturer's provide them with. :evil:

Of course the sceptics will say that they are all the same because that is what the manufacturer's provide them with. :evil:

True to a degree (and it doesn't go down too well sometimes if you miss out a key release) but most mags try to seek out content for themselves too as a lot of 'cottage industries' don't exactly tell anyone what they're up to.

Sadly that raises an outcry from the vertically challenged, those who have to bring children (gad forbid) to shows or are disabled.

Of course it's always easier to get a higher view - wear high heels, carry a soap-box or, for children, wait until they grow up  :D   -  rather than chop a bit off ones legs or stoop and get a bad back.

G.

Guest Celticwardog

Sadly that raises an outcry from the vertically challenged, those who have to bring children (gad forbid) to shows or are disabled. Chairs for arm-chair modellers visitors to sit and view (not too comfy mind)

But I think Warners have this idea that you only need to buy Brmmm and therefore don't need to buy all those other similar magazines with duplicate reviews. Of course the sceptics will say that they are all the same because that is what the manufacturer's provide them with. :evil:

Both good points Kenton. Have to confess I didn't consider anyone either short or in a wheelchair for that matter. Don't care about kids, they should be banned (and not just from rail shows!) or those idiots with huge rucksacks smacking into everyone. I will still continue to buy other mags, there is always articles of some interest. I find reviews a bit pointless anyway, it's only ever going to be someone elses opinion. If I like a loco or product I like it, I really don't care about some missed detail I wouldn't have noticed anyway. Raises another thought bubble, do Hornby products ever get bad reviews in the Hornby mag? I doubt it very much!

Popped round to visit a good friend this a.m. and lo and behold he had a copy of BRM....So I had a quick suss. The images are superb but I cannot come to terms with the cut & paste style of presentation. The magazine may contain very good stories but the presentation puts me off delving. BRM is certainly not alone in this so the problem must lie with me.  Although I keep up to date with technology where it is of assitance or useful, I won't budge on tradition page layout when it is easier on my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard kindly sent me a complimentary copy of BRM (as is). I really need to digest it more fully before responding.

At first glance the photography is outstanding! Nice weight of paper (before I opened the envelope I thought at least two copies were inside).

Later, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

The old style BRM looked tired and was certainly not up to its competitors, the revamped BRM is IMHO a huge leap forward in quality and has a clean fresh approach with some superb photography. Lots of layouts and 'how to' sections. I think it needs a couple of issues to settle into its stride but on the evidence of the first issue all bodes well for the future.

• RMweb Gold

The old style BRM looked tired and was certainly not up to its competitors, the revamped BRM is IMHO a huge leap forward in quality and has a clean fresh approach with some superb photography. Lots of layouts and 'how to' sections. I think it needs a couple of issues to settle into its stride but on the evidence of the first issue all bodes well for the future.

I completely agree, and I generally have no problem with box outs either, especially if the information doesn't quite fit the main narrative - I suppose they are like footnotes. The only time when they became annoying, and something to guard against, was about a year ago when they got in the way of a how-to article. I forget which mag it was. There were more box-outs than main text, and the article became hopelessly confusing. Looking forward to next month. :)

• RMweb Gold

I like the look of the revamped magazine, but one thing appears to be missing - the date of the next issue!  

Lovely great big BRM next month logo top left of the next month advert inside the back cover - obviously this took up so much space there wasn't any space left to inform us when it will be on sale!

Archived