Thornton Road, Virgin west coast in 2003

Swifty11

Well, about time I should let you know about the other layout I have... The newly named Thornton Road
My already built, well I say already built, kinda half built undergoing refurbishment layout is set in roughly 2003 and is set in the transition period when 86/87/90/HSTs where bowing out and the lovely (though hated by spotters, I quite like them) Pendolinos, Voyagers and 57/3s ( biggrin.png) where coming into service.
The layout is set in 2003 (well... 2002 - 2004) but it is multi-era as I have plenty of modern stuff so a few current scene running sessions will occur!
It has 5 platforms, 4 through platforms and 1 bay, a thunderbird/loco bay and at the back of what is platform 1 and a parcel siding. Platform 5 is mostly for DMUs but you can (just!) cram in a west coast set. 2 and 3 will be the two main lines which will be served by Virgin West Coast/Cross Country. I have 1 rake of West Coast coaches built up and I need to invest in some more nice virgin locos. Also need quite a few Virgin livery mk.2/mk.3s so any offers people?
So guys that's a fairly brief explanation of what my layout is and knowing me by the next update there will be a brand new layout lol!

Tom

Quick update, bit of progress last night. A few pics from the running session too!

First, work of tonight! Been adding detail and cars into the car park and glued down the postbox.

9788613576_df59236a72_z.jpg

I've been working on detailling the village, added a few people to it too.

9788556596_e1f1c47c85_z.jpg

57307 Lady Penelope prepares to leave on a Glasgow service filling in for a failed 87.

9788573596_9b5300742d_z.jpg

London bound 82150 nods into p.3 with a Euston service passing a parked ballast rake

9788615354_0b95178365_z.jpg

And an evening shot 37114 City of Worcester idling in on the night oil

9788701563_820f7fc419_z.jpg

And an overall view, I hope you like my layout!

9788656023_6f1e7c09bc_z.jpg

Tom

Well a quick picture update, as I was home alone for a while I cracked on with the last of the scenic work (except for people, really don't want to do that yet!)

I've been really cracking on with the village, not much left to do, road markings, paint, people and sticking down a few bits of pavement!

10041910083_b7fb77f772_c.jpg

An awful picture but here is the Horse farm... It has since closed down due and the truck is taking them away for burgers

10041923143_6c741f0bbb_z.jpg

The delivery man and the pink panted pub owner have an argument over which bear they ordered (just noticed the blue tack!)

10041794034_c11ef8b9a5_z.jpg

(yes that is the Limited Edition Fullers horse and cart thingy)

The finished north end!

10041805884_222771d9e1_z.jpg

What do we think?

Tom  smile.png

Looking good Tom, all the little details help add life and create interesting little cameos too!

Thanks

Mark

looking good.love all the little details that you have added, a few bits and bobs really bring a layout to life.I like your horse and cart scene.cheers Trish

Very nice setup you have Swifty!! with lots of good stock... :senile:  :locomotive:

Cheers Mark, Trish and Neil! It's coming along nicely, more updates to follow soon!

No progress this evening as i've been feeling really ill and have had the day off school. 

Anyway last night I got a bit done in terms of sticking down people! And something I never thought i'd say, model people are even more annoying than real people!!!

Few pics....

10071893843_215ae32cde_z.jpg

And a couple of cameos! 

It seems all my people are actors from Saturday night fever as some of the clothing is nothing short of hilarious!

I think these 2 have had a few too many...

10071769074_d313e8dfbc_z.jpg

And children playing on the platform...

10071852486_d811e06ce3_z.jpg

Glue needs work! 

Tom

The figures bring life  :no: to the layout, it looks very good. (I'm sorry for the pun)

The figures look really good on the platform and the cameos really add to the layout, well done.

Cheers Tom and Nelson! Thanks for the kind words it makes the effort to stick the things down!! And that i've glued most of my fingers!

Right, not much has happened this weekend.

No modelling done because on Friday until Saturday I was in St. Andrews in Scotland so I am very relaxed now. I spent 3/4s of the day, doing homework, having a nice sleep and watching red dwarf! 

I did have a bit of a photo shoot for an entry for MPOTM I took a couple and this is my favourite. I may upload some more once I've made some of them look half decent. 

Here is 90029 'The Institute of Logistics and Transport' towing 82150 which died in Preston so 90029 (on hire from EWS) ran round from the rear and hooked on the front... Seen here 102 minutes late working 1Z19 to Euston.

10248877684_5c41273231_o.jpg

Tom

Right then! Quick update....

Been working on the Tesco farm

What do we think? 

I purchased the horses for the Tesco horse meat farm yesterday at Warrington MRC show along with 3 gorgeous railtrack PNAs. 

10377750874_a3be9d15fd_b.jpg

Tesco Horse meat farm by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

10377777765_9538053ce0_b.jpg Tesco Horse meat farm 2 by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

Tom

Hi Tom,

Liking the 87. Need to pick a couple up for my new n gauge layout. Just need to decide names and numbers.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon. Thanks, it's not mine (yet!)

Do you have any 00 virgin ones?

• 3 weeks later...

A hell of a lot of work done over the weekend, I have done lots of ballasting and repairs, I've painted the fencing at the north end Virgin red (aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh!!!) re done all the gardens, they still require details and people. Did a bit if patch painting, and purchased 2 new models, 87010 King Arthur in Intercity (this loco lasted the longest in regular passenger service and worked the last ever passenger service to Piccadilly with 87002) and a (now rare) Virgin FO mk.2

Pics to follow

Looking good Tom keep up the good work.

Bruce

Cheers, it's still got loads of detailling to do, and eventually I'm going to replace the platforms with scratch build ones as the Hornby platforms used are not to my liking. In a few years I hope to replace It with a Outon Rd. style replacement. (if you're ever wanting to sell it you know where I am! I'd have purchased it had the money been right at the time.... Daym. I hope you enjoy the thread and as I say some pics soon.

I'll update the thread properly with lots of pics at the weekend as I've a test this week

Archived