Thornton Road, Virgin west coast in 2003

Swifty11

Work This evening, I have been refurbishing a corner of the layout and I am putting a Railtrack yard there. It has been extended from its original size and is now all the way across the corner and looks good. I am awaiting the ballast to dry then pics of follow... :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Finished adding a few details to the new works area, looks quite good now, a few pictures to come wants the ballast has set

Tom

Hello you lot! 

Right, quick page update! Did some tidying the other day, few pics of the layout including the my VT rake.

11251333816_8aefe56fdb_z.jpg

So I went off to the car park and copped this!

11251384755_26d51d003b_c.jpg
87010 by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

Then I got bored so I went off to the village and I was in the pub beer garden and spotted this coming out the station and quickly grabbed the camera and got a shot

11251395995_00c7129b36_z.jpg

Anyway I'm off to finish my editing.... sad.png

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Well! It's been a productive Christmas!

A few nice editions to the layout!

A lovely Central class 150

Bachmann First North Western class 150

47798 (at last!!) in royal train livery

I was also walking home and spotted something in the fuel siding (at the back of the village), unfortunently I couldn't ID the loco! Something EWS but no idea of the class it was very dark and the pesky fuel train empties where obscuring my view! With any look it will be shifted by tomorrow but I'm not sure if the fuel is running tomorrow? With any look I can cop a piccy but it may be difficult.

Well, I decided (as I have time to kill) to go back to the west siding and go and have a look for the EWS loco I saw last night. I saw on gen that the fuel had moved this morning at 4am so I would have got a clear shot.... But whatever was there had gone on the move! And the loco siding was empty! So I decided to get the bus to the station and see what's in the station, I was hoping the Central route learner was running. Then I spotted something in the yard, the EWS thing in west yard had moved! It was 60071 Ribblehead viaduct!

11623070156_33a1f57c26_c.jpg

tug 71 by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

A very, very rare sight and certainly the first time I've ever seen a 60 in Thornton! No idea why it's been transferred but we'll wait and see! 

Have only just discovered this layout thread.

Looking good so far.

Any thoughts about the 'knitting yet'?

Hope you manage to get all the coaches you need, maybe the delayed Hornby 'debranded' Virgin Mk3's will be of use when they finally appear. I believe the FO, TSO and RFM all have 1XXXX loco hauled running numbers.

Have only just discovered this layout thread.

Looking good so far.

Any thoughts about the 'knitting yet'?

Hope you manage to get all the coaches you need, maybe the delayed Hornby 'debranded' Virgin Mk3's will be of use when they finally appear. I believe the FO, TSO and RFM all have 1XXXX loco hauled running numbers.

Thanks Jonathan! No I'm really short on coaches at the moment! To eBay I think. I don't like the new weathered ones, they look over-weathered to me, with any look people will sell there coaches in exchange for the new ones!

Electrification is something I'm considering, as I'm building a new layout (which I can hopefully convert to a roundy-roundy) so I'll not do any catenary until its certain on where the layout is going.

Hope that helps!

Tom

Well, I think I made a bit of a mistake posting the 60 pic on Flickr as when I went to get more better shots of the beast half the local spotting community had gone out for it! Also (I believe it arrived 0X97 from Carlisle) 47798 was in the yard working it's way to Toton to pick the royal coaches up.

11626887535_3540e05658_c.jpg

Untitled by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

11627691066_982d8fa67b_c.jpg

60071 by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

The rumour mill is very much in over drive on why it's there?! An EWS driver was also there (a fellow spotter, met him a few times now) said not even his boss knew why it was there so EWS are staying quiet. So from what we can interpret it may be staying? Not sure on the credibility of another 60 being based here yet.

A quick pic of the local royalty!

11627139133_eb27eda660_c.jpg

47798 by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

I'll see if it's still there tomorrow.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Well, I think I made a bit of a mistake posting the 60 pic on Flickr as when I went to get more better shots of the beast half the local spotting community had gone out for it! Also (I believe it arrived 0X97 from Carlisle) 47798 was in the yard working it's way to Toton to pick the royal coaches up.

11626887535_3540e05658_c.jpg

Untitled by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

11627691066_982d8fa67b_c.jpg

60071 by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

The rumour mill is very much in over drive on why it's there?! An EWS driver was also there (a fellow spotter, met him a few times now) said not even his boss knew why it was there so EWS are staying quiet. So from what we can interpret it may be staying? Not sure on the credibility of another 60 being based here yet.

A quick pic of the local royalty!

11627139133_eb27eda660_c.jpg

47798 by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

I'll see if it's still there tomorrow.

Tom

Class 60's  are the Bizz

Well for the last few weeks, I have been working on a new signalling area

Original area...

10644679336_057dff0187_z.jpg

10041805884_222771d9e1_z.jpg

The yard originally had a small lineside hut and the signal box was at an angle with some random ballast and stuff next to it. As I decided I wanted to add some detail to the hut and move it, I decided to go the whole hog and re-do the whole area!

The new area below, the box has been moved straight. Some fencing and bits where added and walkways for the drivers. 

gallery_1_5_331870.jpg

And another shot with local celebrity 60071 RibbleHead Viaduct being stabled there after arriving back from theintercityhst's layout

gallery_1_5_1410568.jpg

Tom

Great work Swifty!.. loving 'Ribblehead Viaduct', she is a beast, I saw her at Ribblehead once, pretty special moment!

(She had tones too! :P )

Keep up the great work!

Jack.

Thanks,

Yes it's a lovely model and was a bargain!

As I said I'm not a tone fanatic!

• 6 months later...

Archived