Laoson Valley - 1990's to modern day TMD, Oil Terminal & P-Way Yard

sdw7300

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all.

The good news is I've finish wiring the fiddle yards point control panel. The bad news is it doesn't work..... I don't think enough power is getting to the point motors to fire them. Initially I thought it was an underpowered CDU but having purchased a 20,000uf "mega power" CDU, this hasn't sorted the issue. However RMWeb has (hopefully) come to the rescue. There are a few threads on problems with using a diode matrix to throw points and I think I need to beef up some of my wiring and shorten some wiring lengths. Will give this a try when I get a few minutes in the garage!

In the meantime this is the spider's web that is the underside of the lift out board which houses the fiddle control panel.

post-17057-0-31481600-1396527338_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks Great ! I Love it ! Nice Track Plan too ! I look forward to more updates !

Many thanks, Elgan - sorry progress is a bit slow at the moment mainly on account of the fact I can't get to my layout! We having the bathroom and lounge dining room redecorated so have moved out of our house for a few weeks. I'm itching to get back to it though....  

That is such a poor excuse!

You could have gone for...

... Lost my mojo

... Work a bit busy

... SWMBO is laying down the law

... Alcohol has taken over my life

... Football is getting in the way

Your excuse is far too honest!!

Jeff

That is such a poor excuse!

You could have gone for...

... Lost my mojo

... Work a bit busy

... SWMBO is laying down the law

... Alcohol has taken over my life

... Football is getting in the way

Your excuse is far too honest!!

Jeff

Ha! I wish it was one of the above as I wouldn't feel so frustrated! Bathroom due to be finished next week so will be back to it then (subject to the list of job SWIMBO will have lined up for me :no: ).

TTFN

Edited by sdw7300

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All

Finally all the house decorating is finished so I can get back to the layout.....

When I last worked on Laoson Valley I had wired up the point motors on the fiddle yard but couldn't get them to fire properly. A bigger CDU and more powerful power supply and problem solved......, well for about 15 minutes until is cooked the CDU. It turns out 24V AC is too high for the 20,000uf CDU. So the plan is try my original Gaugemaster CDU with the 24V AC power supply (the Gaugemaster one says it can cope with 24V).

A couple of snaps during the 15 minutes it was working!

post-17057-0-04690600-1399884590_thumb.jpg

post-17057-0-50339600-1399884599_thumb.jpg

And this is the spiders nest required behind the control panel

post-17057-0-11400200-1399884611_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

Thanks for the comments & 'likes' - Much appreciated!

Sometimes you have frustrating modelling sessions and sometimes you have cracking sessions. Tonight was a cracking one!

Fiddle yard control panel is now fully working. The setup is a 24v ac power supply unit & Gauge master CDU powers the 'push-to-make' switches & diode matrix, which then fire the Seep PM1 point motors. The broken point motor has been successfully replaced. Also soldiered wires to some 12v led strip with a view to using them as point indicators on the main board control panel. Will explain a bit better once I've worked the idea further...

Feeling quite pleased with myself, I then had a play with the trains! Photos to follow...

TTFN

• Like 1

As promised, a couple of photos from last night:

Firstly, not very exciting but my soldiering is improving!

post-17057-0-59673400-1400144867_thumb.jpg

66610 hauls some EWS engineering stock into Laoson Valley

post-17057-0-91310800-1400144857_thumb.jpg

Then heads to the shed for a catchup with "Terri"

post-17057-0-92744200-1400144882_thumb.jpg

Finally wagons parked up in the fiddle yard. I have built a lid for the fiddle yard which means they are safe from harm & dust until the next playing session.

post-17057-0-25674100-1400144892_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

No progress to report over the last few days - the boss has given me a list of jobs to do in the garden.

However I might have accidently bought a new loco :scratchhead:. Not the correct era for the layout but I couldn't resist.

post-17057-0-36369100-1400571354_thumb.jpg

post-17057-0-04507900-1400571346_thumb.jpg

Point motors & wire for the main board ordered however I'm away with week later this week and then away with the family over bank holiday so I can't see the layout progressing for a week or so.

Thanks for dropping by.....

• Like 4

Managed to grab some time on the layout last night. Next job on the list is points motors & control panel for the main board.

As I need to do a fair bit of soldiering I thought a fume extractor would be a good idea. I rescued the old fan from the recent bathroom refurb along with an old nappy box & some venting piping. I bit of masking tape and hey presto ...

post-17057-0-48101300-1401350715_thumb.jpg

Now I had a work area set up I then got 7 of the 10 point motors wired

post-17057-0-41097100-1401350723_thumb.jpg

I'm after some wisdom of the great and good of RMWeb. I have used electro frog points but have not made any modifications to them - just laid them with insulated rail joints at the end of the "V". Having painted the rails, despite being very careful around the blades and giving them a good clean, I still get occasional dead spots. I plan to use the switch in the PM1 to power the frog. My question is can I simply wire the frog into the switch without needing to do any other mods to the points? I think I can get away with this as it is basically what is happening now but with a more reliable power source (i.e. the switch frog feed rather than solely relying on the blade against the out rail. 

Off to DEMU on Saturday for some inspiration and undoubtedly some retail therapy. Say hello if you see me - I should be easy to spot as I'll have a 19 month old on my back and a 4 year old at my feet! 

• Like 3

Hi Sam ,

Have a watch of this, there is a full blow by bow account of exactly what your looking to do.

Cheers

Marcus

Perfect, thanks Marcus. Mine should be slightly easier still as I drilled a hole and poked the thin wire from the back of the point through the baseboard when I laid the track.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello There

A few weeks have passed since my last update - mainly as progress has been slow and not very photogenic! I have been focusing on the point motors & control panel for the main boards - unfortunately once you start you can't play trains until it is completed. 

A couple of photos....

post-17057-0-59150700-1403513627_thumb.jpg

Firstly the control panel - made from an aluminium "enclosure box" from Maplins. I had originally used a track plan printed on two A3 self adhesive labels but it looked a bit naff. So I stripped the labels off and sprayed the box black. The tracks were then marked on with 5mm white vinyl. Once I have all the LED's in place I'll post a better picture.

The control panel is sat in a drawer I have mounted on the layout frame. This can then be pulled out to operate. 

post-17057-0-98189000-1403513633_thumb.jpg

Half way through wiring up the point motors. The point motor are all in place along with wires leading to the connector blocks. The bottle of Mad Goose (from Purity Brewery - I thoroughly recommend it!) and Absolute 90's on the radio make the wiring quite a therapeutic experience.

post-17057-0-25944800-1403513643_thumb.jpg

The current state of play - most of the wiring under the board is complete - just need to solder all the tails to two 25 way D connectors and then wire everything up in the control box. At my current rate of a few hours a week this could take a while.....

Cheers

[edit - typo]

Edited by sdw7300
  • Like 6