GWR terminology: "Van" - what does it mean?

The Great Bear

Does the suffix G, H signify any difference in the use of Siphons? It's not just version development is it, because some with same letter (G?) come in inside and outside framed flavours do they not? Again question focuses on understanding difference between the various RTR models, of which I have (all?) three flavours.

Does same apply to Fruit x too?

More than happy to be directed to a link explaining this!

Thanks

Jon

Siphon Gs came in two main flavours, inside and outside framed, but they were effectively the same size and design otherwise. Their main distinction from other forms of Siphon was that they were gangwayed (except in later BR days). A Siphon H had no gangways and had a higher roofline. Effectively the letter indicates a different design of vehicle within the broad category of the name (Siphon, Fruit, etc.)

Adrian

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

However, in the passenger train makeup there was a distinction between 'van' and 'bk van'.

From the 1938 schedule:

1.25am Crewe Cardiff 5.12am Tuesdays to Saturdays

Siphon G SX Manchester Ex      

Van Third   Birkenhead      

Bk Compo   Birkenhead      

PO   Crewe   801/2/3

LMS Van   Crewe    

LMS Bk Van   Manchester    

LMS Bk Van   Manchester    

LMS Bk Van WO Liverpool    

LMS Third   Liverpool    

LMS Compo   Liverpool    

LMS Bk Van   Liverpool    

4.7pm Crewe Bristol 8.6pm To Plymouth FSO from Jun 3, 1938

Bk Compo   Birkenhead Plymouth    

Dining Car   Shrewsbury Bristol    

Bk Compo   Glasgow Plymouth

LMS Van Third   Liverpool Plymouth

LMS Compo   Liverpool Plymouth

LMS Van Third A Liverpool Plymouth    

Compo   Manchester Paignton    

Van Third   Manchester Paignton    

Compo   Manchester Cardiff    

Van Third A Manchester Cardiff    

Bk Compo   Manchester Cardiff

LMS Bk Van   Manchester Cardiff    

Bk Compo   Birkenhead Cardiff    

Siphon G SX Brierley Hill Cardiff    

Van   Dudley Cardiff 2801/2

7.30am Paddington Plymouth 1.48pm    

Siphon G MX Swindon Swansea

Third MO Paddington Swindon

70' Van Third B Paddington Plymouth

Third   Paddington Plymouth

Dining Car   Paddington Plymouth

Compo   Paddington Plymouth

Van Third A Paddington Plymouth

Third MSO Paddington Plymouth

Bk Van   Paddington Reading

Bk Compo   Wolverh'pton Kingswear

Van Third   Bristol Kingswear

Compo   Bristol Kingswear

Adrian

Edit for format

That would be quite a colourful arrangement.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of pictures of 'Van Thirds'.

The first was one which was unusually attached to a 'B-Set' running into Bodmin Road. I've manipulated it a bit (can't remember how!). It shows an intriguing conversion, identified by Chris (F) as a Toplight stores van 3rd. What is puzzling is the odd placements of the door top ventilators and it appears to have some additional window panelling at the train end. The second pair of guard's doors have the windows panelled over. It is assumed that it may have been 'gutted' for full use of the space within.

post-6728-0-21098200-1487681540_thumb.jpgpost-6728-0-36719700-1487681722_thumb.jpg

This one came to me courtesy of Chris which is of a similar (but slightly different!) type.

post-6728-0-29426700-1487682204_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Credit where it is due: the original transparency of the colour pic above was taken by the late Alan Jarvis and has been in at least one book.  His collection is now in the care of the Stephenson Locomotive Society.

The black and white pic shows stores van DW150005 which was converted in January 1955 from toplight D47 brake third 2375.  If it was running to programme the photo was taken on a Thursday.

Chris

Here are a couple of pictures of 'Van Thirds'.

The first was one which was unusually attached to a 'B-Set' running into Bodmin Road. I've manipulated it a bit (can't remember how!). It shows an intriguing conversion, identified by Chris (F) as a Toplight stores van 3rd. What is puzzling is the odd placements of the door top ventilators and it appears to have some additional window panelling at the train end. The second pair of guard's doors have the windows panelled over. It is assumed that it may have been 'gutted' for full use of the space within.

attachicon.gifToplight 4a.jpgattachicon.gifToplight a.jpg

This one came to me courtesy of Chris which is of a similar (but slightly different!) type.

attachicon.gifToplight Van 3rd.jpg

The unusual van has been covered before in another thread. It was the subject of an article by David Geen in the GWSG house magazine, the 'Pannier'.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I have a (silly, quite possibly) question regarding GWR train formations and nomenclature.

What is a "Van"? I think I know "Van Third" is what anyone else would call a brake third etc. But what about a plan "Van"?

What's prompted this is list of train formations in GWRJ 85 pg 270-273. Sometimes this refers to "Bk Van" so I guess that's a full brake, but some entries are just "Van". It lists out Siphons separately so what are these "Vans"? Some are listed as non corridor hence I am guessing these would be four wheeled, passenger rated vans? Some "Vans" aren't listed as being non-corridor so what might they be? For some trains this could also be the odd item of LMS or LNE stock in addition to or alternating with GW stuff.

Sorry, the question isn't very well worded, but hopefully you can make sense of it and give me some help in decyphering this info! (Which is very useful in the context of my layout :))

Thanks

Jon

As a general rule thumb the GWR referred to coaching stock in the following terms, though I confidently expect to have left something out. 

A Van Third is a coach with half its length given over to passenger accommodation and the other half to luggage space and the guard's compartment.

A Brake Third (or Brake Composite) consists mainly of passenger accommodation plus a guard's compartment and (often, but not always) some limited space for parcels etc.

In passenger train publications "Van" generally implies a gangwayed vehicle (e.g. a Siphon G) and "Brake Van" a gangwayed Full Brake unless otherwise stated OR the publication is so old as to predate the introduction of such vehicles. 

In publications relating to goods traffic, "Van" can be taken to indicate a normal (common user) short wheelbase vehicle unless something more exotic is specified.

Passenger rated non-gangwayed vans were not always four-wheelers, Siphons F, H and Monsters, provided with end-loading doors, all fall into this category. 

Hope this helps simplify matters.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I haven't really looked at 'vans' in detail before having a wander through this thread. Having done so, could someone enlighten me about the first two carriages in this train. The first seems to have a chunk of van this end. The second seems to have only three doors from the visible hinges, although there might be another at the far end.

post-14351-0-40460300-1487706531_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

I haven't really looked at 'vans' in detail before having a wander through this thread. Having done so, could someone enlighten me about the first two carriages in this train. The first seems to have a chunk of van this end. The second seems to have only three doors from the visible hinges, although there might be another at the far end.

attachicon.gifGWR 2 6 2T 4143 Highbridge 23 4 1962.jpg

Front coach looks like a D121 low waist band stock built for the Bristolian.

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 years later...

A few very belated follow up questions:

How is a non-gangwayed train (eg the new Hornby suburban set) named, how different from gangwayed?

In GWR speak there is no such thing as brake third?

How are full brakes called up van or brake van?

Abbreviations equivalent of BCK etc didn't exist in GWR days, that came with nationalisation (from LNER practise?)?