Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

Prior to 2006, the MOD had a contract for the movement of spent nuclear naval material to Sellafield  with EWS. They used inspection saloons, normally two, for the travelling guards. So you can operate KUAs in pairs, with 2 inspection saloons in EWS livery and an EWS Class 66.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

So I've found a few photos on Flickr and it seems that there's little evidence of the EWS saloon being pushed a lot. So assume when it was it was just short shunts or moves. Its seems they indeed did work with KUA flasks.

As well as the surprising amount of external detail on a 10 year old model I have now taken the body off and am surprised at the detail level internally (even parts that aren't visible!), albeit just one colour plastic. For the parts that are visible I think i will pick out some detail/add some passengers. Has anyone ever seen any photos of the inside of the EWS saloon (or the many earlier variants)?

Despite what another poster said I am not fussed about internal lighting, not so much of a fan TBH, so will leave that as it is. My pickups observation was just a curiosity as I said in my original post. I also have no beef with Caroline, I just have no intention at £150 or so, for those that do I am sure it will be a fine model.

• Like 1

As far as I am aware, EWS had two inspection saloons in their house colours, DM45029 (ex LMS Diag D2046) and DB999504 (BR Diag 1/550) I have built both in 7mm O Gauge and although the differences between the two are quite subtle there is a lot of cut and shuffle to get the BR version out of the ex LMS one, especially in brass, would not attempt doing it in plastic and OO Gauge especially with my eyes the way they are functioning these days.

IMG_4527.JPG.eccbfe422492c5cbb06c82e3d5a2b1fb.JPG

DM45029

P1000908.JPG.64b4f9c451f6ace3fcf67af36335794a.JPG

DB999504

regards

Mike

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

They did , but not in EWS Colours as far as  photos  I’ve see. 

Hi Rob. Saw it with my own eyes, at Aiskew and Bedale level crossings.

Class 47, EWS saloon, 4 x warflats with Warrior loads (a trial which didn't go well apparently), EW&S saloon, Class 47.

Both 47 were in Railfreight Distrubution 3TG, one of them was 47306 the Sapper. The 2 saloons were different diagrams.

I did have photos, but they were lost when a desktop computer gave up working

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, KDG said:

Class 47, EWS saloon, 4 x warflats with Warrior loads (a trial which didn't go well apparently), EW&S saloon, Class 47.

Both 47 were in Railfreight Distrubution 3TG, one of them was 47306 the Sapper. The 2 saloons were different diagrams.

FairPlay , I’ve only seen them in RR I think, but photos are hard to find of the times. The trial involved a warrior falling off a war flat if it was the same incident . I think that led to the cradles and use of war wells maybe 

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/09/2022 at 22:46, KDG said:

You were on the money, knew I’d seen it somewhere 

E3EE85AA-6E4F-44A2-9C67-657067BE0728.png

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

You were on the money, knew I’d seen it somewhere 

E3EE85AA-6E4F-44A2-9C67-657067BE0728.png

Great picture Rob, but not the same train I saw. Above picture is warwells, the train I saw was warflats.

Cheers

• Like 1