New BT police level crossing footage.

• RMweb Premium

Another member of the public who's tired of living!

I cannot fathom what goes through some peoples minds.

What can be so important that you'd risk turning yourself into instant puree for the sake of a 20 second wait?

Assuming that she road down the outside of waiting traffic, maybe less than a 5 second wait.

I think this woman will be having some flash backs for a while and then has time to reflect on the effect this could have had on the driver of the train and her family aswel

as the staff who have to clean up the mess.

Apparently BTP are looking for this idiot.

You can probably see the tributes from her family now, "she was such a bright, bubbly and inteligent person, who had so much to live for."  And you can guarantee that the nasty railway would have been fault.

Colin (Signaller)

• RMweb Premium

You can probably see the tributes from her family now, "she was such a bright, bubbly and inteligent person, who had so much to live for."  And you can guarantee that the nasty railway would have been fault.

Colin (Signaller)

Followed by a campaign to improve the crossing 'cos it wasn't her fault!

The Q

Followed by a campaign to improve the crossing 'cos it wasn't her fault!

The Q

Sad, but true. The safety systems in place now have to be engineered to a level to suit the intelligence (ie abuse rate) of the users.

Mrs 298 is always quick to defend cyclists (despite not having been on a bike for 10 years), but has to agree that like most pidgeon-holed groups, there are always a few bad-eggs who let the side down for the majority. I showed her this video earlier, and worryingly it seems part of the problem is some cyclists have a culture of choosing to ignore red lights completely. They might be able to dart around cars and pedestrians at normal traffic lights, but LC's are a different matter...

Have a look at the comments at the end of this article, particularly the "worst rated"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2441290/Cyclist-comes-inches-death-train-level-crossing-passes-barrier.html

Dave

Weird. The Daily Mail pasted their grabs in a completely different order than the BTP film. Also, to be completely pedantic, she didn't break anything, rather applied her brakes; then again, has anyone ever ridden a bike with emergency brakes?

Bill

She's got strong wrists - it takes a lot of torque to lift the back wheel that high...

Indeed. Hint toward identity there, it takes a circus performer type to stand a bike on its front wheel like that and not fall off.

...She turned back to put on some clean underwear.

I would be for sure! But it should also be considered that this was possibly a stunt.

I notice that she decided she really didn't want to go that way after all.

Adrian

Looks to me she is just making a shocked/embarrassed withdrawal from the scene.

But it should also be considered that this was possibly a stunt.

Which of course would make it entirely acceptable :scratchhead:

Weird. The Daily Mail pasted their grabs in a completely different order than the BTP film

They couldn't get a still of the gates coming down from the posted video, so they've used one of the gates going up and captioned it as them coming down, so that now appears to show her going past *raised* gates....

(....mumble mumble...that's top quality jounalism for you....mumble mumble...)

• RMweb Gold

Another runner-up for the Darwin Awards, but the way this sort of thing gets reported is surely incorrect.

On a news site, the description of this incident stated that the train "narrowly missed" the cyclist. 

A train's route is predetermined, so whilst it can "almost collide" with an obstruction (in this case a cyclist) it cannot "miss" anything,

The only way the cyclist avoided being splattered was by evidently coming to her senses with a split second to spare.

John

• RMweb Gold

They couldn't get a still of the gates coming down from the posted video, so they've used one of the gates going up and captioned it as them coming down, so that now appears to show her going past *raised* gates....

(....mumble mumble...that's top quality jounalism for you....mumble mumble...)

The Daily Fail wouldn't recognise quality journalism if it bit them on the bum!!!!

It revealed that one-third of people (32 per cent) think they would hear a train in time to move out of the way.

Well, do the test: stand on the platform, or near a crossing, your back to the oncoming train. Once you hear it, count the seconds before it blasts past you and be shocked about the timing... :rolleyes: (less then 10 seconds, much less then those 10 seconds...)

......with their earphones plugged in, music turned up, and concentrating on texting - yes, surely! I know which Kenny Everett character she reminds me of.....

• RMweb Gold

Well, do the test: stand on the platform, or near a crossing, your back to the oncoming train. Once you hear it, count the seconds before it blasts past you and be shocked about the timing... :rolleyes: (less then 10 seconds, much less then those 10 seconds...)

......with their earphones plugged in, music turned up, and concentrating on texting - yes, surely! I know which Kenny Everett character she reminds me of.....

Even without any of that, a moderate breeze blowing towards the direction of approach will have it down to a couple of seconds.

Out on the lineside during my training (supervised and already in a position of safety, fortunately), I heard the rails 'singing' and turned to see a Class 50 approaching with nine on pulling hard up a 1-in 80 gradient no more than 100 yards away and doing about 70.

The driver sounded the horn and we acknowledged it but I hadn't heard the engine before that. From that day on, I NEVER relied on hearing trains when out and about. Better than any lesson I could have had in the classroom!

John

Archived