New BT police level crossing footage.

• RMweb Premium

At least the current media interest might have a temporary effect in improving the atitude of cyclists....but it will only be temporary. If you can't physically stop a cyclist from doing something stupid, and long running safety campaigns aren't working, what is the solution....?

It's not just cyclists.................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

If you can't physically stop a cyclist from doing something stupid, and long running safety campaigns aren't working, what is the solution....?

The figures from the RSSB suggest to me that something is keeping things in check

http://www.rssb.co.uk/SPR/Reports/Pages/default.aspx

I'm looking at their key facts and figures booklet, page 22, 'Trends in accidental public fatalities' which shows the same or fewer fatalities in 2012/13 than in six of the previous nine years.

I don't know what is keeping these statistics in check, and pessimists may say they reflect the combination of a diminishing quantity of level crossings with a larger population of reckless or ignorant users. Nevertheless, the 'if' asked here is to too big for me ... the campaigns may well be working.

I do agree with the RSSB on page 30 of the same report:

While most of the risk at the road-rail interface arises from the behaviour of level crossing users, some lies within the direct control of the railway.

Members of the public have a duty to ensure that they use level crossings in the prescribed manner; the industry has a duty to ensure both that the prescribed manner is fit for purpose and that its operations allow the prescribed manner to be followed.

The solution, like so many things in modern life, is for people (meaning, level crossing users) to shoulder responsibilities.

- Richard.

There was a section on the BBC last night about level crossings, presented by Dominic the bald chap. mostly filmed at the notorious West Barnes Lane near Raynes Park, showing the BTP CCTV van in operation and all the schoolkids jumping the barriers.

Not in Britain - as Beast has already said - the 'Second Train Coming' indicator on AHBs was abolished a long time back after very extensive assessments had been made of its effectiveness and motorists reaction to it.

In the US, in Chicago in particular (where that video was shot) they have a big issue with folk alighting from trains then walking around the back of their stopped train straight into the path of one on another track (which in some cases may be approaching at fairly high speeds) - there's actually film of a fatality back in the 80s on YouTube where a woman does exactly that (i'm not going to link to it for reasons of taste.)

You can see the same behaviour here:

I think that may be exactly the right approach for Chicago - but mostly in the UK pedestrians can't do the kind of silly move this is intended to stop, so I agree it's not neccesarily a good thing for the UK.

• RMweb Premium

... You can see the same behaviour here:

I think that may be exactly the right approach for Chicago - but mostly in the UK pedestrians can't do the kind of silly move this is intended to stop, so I agree it's not neccesarily a good thing for the UK.

Hmm. The video shows a fence between the two tracks, and a gap in the fence with a foot crossing, so I guess this is normal and expected behaviour.

Hatfield Peverel station has two platforms (up and down) with the down platform reached by a footbridge at the London end. I have watched evening commuters alight and casually walk down the platform ramp and across both tracks behind the train they have left. I'm not a regular commuter now, but this was still happening after CCTV was installed about six years ago.

The drivers of expresses in both directions (which means five out of every six trains passing through here!) seem to have a policy of a long two tone horn application every time when a train is in the station. It's hard to imagine a commuter able to pay thousands of pounds for a season ticket is stupid; so I'll conclude either they have no self respect, or no respect for other people.

Hmm. The video shows a fence between the two tracks, and a gap in the fence with a foot crossing, so I guess this is normal and expected behaviour.

Crossing at that point, yes.

Crossing behind a train (so with no visibility) and without even bothering to look? Normal, unfortunately I suspect yes. Expected, no.

Ref Hatfield Peverell - Would be a bit much to expect improved crossing protection where there isn't a crossing...

It's hard to imagine a commuter able to pay thousands of pounds for a season ticket is stupid...

Biting tongue, maybe fairer to say they can be "sheep-like" at times?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

I used some crossings near Bishops Cleeve (north of Cheltenham) as vantage points for photography a few years ago, and I remember a couple of occasions when the barriers came down for no train. If I made twenty visits in all, that represents 10% which is what I meant by "go wrong often enough". This is pretty loose language, and your documented reports are a lot better.

- Richard.

Funny that - I had the same happening at that crossing!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Coming down the branch this afternoon we stopped as usual at the intermediatte station with a level crossing - it's a n AOCL (B), i.e. an Automatic Open Crossing which has had barriers added.  Sitting near the front of the train I could see the road warning lights reflected on a structure and two cars came charging down the road after the amber light came on and the second one was still on the crossing when the reds started to flash - a pair of idiot Drivers obviously trying for a Darwin award; I wonder if the monitoring cameras are still in use ... tehehe.

Archived