Acacia Avenue - BR parcels and stabling SOLD

mudmagnet

A little more progress today.

Firstly, I've made a tree for the embankment to add a little height in this area as I felt something was missing here. Also creates a different view and blocker. Also used the tree to create a shadow across the layout - see photos below - hope that this works ok.

Also, decided, (although still may yet change my mind, but unlikely), that a small scrap / redundant PW 'store' may be the best way to use the space. So I've placed a few items to get a feel for it. Still want to add a few more bits and will probably move around a little until I settle on what works.

The list of things to do is getting shorter!

Need to finish the depot building and add the parcels / newspapers to the loading platform, plus a few other details around.

Finish the shop and add a few figures - when I can find what I'm looking for. To be honest I've not realy looked and need to search a few sites in the internet.

Fiddle yard to finish.

Name board to make.

Curtains around the legs to get sorted.

Thinking about making a shelf to fit under the fiddle yard for important things like coffee cups, oh and storage of rolling stock.

Need to sort out my PW rolling stock and in the process of building a few more kits, plus need to order a few more.

attachicon.gifDSC_0038.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0042.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0047.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0052.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0065.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0069.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0086.JPG

A few more photos.

attachicon.gifCSC_0057.JPG

attachicon.gifCSC_0060.JPG

attachicon.gifCSC_0063.JPG

attachicon.gifCSC_0066.JPG

attachicon.gifCSC_0088.JPG

Looking great.

Love the waste pipes on the back of the building....rarely modelled but add so much.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Terry

I relay like your layout, I think the quality and detail like the grass on the tracks make the layout very interesting to look at, the black and white pictures add to the 70s / 80s era

it looks as if you know a place just like it.

SGJ

• RMweb Gold

Pile of stuff and little shed at the front seems to work really well there.

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'm more convinced that the pile of stuff is the best use of the space and will be adding a little more before the first proper public showing in Barnstaple (26th July) !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I relay like your layout, I think the quality and detail like the grass on the tracks make the layout very interesting to look at, the black and white pictures add to the 70s / 80s era

it looks as if you know a place just like it.

SGJ

Thanks.

Not based on anyway in particular, just elements taken from other places and blended (hopefully) into something that looks right.

Pleased with the B&W photos - I'll add some more next time I take some photos.

What a fantastic looking layout!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks.

Well got to say great pictures, it all looks just right.

Thanks

hugh

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on the sign to go on the layout last night - hope to get a bit more done tonight / tomorrow evening. I'm making it the hard way - i.e. cutting out the letters by hand !

Hope to get some photos on Saturday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds good, look forward to seeing more at Barnstaple, ages away but will be with us sooner than we realise!!

Simon

Yeah, not too long to go really, and then I'm taking out 3 weekends with other exhibitions (helping Ray with Yard Shunter and two with Orchard Road) !!!

• RMweb Gold

Hello Richard,  The greenery has made the layout look even better, great stuff. love it.....

George

Hi George,

I'd agree !

The green is contrast to the brick - the usual contrast between green and orange.

Final coat of paint on the sign today, needs a coat of varnish to finish off.

A little more progress today.

Firstly, I've made a tree for the embankment to add a little height in this area as I felt something was missing here. Also creates a different view and blocker. Also used the tree to create a shadow across the layout - see photos below - hope that this works ok.

Also, decided, (although still may yet change my mind, but unlikely), that a small scrap / redundant PW 'store' may be the best way to use the space. So I've placed a few items to get a feel for it. Still want to add a few more bits and will probably move around a little until I settle on what works.

The list of things to do is getting shorter!

Need to finish the depot building and add the parcels / newspapers to the loading platform, plus a few other details around.

Finish the shop and add a few figures - when I can find what I'm looking for. To be honest I've not realy looked and need to search a few sites in the internet.

Fiddle yard to finish.

Name board to make.

Curtains around the legs to get sorted.

Thinking about making a shelf to fit under the fiddle yard for important things like coffee cups, oh and storage of rolling stock.

Need to sort out my PW rolling stock and in the process of building a few more kits, plus need to order a few more.

attachicon.gifDSC_0038.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0042.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0047.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0052.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0065.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0069.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0086.JPG

A few more photos.

attachicon.gifCSC_0057.JPG

attachicon.gifCSC_0060.JPG

attachicon.gifCSC_0063.JPG

attachicon.gifCSC_0066.JPG

attachicon.gifCSC_0088.JPG

Hi Richard

I must say the permanent way bits look better than the tank. The tree is in a good position on the embankment very well done.

Love the photo's keep them coming.

Edited by RAY NORWOOD

• RMweb Gold

Finally, a couple of photos showing the sign above the layout.

I wanted the sign to look a little like a cast iron road sign.

So, I printed the letters off Word, roughly cut round and glued each to 20 thou plasticard using Prit-stick.

Then when the glue had dried, each letter was cut out using a scalpel.

Each was then glued to a 20thou backing sheet and then the border added.

The backing was then painted, trying to avoid getting paint onto the letters, but easily cleaned off with the scalpel where needed.

Finally the sign was sprayed with varnish to try and protect the surface / paint.

Only 'blu-tacked' at the moment and will be glued later. I also want to make some protective panels for storage and transportation of the layout.

Can't really see the slight relieve in the photos, but it is there!

post-7854-0-86425100-1403197162.jpg

post-7854-0-35947800-1403197163.jpg

• Like 11

So, I printed the letters off Word, roughly cut round and glued each to 20 thou plasticard using Prit-stick.

The backing was then painted, trying to avoid getting paint onto the letters, but easily cleaned off with the scalpel where needed.

Finally the sign was sprayed with varnish to try and protect the surface / paint.

Only 'blu-tacked' at the moment and will be glued later. I also want to make some protective panels for storage and transportation of the layout.

attachicon.gifDSC_0001.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0003.JPG

Yeah, like that mate.

attachicon.gifDSC_0001.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0003.JPG

The sign is impressive, all the street names where I live are black letters on a white background and plain looking.

SGJ 

• RMweb Gold

Excellent looking layout now, the sign finishes it of really well. One question. How do you operate it, do you have a timetable or sequence to follow?

Thanks for all of your comments.

I'm very pleased with the sign and wanted something different to most other signs !

As far as operation, I've not given it much thought at the moment. When I ran the layout for the first proper time (RMweb Day in Taunton), just ran a few of the parcels vans backwards and forwards. Will give it some more thought, but a few ideas /  decisions :

Will likely only run with one or two class 25's and the occasional loco coming in and out of the front siding.

Shunting single or a pair of bogie parcels / newspaper vehicles into the main loading bay and then into the adjacent siding.

The third siding being used for occasional parcels / newspaper or box vans (when I've fitted the couplings) or PW wagons.

The front / fourth siding being used for wagons / PW / odd loco at times.

The main priority is to keep something moving at most times.

I will probably stick to the late 70's period (using the 25's) rather than into the early 80's.

The 25's fit in quite well with the overall size of the layout, without being too large to dominate.

• Like 4