RMweb

Have you ever headhunted?

Penrhos1920

I'm getting an increasing number of emails and phone calls from head-hunters. To start with I fobbed them off. But I'm starting to wonder if it might be worth seeing what they are offering. One problem is that I've just completed 25 years with my present company and could be here for another 20 years, so I've worked myself into a bit of a niche.  I didn’t intend that; I only joined my employer for 2 years…  Another thing to think about is my kids are GCSEs and A levels so moving them would be stressful.

Have you ever been headhunted?  Was it a success?  Or do you regret it

One of my greatest friends is in the business.  Sadly he couldn't help me out when I was looking as his organisation recruits for things like CEOs of Blue Chips, national sporting bodies, and national charities.  

If it's a genuine headhunter rather than a recruitment agency then you will have been quite carefully researched as a genuine contender for a very good post.  Only you can decide whether it's worth the disruption to your life to speak to them, though!

• RMweb Premium

In 99% percent of cases 'headhunters' = Agents.

They describe themselves as headhunters to get your interest. I have never been properly headhunted myself, but I know a few that have. 'Real' headhunting rarely involves you having to submit cv's or attend endless interviews.

In my line of work - contract business analyst - I am more reliant on agents than many others. I have to keep myself known to them - which means having a select few on my LinkedIn - so I can tap them up once a contract comes to an end.

• RMweb Premium

So they will have done more than look at my linkdin profile?

No, that is usually the way they get you. If you don't keep your profile up-to-date it can lead to some interesting calls.

That said, sometimes they don't even read your profile. Not too long ago I had an offer for a contract role. It transpired it was in the same team I was working in!

So they will have done more than look at my linkdin profile?

If it is a genuine headhunter quite probably.  I don't know too much about the process, but they match people they approach very carefully to opportunities.  It's an expensive old business so for their own credibility they won't be after people just with a cursory look.

At my level (well until a year or so ago) what I get is a spotty individual in a shiny suit who has just left Younee spamming mailing lists with inappropriate posts at the wrong end of the country.  I've had to threaten some of them with the Information Commissioner and one got really shirty when I said I was wrong on every count for the role - to quote "I don't have time to read all the candidates' CVs..."

• RMweb Premium

If it is a genuine headhunter quite probably.  I don't know too much about the process, but they match people they approach very carefully to opportunities.  It's an expensive old business so for their own credibility they won't be after people just with a cursory look.

Yes, a genuine head hunter would have done quite a bit of homework and know quite a bit about you. Bear in mind that many people who are headhunted are higher profile (senior managers, Executives (and no, I don't mean 'advertising executives' who are way down the foodchain!) etc.), so there will be quite a bit of asking around. In some industries (mine for example), the jungle telegraph is extremely important. It is amazing who knows who, and reputations spread like wildfire.

That said, agents in general have tightened up recently. You have less chance of a scatter-gun approach to sending out CV's; normally they get the industry correct nowadays! It went a bit silly for a while, when you basically had to match the job description word-for-word. That was daft as normally only one person fitted the role 'perfectly'; the one who has just left!

• RMweb Gold

My son 'headhunts' for a living, now working very successfully in Australia.

Like others seem to be, I was very sceptical to the point of lampoonery about what he does, until the night he sat me down and went through it. If the headhunter is genuine he will have researched you thoroughly and know more about your capabilities, achievements and work history than almost you do yourself. He has to  - his job and income depend on fitting round pegs into round holes, not almost or nearly but exactly.

Been headhunted for all of my senior career moves and have no regrets about any of them.  If anything it gives you a slight advantage as they will have done their homework and you are already on their shortlist.  It often allows you to dictate the terms.

You have nothing to lose by seeing what's on offer.

As someone mentioned, there is a big difference between the genuine headhunters and the sort of pondlife who ring the switchboard and ask to speak to someone with knowledge of XYZ then try to talk them into switching. These were a big problem pre-recession and seem to be making something of a comeback.  The company I work for even employed someone with similar background to take any such calls and tell them in the nicest possible way where to get off...  having first made sure they weren't any of the firms the company was using to try to get more staff...

• RMweb Premium

I've twice been headhunted. In both cases an employer was looking for to fill a vacancy which I did not know about. The headhunters had asked senior people in the industry who might be suitable and they had suggested me. I was very suprised to find I was being recommended for what were significant promotions. So I suggest you contact them, you never know what might be on offer.

No, that is usually the way they get you. If you don't keep your profile up-to-date it can lead to some interesting calls.

That said, sometimes they don't even read your profile. Not too long ago I had an offer for a contract role. It transpired it was in the same team I was working in!

Oh, that one! I've recently finished a contract at Syngenta in Huddersfield. About a month before it ended, I had an e-mail, asking for 2D draffies with chemical plant experience...in Huddersfield.

Have you ever been headhunted? Was it a success? Or do you regret it

Yes, sort of, into my current job.

I think so, and they renew my contract so presumably they do.

No, I enjoy my job and continually make that fact known to all I can.

The call came out of the blue, but not from an agency but from a friend of a friend (who had made the recommendation).

Be a little suspect of what is being offered and certainly find out as much as you can as to their source of information about you especially a referral.

As to family commitments - that should be all part of the equation. If they think you cannot commit to the proposition they will soon pass you by. Similarly if they (if they are genuine) have done their homework they should know your position on that subject and will be prepared to "understand". Everyone has a different perspective on "family" vs "work" and it changes and can be negotiated around. Anyway, there is nothing lost in finding out more of what is on offer.

Often it is not what you know it is who you know (knows you and has a pretty good idea of what you can do) It might appear to be off-the-wall and beyond your current spectrum.

Worth finding out if there is a genuine opportunity out there for you. Be clear with whoever is asking that you need to research what is on offer. Call on those you know with relevant experience to advise you. I certainly got my best single career advancement this way. Mind, I also received a fairly amazing offer from a business which was down the tubes within 6 months of the offer being made; a good friend's advice about the state of the industry enabled me to duck that bullet.

Archived