Down Ampney Layout Build & Workshop Thread (For All Things 7mm FS & 0-16.5)

CME and Bottlewasher

Hi All,

Some photos;-

1) A new Heljan GUV, it needs some fettling as a few bits have fallen off, generally a nice layout model though, a few anomalies that need attending to and some which wont be - my preferred option would have been corporate blue, yet I shall probably leave this as is in green FTTB  and dap on some numerals/weather it :)  :yahoo:;

2) The Heljan bogies are not to my liking and normally, for a layout model, my first port-of-call would be EasyBuild BR1s, yet I had a reasonable set of BR1s in white-metal, not sure who they are made by and IIRC they came in a second-hand box of bits, so if I can fettle them and make them look good a run well, then I shall use them if not then I always have a bag or two of Easybuild bogies in stock to fit instead (I didnt want to waste the white-metal versions though). The WM bogies are having the axle-boxes pared back and replaced, also the 'W' Iron tie-bars will be replaced, the bolster springs aren't quite right but they are okay and overall these are pretty good bogies;

3) Part of my parcels and GU train, coming together nicely, I am fettling a Lima MK1 into a BG and I have two MTH BGs to fettle too - I wanted a relatively easy to create bogie stock based train and I have become more and more interested in Non Passenger Coaching Stock especially as they dont require interiors and/or passengers and my Lima MK1s are taking an age :)  :cry: ;

4) Comparison of what was (which is not a bad looking freelance diesel - for its age) and what now is - after I had removed all that wasn't 'British Outline' and anything that offended my eye - this little project is attended to when I feel the need for fun modelling and there is only ten minutes to spare (and I dont have to think too hard about what rivet goes where - dont get me wrong, research is a nice part of the hobby, yet so is fun!) :derisive: The bodywork extremities were quite brittle, but this ancient toy loco is still resilient where it counts - now the rebuild starts and as luck might have it, the model as I have it in my mind's eye, is very akin to an early NBL type, with a bit of Yorkshire Engine Co. and Hudeswell & Clarke thrown in - heavy duty draw-plates and big buffers, nice! :O  :drag:  :jester: ;

5) & 6) Different angles of the same, I removed the grill as it was at an angle and that didnt look right to my eyes, I have thus removed said angle and have kept the grill surround so as to maintain the bonnet roll top etc. I have started to par down the window surrounds etc. so as to remove the weight and thickness of the plastic. As I say, modernisation shunters and the numerous test and prototype versions of such intrigue and fascinate me;

7) Whilst I have come up with some drawings and measurements, a nice and quick way of getting an idea of things without wasting materials is to make card templates - this comes from my time fettling classic cars, as well as DIY car-care and time spent welding and fabricating as my day job, back in the day, as the yuff now say (sometimes designs were drawn up in chalk on the floor of the workshop!) - all transposed into my model-making. With the card templates I am mocking up windows and replacement cab-sides etc.

This little loco may even end up being RC too :sungum:

Hoping to get the plastic baseboards up soon, weather permitting, that maybe at the cost of not getting more track down, but in the longer term I think such will be worth it for a continuous run etc etc.

Happy modelling

ATVB

CME

PS Does anyone know where to obtain, in Lost Wax Brass some lamp irons for the CCTs and the GUV - JLTRT??

Photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer for this Post 2016 etc

post-11256-0-10489100-1474845658_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-32421500-1474845724_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-50549700-1474846061_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-02047400-1474846224_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-05274100-1474846354_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-60082600-1474846563_thumb.jpg

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 4

Hi All,

Whilst more heavy civils takes place on Down Ampney and I sort through coach parts, bogies, loco parts etc etc and finish fettling Crossing V's etc etc - photos to follow - I came across this 'map' that I did for a friend of mine so as to explain where Down Ampney sits in the scheme of the real world and thought that it would be useful to Post here and on the OP page.

Down Ampney, Highworth, Malmesbury, Fairford, Ciren' (Cirencester), Tetbury, Faringdon et al are all places very dear to my heart for a myriad of reasons.

ATVB

CME

Photograph/drawing is the copyright of the Author/Poster 2012-2016 etc

Edit; I left Swindon off of my impromtu map - it was presumed that the viewer would know where it is :mail: :mosking:  :secret: 

post-11256-0-40982900-1475188680_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi All, :)

Just a few photos of civil engineering and progress with the line 'extension', the Posts are now cemented in - just before the rain - the posts were from our old end to end branch-line, which was then to be developed into a low-level station, common sense prevailed as operating such would have been too complicated (overkill in number but the PVCu has to be bent to a sharpish curve so belt and braces are in order). The old frames from the first version of the matrix :jester:  are going to be used as the basis of the Fiddle Yard. With these posts, for the ladder frame PVCu boards, we have incorporated fully adjustable tops in terms of minor height adjustments and level/angle, which should make life easier than with our 'fixed' MK1 posts etc etc.... 

Also some eye-candy for those so inclined (and as a flavour of what is to come - diesel hydraulics in the garden), Warship in the garden; Druid, soon to be renamed and renumbered as Hermes. Whilst I have nothing against 'Druid' per se, and I have several friends who have standing in the Ancient Mystic Order of Druids :O  :mosking:  :secret: , the real Druids, those ancient and long gone, and certain of their practices leave me cold :offtopic: , so I opted for naming the loco after my dear old 'friend', Hermes Trismegistus ;) :imsohappy:  as did BR WR! The loco needs steps added and a few minor fettles, but it really is very nice indeed - I would like a BFYE version someday too  :)

There are some fairly large leaves on the line - well after all it is now Autumn and a few days after the equinox!   :mosking:

That's all for now.

ATVB

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the author of this Post/Photographer 2016 etc.

post-11256-0-45348800-1475355992_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-79330500-1475356184_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-36908900-1475356201_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi,A deliberately open question - but in the context of garden railways - how long does a hedge take to grow?

Hi,

It depends on the type of hedging, its care/cultivation, the soil, which way the garden faces etc etc.....did you have a particular hedge type in mind? I will do my best to help.

Our garden ended up-unintentionally-being decimated by the inclusion of the railway, two fence failures/replacements and a disceased conifer hedge or two. So in my photos, with the use of quality liquid fertilisers, what you are seeing is approx 2-4 yrs growth. If we hadnt used decent feeds etc then one can expect longer for the hedges to grow

ATVB,

CME

Just a quick update; the Switches are nearing completion, I did some trial and error work on speeding up making the Crossing Vs, with varying levels of success and one duff rail. They seemed harder work this time but I have nearly finished enough for the 5 Switches that are to be installed in the garden. I am still hopeful of getting some more track down before winter - which involves taking up a yard or so to include one of the Switches for the line extension. Re-soldering decent sized wiring under the Crossing Vs maybe tricky - with a tight space and lots of plastic nearby - but I think that I have come up for a dodge for such......more on that another time! :O  :O  :mail:

The posts are in and levelled for the line extension - all are level, yet two are not perpendicular as there were issues with obstructions underground, ie some old concrete, may be from the time that the house was built, or before when it was a small-holding, yet as the tops are fully adjustable the posts being slightly on the skew can be adjusted out so that the track-bed is level. The whole lot has been repainted with Black Magic paint and will be hidden by hedging etc. so such minor discrepancies wont show. The next job is to add the PVCu sides and ladder frame.

The weather is great at the moment yet life doesnt allow for civils' works right now, so fingers crossed that the weather holds, when out of the wind, some places hereabouts, almost feel like a summer's day, yet post equinox there is a definite nip in the air.

Other aspects of rolling stock construction and fettling/the project ('Mr Mulder') are progressing a little at a time too.

Kindest to all,

CME :)

• Like 1

Photo 12

......RTR chassis/motor-bogie for the above shunter project (maybe an approximation of a Class 02 or perhaps a fictitious 'Yorkwell' shunter, thus a joint venture modernisation project loco that was never adopted by BR and then sold on to the RAF at RAF Down Ampney (or whatever 'Martini industry is 'down the branch') so that 'Yorkwell' could recoup some of the costs.  I am such a sucker for shunters, its becoming an obsession!? The motor-bogie came in from ETS at a fair price (the P&P was a bit of an ouch but the total cost was still good), it runs very nicely and has a 'clutch', at the moment it runs better forward than backwards but should be better when run in. It isnt perfect but cost and effort/time wise its works out cheaper than the constituent parts if purchased and/ or made in the UK and its well made, even if the wheels are a little crude in terms of the electro-plating used.  It sadly came with some extra 'protrusions'/extensions on the the rear wheels (for a use as a steam outline loco chassis I would guess), ETS never told me this prior to purchase (at which point they were very helpful), my understanding that this, their '231' chassis was a diesel type chassis - funny how companies are so helpful prior to purchase and then one hardly hears from them when one questions them after purchase/delivery re. certain aspects, ho hum says I (again)! :dontknow:  :superstition: Evidently they can be supplied in 'diesel' format but ETS didnt. So as I cant be bothered to send it back, I spent one evening carefully removing the offending parts on one side of the chassis/MB with a razor-saw (so as not to overheat any plastic components nearby) and then re-tapping the wheel and cutting down the bolt - still not there yet as the wheel needs drilling all the way through really or I need to source four new bolts. The mystery is that I carefully matched the format of the standard - front - wheels and holes/flanges yet the bolt wont bottom out/tighten fully (even when cut down) - the other (front) wheels are drilled all of the way through though - without removing the rear wheels that is a little ifffy - so it might have to be new bolts instead. Also the extension/protrusion appears to have a slot in it as if it had been screwed in, whether or not ETS used a thread-lock, I dont know, but, it wouldn't budge, ETS did tell me that all of their threads should be right handed, I tried left and right hand rotation but nowt  (TBF ETS' customer service was pretty good by and large and their written English was better than mine at times! :onthequiet:  :jester:) - even using a myriad of methods at my disposal.  :scared:  :scratchhead:  :drag:  :butcher: .

Onwards and upwards and more track fettling is on the cards in an effort to try and get the Cross-over and at least one line extension Switch laid before winter.

ATVB

CME :)

Photographs are the copyright of the photographer and author of this post 2016 etc.

Just been reading your very interesting thread. Re the ETS chassis you show, you say that it's fitted with a clutch. Does that mean it can be pushed freely when not under power? Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of putting a short railway together for the grandchildren when they are somewhat older,  a loco that could be pushed along without damage would be very useful.

The "plastic wood" you're using is interesting as well.

Edited by railroadbill

Just been reading your very interesting thread. Re the ETS chassis you show, you say that it's fitted with a clutch. Does that mean it can be pushed freely when not under power? Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of putting a short railway together for the grandchildren when they are somewhat older,  a loco that could be pushed along without damage would be very useful.

The "plastic wood" you're using is interesting as well.

Hi RRB,

Thanks for the kind words, glad to hear that you are enjoying my Thread.

The ETS chassis can be pushed along when not powered, ie the wheels move freely when not under power, depending on which chassis you require from ETS I may be inclined, if I were you, to purchase sooner, rather than later relative to BREXIT etc. If you need some contact details for ETS, then PM me as I have a useful contact there (there are also two versions of the chassis I purchased and Im having to modify mine, it isnt the end of the world but it is a tricky little chore). The 'plasticwood' - is by Filcris, another excellent company.

Good luck with your endeavours, if you need any advice/help, then I will do what I can and there is a wealth of knowledge on RMW anyway.

Kindest regards,

CME

Hi All,

With time taken up with the mundane I had twenty minutes to affix the cross-bars (plastic wood) onto the new Posts (ironically the weakest link will be the steel posts as they will, with the best will in the world rust and pit - more so, of course than the galv posts used elsewhere) and they will need cutting and trimming to suit and hopefully we then have curve of 5' 6"-6'.

The garden is getting wetter and wetter so every time I go to do a job it rains (or has rained) and its getting colder. I might just be able to squeeze in some more jobs, would liked to have laid some more track, time will tell as I need to do a bit more soldering to the switches and crossings and I have a feeling that the wire Im using for such (55/0.1 ie 6amp rating) maybe too heavy but I wanted to be belt and braces for the garden section. I suppose as the system is 3-5amps (mainly one loco 'in steam', unless replicating a failed Hymek or two, ala some of the old footage of diesels on the S&D) that a BUS of 10 amp rating and droppers of 6 amp rating is OTT, but better safe than sorry, re voltage and signal drop. Im going to have to wire the layout for visiting locos and some of my locos I have little choice other than to go DCC - RC is still on the cards though.

Some photos of the posts and cross-bars etc soon.

Kind regards,

CME

Edit; I think that I shall be running all the Heljan locos with only one motor-bogie and the remaining bogie will be free wheeling.

Hi All,

Another quick update.

BOGIES!!  :derisive:  :whistle: :thankyou: 

That's a 7.2....its good but is it good enough?

As I have been waiting for various bits and bobs and as the progression of the new baseboards requires 2-3 pairs of hands/the right weather (soon hopefully as the weather has been great, yet not had the time or the helping hands - lets hope the weather lasts), I have started with the arrival of wheel sets etc working on the 'new old stock' LMS Stanier 9' 0" bogies which are the original Cavalier versions....... 

Although nice - they match in with the ABS versions (Adrian Swain bought the range) which I am using on my MTH Open 3rd and BG, along with a set of SideLines 9' 0" Welded Bogies for my BR Corp Blue MTH BG - I can see where A.S has improved a couple of the castings and the fit/quality of the springs/bolsters etc without the need for a major re-tool. Whilst these bogies are not difficult to build per se they are, in their original Cavalier form, a bit of a fiddle. Last night - after getting the frames etc up and running and the wheels bedded-in and free running etc the previous night. - all I achieved was the fitting of the end stretchers/brakes/brake ties and the springs/bolsters (which required some fettling to match the ABS versions in terms of looks and quality - the ABS springs/bolsters are a lot easier to align and fit - as the Cavalier versions are moulded in half relief and not moulded fully in the round, which the ABS ones are), to ONE bogie! These four or so items fought me every step of the way. I have soldered some main parts and used cyano on the rest as its hard to get the iron into certain areas without wiping out the whitemetal parts/detail - others maybe better at such, but Im man enough to admit that; 'yes I do use adhesive to affix some whitemetal parts and no I dont wear a hair shirt!'  :)  :derisive:

So that leaves a set of BR 1Bs for the GUV to fettle, then back to using the lovely EZB BR1Bs, and the SideLines Welded LMS to do (lovely intricate etch brass inner frames in the kit - hope I can do them justice!? :help: ). Getting whitemetal and soldering out of the way is a real motivator for me. Then its back to the easy to build Easybuilds, LMS 9' 0" and BR1Bs, which are a joy to put together..

As I say, soon cracking on with garden boards again, but we have just realised that such may affect the viaduct arches - structural and aesthetically - and we had those cut out two or more years ago, so fingers crossed we can still utilise them as Foamalux aint cheap now. :cry:  :)  :derisive:

Oh and in between times life keeps getting in the way of modelling, that and having to attend to the mundane. When I was a kid I dreamed of the perfect model railway unfettered by childish restrictions such as space, money, time, being told to pack up the carpet railway empire and get to bed and/or do home work (by the time of homework though there was an 8x4 in the garage, which the mice enjoyed more than me, as I was never really happy with tail chasing in a small space - the trains not the mice - even if it seemed like a good idea on paper) etc etc! And now? The problems are the same only bigger along with, of course responsibilities......but even when challenged by wayward bogies it is still a joy/therapeutic :)

Photos to follow soon, I promise.

ATVB

CME

PS The following videos are childish in the extreme but it takes me back to childhood pranks whereby, as kids, we had an Olympics style scoring system for using similar - what we thought were - naughty words, with increasing volumes - without being too rude.....still cracks me up to this day, as do Dick and Dom's rendition, even now Im grown up, wif an 'eaducation!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not a great lot to report.

One more outdoor baseboard fettled ready for fitting (this board heads into the garage - on the LHS of the photo) and the posts and the cross-members have been fettled a bit more, but will require further trimming down - I think though, that although the weather was very kind on October (which allowed for overdue exterior house maintenance and the supervision thereof) it's getting pretty cold now - colder than this time last year IIRC. We may snatch a few sessions in the garden, only time will tell. But if not, the last 'outdoor' job of the year is to insulate the garage door.

Also, as time has been a little precious still, I have been wrecking and dismantling yet more items - into kits of parts - for various projects on the go, so that, when time permits I can dab in and out of them and get a few clear runs - apologies for it all being a bit 'scatter-gun' however I tend to paint models in the summer months, unless exceptionally lucky, and so I try and batch build items in the winter months (outdoor baseboard work has preveneted painting a fair bit too - in the summer months). In addition as we are still running the gauntlet of hospital appointments and tests, I try and do 10-20 mins of model-making a day and that doesn't always allow for the finer aspects of the craft. So to keep interest, motivation, enjoyment and the project moving along I do what I can. Hence my prepping some more Lima coaches for super-detailing (BSKs in this instance). I was sure that I had photos of this type of work, yet after the 'great computer failure of 2015/16' I couldn't find them, so took some more in awful light - please excuse the quality, yet they show the extent I go to so as to widen, lengthen (slightly) and prep the sides for detailing and rebuilding.

The green sides are basically just sides (ripped in half with a bandsaw and then the floors and ends cut out) with a section of the bogie mount area left in place (as the bogie mounts are quite accurate on the Limas) and the windows cut and almost filed to shape/ready for EZB window frames. I have yet to fettle away the door-furniture, when that is done, I shall leave in Detol (thanks for that tip from Mr Steve Fay of this parish) overnight/ a few days so as to strip the paint. Then it will be filling and sanding (there are a few sink marks around the bogie mount platforms on Limas), then fitting door furntiure/drilling thw holes for such :O  :help:  :stink:

ATVB

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the photographer/author of this Post 2016 etc

post-11256-0-76698800-1478577505_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-80667300-1478577517_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It's a shame they didn't make them 1:43.5 in the first place!

Mind you they must have made a material saving on every one, and it would be hard to guarantee that they'd have sold any more as a result, if they had...

(I calculate the material saving to be (43.5/45)cubed, which is 9.7%. That would make a bit of a difference on the P&L.)

Best

Simon

• Agree 1

It's a shame they didn't make them 1:43.5 in the first place!

Mind you they must have made a material saving on every one, and it would be hard to guarantee that they'd have sold any more as a result, if they had...

(I calculate the material saving to be (43.5/45)cubed, which is 9.7%. That would make a bit of a difference on the P&L.)

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

Agreed. But I think that Lima made the real savings on using 'parts-bin' items on the Cl33s, coaches et al. Such a missed opportunity, the Class 33s too as some aspects of the modelling really were quite good.

The tumblehome's are pretty good and when fettled, they look the part too (some fudging of roof details required) - ie widened and lengthened.

I dont lengthen them by much, but that suits a little ruse I have, stage trickery if you will, as the layout (scenic section) will be relatively small and a slightly shorter train will help look more in proportion - hence my using Bo-Bos etc too, although the exceptions to the rule are the 37 & 47. But nice to see a short freight on the back of a large loco as it eases its way under small bridges etc. Reminds me a bit of the EGR and indeed the old bridge at Coopers/Pressed Steel (Gypsy Lane), Swindon (on the old Highworth Branch) and, IIRC, 47s crawling underneath them. And before we did some Pt Way works there, the loco oft falling off of the track and down a hole!

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

Ha Ha and Ah Aaah!

I found the photos that I was looking for....all self explanatory.

Giving all of my dirty secrets away and also revisiting some older photos

Kindest regards,

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer of this Post 2010-2016 etc

post-11256-0-80643100-1478792403_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-48293800-1478792419_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-99097400-1478792436_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-37353300-1478792468_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-56223200-1478792489_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-43768900-1478792509_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-31068600-1478792533_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-74074400-1478792685_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi All,

Exciting news - the 08 has arrived and Im very pleased, very heavy, should work well at low speeds (makes me wonder if I shall need a stay alive decoder or not), Ixionesque packaging which is most welcome (after the Terrier) and over all a very nice model with accurate and nicely applied livery.

Photos to follow soon.

ATVB

CME

• Like 2

Hi Folks,

Another quick thought - as I fettle the Lima windows ready for Easybuild window surrounds & glazing - the windows are +/- 1:43.5. So this got me thinking about Simon's comments, but I wondered; what if, unlike the Lional Hogworts Express 'MK1s', Lima just made a mistake re the measurements-after all the UFs bear no resemblance to a MK1. We know that, although quite well modelled bodywork wise, the Lima Class 33 was over wide and short-due to miscalculations (eg. Lima inc within the width measurements the hand-rails). We know Lima used parts-bin bogies on both of these models, a missed opportunity all around, as model railways were still a main Christmas toy at time (perhaps Triangs BIG BIG Train was more on point-it still wasnt a success though was it?) and we had the Guild, with a modest amount of extra effort from Lima, we could have had an O gauge revival 35-40 yrs earlier than the current one.

ATVB

CME

It's a helluva mistake to make - you have an "overall width" dimension, and you apply it literally. And you don't cross reference to the dead giveaway transverse dimension on any bit of rolling stock, the gauge!

I'd be surprised. It would require a particularly lackadaisical attitude, or spectacular incompetence.

Then again, reading the news this morning about the Government's state of preparation....

Ho hum

Simon

• Agree 1

It's a helluva mistake to make - you have an "overall width" dimension, and you apply it literally. And you don't cross reference to the dead giveaway transverse dimension on any bit of rolling stock, the gauge!

I'd be surprised. It would require a particularly lackadaisical attitude, or spectacular incompetence.

Then again, reading the news this morning about the Government's state of preparation....

Ho hum

Simon

Hi Simon,

I know what you are saying, by and large I agree - yet the windows are, almost perfectly 1:43rd, so was that a mistake too? Or did they 'sketch-model' the MK1s from afar? IIRC I was told that the designer/model-maker wanted to make the coaches (and the Class 33) to scale but this was pooh-poohed by Lima (sorry I havent retained the rest of the details, or should I say I cant recall them all).

I agree with you Simon, take so called 'conspiracy theories' out of the equation, for a few moments, and levels of incompetence can sometimes be unbelievable.

Oh well I shall carry on endeavouring to make a silk purse....... Ha Ha!

ATVB

CME

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND A PEACEFUL, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE! (just in case I dont get on here again for awhile)

I am still preparing the Lima Brakes and progress has been a bit slow this past week or so as life gets in the way.

Having fun researching SR coaching sets and learning one or two short cuts to coach building - by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Also some exciting news on one or two kits and some additional tech that might be heading this way - more on that within the next month or two hopefully.

Some light fettling of the garage in terms of storage, trying to tidy the garage and the office, and insulating the garage door etc etc - all boring but helpful for the over all project. Also hope to be knocking up a couple of wall-mounted display cases with help from the wood-workers in the family (ie Dad & Father-in-Law).

I will have photos soon and I may even get to weather my blue CCT, Finish the GUV and weather/fettle my Dapol 08.

Kindest to all,

CME

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...