Level Crossing Sound Module

michaelp

If it is a modern warning sound, please don't take your layout to exhibitions !! Many years ago we were next to a layout at IMREX where the warning 'noise' went off with every train movement. That show ran all day for a week, after two days I was looking for a large hammer! But do have fun at home.

• RMweb Gold

Or a volume control... my crossing on Ravens has a volume control (and a mute) built in as the noise drives me mad after not very long. Not that it has warblers, the layout is set early 80s when bells were the order of the day.

The sound module I used is a little memory module from eBay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/usb-sound-module?_trksid=p2047675.m2392 that you can load your own sounds onto. In my case I found a recording of a school bell online, extended it in Audacity and loaded it onto the module. In the video below you can hear the bell ring off when it finishes which seems to help with the realism rather than just stopping dead. I changed the module so that it ran from a five volt supply that powers a lot of the layout electronics and added a dirty great wire wound potentiometer between the module and the speaker as the volume control. I did try turning the volume down in the sound clip loaded to the module but the module has some form of automatic level control so reducing the clip volume only increased the background noise level and had no effect on the output level of the module!

Andi

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. It's sound for a modern barrier level crossing, an alarm type sound. I don't know the correct name for this kind of sound.

Michael

That would be a Yodalarm.

The spec calls for tones of 800Hz and 1000Hz alternating approximately twice per second.

Come to the National Festival show at Peteborough this weekend and you can see my demonstration unit doiing exactly this.

• RMweb Gold

Or a volume control... my crossing on Ravens has a volume control (and a mute) built in as the noise drives me mad after not very long. Not that it has warblers, the layout is set early 80s when bells were the order of the day.

The sound module I used is a little memory module from eBay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/usb-sound-module?_trksid=p2047675.m2392 that you can load your own sounds onto. In my case I found a recording of a school bell online, extended it in Audacity and loaded it onto the module. In the video below you can hear the bell ring off when it finishes which seems to help with the realism rather than just stopping dead. I changed the module so that it ran from a five volt supply that powers a lot of the layout electronics and added a dirty great wire wound potentiometer between the module and the speaker as the volume control. I did try turning the volume down in the sound clip loaded to the module but the module has some form of automatic level control so reducing the clip volume only increased the background noise level and had no effect on the output level of the module!

Still can't get over your success with the skirts, which really do obey Isaac Newton!

As for pee-wee/yodel etc, I wonder how many different variants have been fitted over the years. Were AHBs, controlled barriers and AOCLs, for example, on all Regions all fitted with the same piece of kit? Seems unlikely.

If you want a very modern crossing I'm happy to record my local one, I can extract the sound for you and then you can do with it what you want.

Let me know if you want it recording.

Thank you for the very kind offer, I managed to get a level crossing alarm sound recorded locally too and I found a 'Railways and associated sounds' web site offering free downloads for the bell type alarm as well.

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the very kind offer, I managed to get a level crossing alarm sound recorded locally too and I found a 'Railways and associated sounds' web site offering free downloads for the bell type alarm as well.

Michael

Oh that sounds useful (excuse the pun...) could you give us a link please?

Andi

Archived