Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

• RMweb Gold

Great choice for your second 87!

I've been following your layout threat for a while and have enjoyed and admired your progress .... really captures the essence of that section of route around Dallam as well as the services, rolling stock and loco's passing through.

I'm planning to attend the Stafford show in two weeks time and looking forward to seeing the layout in the flesh.

Great choice for your second 87!

I've been following your layout threat for a while and have enjoyed and admired your progress .... really captures the essence of that section of route around Dallam as well as the services, rolling stock and loco's passing through.

I'm planning to attend the Stafford show in two weeks time and looking forward to seeing the layout in the flesh.

Thanks for the comments, glad you like the choice, 87003 had been on my mind for a while but essentially it had to be an original name 87 not one of the Virgin renamed ones. Look forward to seeing you at Stafford.

Hi Simon, 

Really enjoying the updates, its keeping my mojo going to crack on with my endevours!

Graham.

Thanks Graham, glad my updates have helped spur you on!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to do Rugby station one day. Would be an immense layout.

Agreed, I’m toying with the idea of Rugby for a new layout if we move house and I’ve got space, sadly it’ll be nowhere near the standard of Dallam or Euston, and it’ll be the post-2008 layout :)

As mentioned the second 87 has been progressed this evening. The original white stripes which were part damaged were fully removed and a Fox Transfer replacement fitted along with 87003 running number.

post-6834-0-02949000-1516577687_thumb.jpg

Looking through the numbers on the transfer sheet, I have a few other locos to pick with original names if I get a 3rd 87 at somepoint.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

Well with just over a week to go before everything is packed up for Stafford, a few more items of stock have been receiving attention prior to the show.
I have 2 Mk2 Virgin XC rakes, 1 contains 4 Intercity Swallow liveried vehicles.
These have received a few additions to bring them into era, CDL side lights and yellow footboards below the doors. These Mk2's are showing their age and will be replaced by the upcoming Farish Mk2F.
post-6834-0-87311900-1516748147_thumb.jpg
The wheelsets will be replaced over the coming days and the light grey roof will hopefully be repainted. The CDL lamps have been represented by using 4mm Fox class 50 MW symbols, slightly over scale but I am happy with them.
Also I have decided that the 47 below will loose its Intercity livery to become 47785 Fiona Castle in EWS livery. The only mods that I can see so far will be class 60/66 buffers, TDM cables and extended range fuel tank.
post-6834-0-49159800-1516748458_thumb.jpg

Here is 47785 in 2001
22195915239_ead87b33e1_h.jpg47785 by Steve Thorpe, on Flickr

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 11

Hi,

You'd probably be better off using one of the recent Farish 47/7s for that surely?  Something like the NSE, Scotrail or LL Blue would give you the correct tooled front ends and fuel tanks.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes you are right, its just that I have this to hand (it was cheap when I got it earlier last year!)and I have some PH Design TDM etches available and knocking the fuel tanks up should be no problem.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Bit more rolling stock work tonight. 87003 has had the Dapol high speed pantograph fitted although it will be coming off (along with all the others)again sometime after Stafford to have the size reduced. Hopefully will get nameplates intime for Stafford although its my fault leaving it so late to source them. 90028 has had its skirt glued into position, primed and painted matt black. All locos were possible will have bufferbeam detailing at one end but again this will be added after Stafford.

A few posed pictures:

87003 & 87019 pass each other at Dallam yard as 08784 shunts the yard.

post-6834-0-78079200-1516831853_thumb.jpg

Alternate view with 87019 and 90028

post-6834-0-47904700-1516832011_thumb.jpg

Finally 90028 working a late running Glasgow to Euston, TDM failure at Lancaster, loco run round.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up with everything Simon. Wow, the stunning work still continues. Fantastic. 

Really looking forward to viewing Dallam at Stafford. I shall be there on Saturday, so I'll be sure to pop by and say hello and spend some time at Dallam.  

Cheers

Anthony 

Just catching up with everything Simon. Wow, the stunning work still continues. Fantastic. 

Really looking forward to viewing Dallam at Stafford. I shall be there on Saturday, so I'll be sure to pop by and say hello and spend some time at Dallam.  

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for great comments and look forward to seeing you on the Saturday.

Cheers

Simon

Afternoon,

Under a week to go to Stafford and the final few bits of stock that can be completed in time are being finished.

The MGRs have had the coal loads fitted in place again using the same sponge material as used in the Cawoods.

post-6834-0-51478000-1517160849_thumb.jpg

Imported coal from Liverpool Bulk Terminal passes coal heading for export at Seaforth.

post-6834-0-20582200-1517160942_thumb.jpg

On the Sunday, a few drags may occur due to the route between Weaver Junction and Runcorn being closed due to engineering work. This may result in unusual locos being used on the drags such as this:

Diverted Liverpool to Euston (no stop at WBQ), the 57 will come off at Crewe.

Requests may be taken for type of loco for drags.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 16

Last bit of testing this evening. I managed to pick up 3 more pairs of Intermodal wagons for a decent price over the past week so now the train length is 18 wagons and think I will stick with this.

It needs 2 powered 86's as using a dummy with a powered loco causes alot of slipping on the return curves.

Here is the complete rake, the newer wagons will be weathered later.

Just some locos to pack up, tool box sort and run through the check list and should be good to go for Stafford.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hope Stafford goes well, look forward to seeing some pictures of the layout operating from those attending!!  Hoped I could get over just to see your layout, but regrettably I can't :(

Enjoy it though Simon

Rich

Thanks for all the comments everyone, much appreciated. Layout ran really well, had a few stock issues which caught us out but we really enjoyed the 1st day. The Dapol HST had a few derailments with the Dapol short couplings fitted. These were swapped back to rapido types during the day. Looking forward to tomorrow and if you are visiting and want to ask any questions, please ask.

Cheers

Simon

Guest teacupteacup

This is a superb layout, been reading through the whole thread over the past few days

Hope to see it in the flesh at some point!