Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Bit more work done on the first signal, rear safety guard rails shaped from brass wire and soldered into position.

post-6834-0-13447500-1542737454_thumb.jpg

Power applied, double yellow.

post-6834-0-68983500-1542737496_thumb.jpg

Also ordered various bits of brass wire and section from Eileen's Emporium along with bits from N Brass to allow the 2 signal gantries to be progressed.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Bit more playing, sorry, testing this evening. Before the Stafford show I swapped all the couplings on the HST to the Dapol knuckle type, to prevent catching when pushing around the curves, a long and short coupling were used between vehicles. However although tested at home, we had quite a few issues with derailments and uncoupling strangely. Tonight I have been checking the setup and all appears ok in push and pull operation, so bit confused about what was going wrong at Stafford. Here is the HST overtaking the Freightliner rake.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Simon

Which couplings did you have in your HST before swapping them?

I did have the Dapol fixed knuckles but they would occassionally come uncoupled so I fitted the Fleischman Profi ones which worked fine on the HST set till recently  but now it also occassionally derails. The issue with the Dapol mk 3's is that the NEM close coupling mechanism tends to drop a bit hence the fixed knuckles come undone and I guess the NEM mechanism has started to drop a bit more hence the pin on the Profis is now catching the turnouts when in 'push' mode.

Oddly my Chiltern mk3 sets didnt like Profis from the start but still work fine with the one long and one short fixed knuckles.

Edited by roundhouse

Hi Ian,

I had the standard Rapido couplings to start with then I changed to the Dapol fixed knuckles to close the gap. All I can think is the coupling mechanism had maybe been knocked on a few vehicles without realising during packing/unpacking for Stafford.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I found the same as Ian, a few of my Dapol mk3s have developed an annoying tendancy for the coupling mechanism to drop slightly. I found a little bluetac between the couplings fixed it and I haven't had any uncoupling since.

There might be a more elegant solution but seeing as it is working for now, the bluetac is not visible and my rakes stay built I've stopped investigating further.

It might not be a complete answer because I never suffered from derailing, but I don't think you are alone with this issue and there might be someone out there who has a more elegant solution than mine :).

All the best

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've also found my mk3s inconsistent. I started using 3D printed bar couplings, which work well, albeit not that practical for an exhibition layout, but even then you sometimes find the sockets droop, which has the effect of lifting the adjoining bogie off the track.

It's a shame Dapol seem to have so many problems with couplings on various models!

• Like 1

No more progress on signalling tonight as waiting for my bits to arrive. However I have managed to make a start on one of the buildings which should be at the front of the layout.

Due to time constraints before the first show, although a hard standing was put down ready for buildingd, the whole area was covered in undergrowth temporarily.

This is the area concerned.

post-6834-0-94106300-1542838204_thumb.jpg

One of the buildings is Catherine Street motors, so tonight the basic shell was formed up, still quite a bit to do but dimension wise I am happy so far.

post-6834-0-37427600-1542838313_thumb.jpg

Here positioned were it should go, undergrowth to be removed.

post-6834-0-40465400-1542838378_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of having the roller shutters up and vehicles on ramps and clutter etc.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

Crackin' stuff Simon.

I must get out to see the layout again.

Thanks mate, should be at TINGS in September then Wigan in October.

Bit more work done on the garage, roof added, drainpipes and roller shutters held in position with blutac. Need to look at making the interior aswell.

post-6834-0-91880500-1542903952_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-12443100-1542903977_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

Spare half hour this evening and manage to knock together a basic representation of vehicle lift for in the garage. This has just been made with various strips of plastic strip.

post-6834-0-87134200-1542917076_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-21669200-1542917113_thumb.jpg

Transit having its MOT

post-6834-0-64856500-1542917141_thumb.jpg

Just need some trolley jacks and general garage clutter, tyres etc.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

Not much modelling done today, however did try to run a 26 wagon Freightliner/Intermodal rake. This was to see if its possible without derailments on the return curves in the fiddleyard. 2 pairs of Dapol Spine wagons were added to the previous consist.

All went ok including running through all the pointwork in the fiddleyard. At just shy of 12 feet in length it does foul some of the points. Long-term, I think the fiddleyard definitely needs expanding with additional boards for Exhibition use. If you note in this picture the roads in the fiddleyard are quite close together and could do with wider spacing between roads.

post-6834-0-49932600-1543220811_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 16

Not much modelling done today, however did try to run a 26 wagon Freightliner/Intermodal rake. This was to see if its possible without derailments on the return curves in the fiddleyard. 2 pairs of Dapol Spine wagons were added to the previous consist.

All went ok including running through all the pointwork in the fiddleyard. At just shy of 12 feet in length it does foul some of the points. Long-term, I think the fiddleyard definitely needs expanding with additional boards for Exhibition use. If you note in this picture the roads in the fiddleyard are quite close together and could do with wider spacing between roads.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181125_155455270.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

You have on Dallam the same as me on my Shirebrook layout, a storage yard. I only use the term fiddle yard if the tracks are spaced far enough apart to easily get 1;1 scale human fingers around the stock without creating a 'domino' effect on surrounding roads! :) This also brings me to one of my bug bears. In many layout plan books it often states 'for N gauge (scale) reduce measurements by half' or ' each square represents 6 inch by 6 inch in N gauge', NO because the operator's hands do not shrink. What often looks cramped in OO just  looks ridiculous reduced down to N, what needs to be done is a complete reappraisal of the modelling space available and come up with a completely new scenario suitable for the possibilities that only N scale offers and make a great layout such as yours or may I say like Shirebrook.

Cheers

Duncan

No probs Jo, details are:

Southern end

30 inch front to back, mimimum radius 10.5 for inside line, rest increase approx 1 inch increments.

post-6834-0-52311000-1543359475_thumb.jpg

North end

36 inches wide approx 10.5 to 11 inches for the inside line, this feeds the sidings, VGAs propelled round this with no issues. The other lines radius increase by approx 1 inch per line if that makes sense.

post-6834-0-11267300-1543359631_thumb.jpg

With hindsight, should have had all boards at 3 ft wide to give more space for fiddleyard but was trying to ensure boards were not too heavy, hence they taper to 30 inch after this board.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

Managed to make a proper start on the signal gantry which sits next to the CLC overbridge. So far the web truss has been soldered together, this has been formed from 2 N Brass 4 track heavy portals, this was to make a square section for the main part of the gantry. The legs are tagged in place, these are formed from 2.5x1.5mm I section from Eileens Emporium, just in the process of soldering 0.45 wire to the legs to form the cross bracing.

Here is progress so far, warts and all!

post-6834-0-60201900-1543434987_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-19818300-1543443039_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 8

Bit more work on the signal gantry which will house signals WN174 and WN175 (both 4 aspect with route indicators etc).

The basic structure is basically done. All cross bracing fitted to the legs. Happy with the progress so far. Next job will be to start adding some square brass rod to form the supports for the signals.

post-6834-0-78345900-1543528560_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-00814800-1543528600_thumb.jpg

Everything is square, the camera on my phone makes it look anything but square!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7