Class 55 sound,

nimbamoss

Hi,

I've been asked to do a Bachmann deltic conversion.

I plan to use either the Locsound V4 21 pin or a Zimo 21 pin.

Question is, in your opinion, who's is the best ?

I know of SWD Howes Dckits (biffo) and Olivias but a look on youtube seams that the latest is from Biffo, I may be wrong but...

Plan is for the speaker to go in the fuel tanks using the now common method of removing the weight and trimming the tank bottom out.

You thoughts would be appreciated.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Oddly enough this afternoon I was doing the exact same conversion, using a bass reflex speaker in slightly more than one fuel tank and what's left of the remaining tank can take the cut down ballast weight, actually a very easy conversion so far and loads of room also.

Hopefully the decoder should arrive on Tuesday from Dckits with Legos sound file, seems to be the hot choice at the moment.

I will then be able to play around with final speaker position and maybe baffles to get the deepest bass I can to do justice to the Deltic "thrum".

Oddly enough this afternoon I was doing the exact same conversion, using a bass reflex speaker in slightly more than one fuel tank and what's left of the remaining tank can take the cut down ballast weight, actually a very easy conversion so far and loads of room also.

Hopefully the decoder should arrive on Tuesday from Dckits with Legos sound file, seems to be the hot choice at the moment.

I will then be able to play around with final speaker position and maybe baffles to get the deepest bass I can to do justice to the Deltic "thrum".

The larger the air tight housing, the better the sound will be.   Charlie (dcKits, the world of legomanbiffo)

• RMweb Premium

Charlie, I am using a Bass Reflex housing presently which I find gives good bass (for the size of speaker of course), I am waiting delivery of a selection of laptops speakers as I have found some of the smaller rubber surround speaker cones used in LT speaker assemblies giver amazing sound, I have one from a Toshiba LT in my Cl37 and its almost as good as the 40mm enclosure in my 7mm Locos....no where near as loud but pretty good for 4mm.

I have Bifs Deltic and although it souds OK, I had to fit a 2nd speaker and I feel it is still far too quiet........

Going to have it reprogrammed by SWD, I had one of theirs on a V3.5 and it was very very good, although I have not heard a V4 SWD, so.....

I have tried three different speaker configurations in the tanks of Bachmann Deltics. Best results were obtained by cutting one end off a bass reflex speaker (leaving just the drive unit) and using the available tank space to extend the reflex tube to the far end of the tanks and back on itself to a newly formed opening. I'm planning to get some resin enclosures made up for this, which will use a normal 20x40 speaker. Laptop speakers should perform well and I would always encourage experimentation.

Casey Jones; can I ask what speakers you are using? If you're not using bass reflexes, are the enclosures airtight? Standard Bachmann 'enclosures' (if you can call them that) are not airtight and (in my opinion) do not perform at all well with anyone's Deltic sounds, SWD included. Also, if you're using two speakers you need to make sure they are in phase otherwise they will tend to cancel one another out. Try reversing the connections to one of them and see if it makes a difference.

Bif

Biff,

I am using the one you sent with a sealed blutak enclosure but the volume was set to 192 when I received it.

It was very quiet when compared to PC/Digitrains on Zimo plus SWD on V3.5 sound loco's, so I fitted another speaker [same again] - Although the sound did improve it is still below par volume wise. My layout is 12' x 12' so decent volume is always required - this is not deafing volume [example is my Zimo's are set to 45 and this is adequate.

I should not have to reduce all my sound loco volumes so I can hear the Deltic running - I just think it is programmed to maximum volume so the user cannot gain much more by fitting an extra speaker.

Why not send it out with the programmed volume set to say 100 so those that need extra volume can increase it to suit their needs - as long as there is no distortion in the sound file?

I am sure some of your other sound chips were set to 128 when I purchased them [33&37].

I did try various other speakers  - 4ohm and 8ohm all the way up to 28mm and to be honest the best sound I got is with 40x20 speaker + a large bass reflex which is what I ended up with - it is just that the sound is far too quiet.

Unfortunately to send a sound chip set to its maxiumum volume does have its limitations......

• RMweb Premium

Bif,

I had considered using the entire tank space as an enclosure but decided to keep a little ballast in there (about half of the original weight), but when I fit the chip with your sounds I will then decide depending upon my experimentation with these LT speakers.

Hi,

Many thanks for all the suggestions, I have planned to use the 4 Ohm, 1watt. Case size: 22mm x 58mm x 9.3mm. unit I have previously used in it's 100ohm guise on a v3.5 chip very loud especially firmly sealed into the enclosure.

On an asideI found out in my 08 that speakers into anti phase does ruin your day! Thanks to  "biffo" I found the error of my ways and now have a very loud gronk in my shed.

Ian

Hi all,now I know that you are all referring to a oo gauge version of the Deltic with Bif's Deltic sounds on but to add to this,I model in n gauge and a few weeks ago,I bought one of his v4micro's with Deltic sounds too.

Now if I'm honest,I was kind of expecting to get results akin to what oo gauge dcc sound loco's were making around 4-5 years ago,ie no bottom end and a bit tinny.

What I have been doing is a bit of experimentation in order to bring a bit of bottom end to the Deltic sounds.The chosen Deltic model is a Farish "Green Howards" model that is nort dcc ready.Having done the chassis work a few months ago,I decided that I would try and see if I could run it with two speakers.My speaker of choice would be 2 CT sugarcube speakers with the enclosures modified,ie height reduced so the roof will sit properly with the enclosure shaped to meet the profile of the bodyshells roof.

On saturday I bought a Loksound decoder tester so decided to set to work trying the decoder and the decoder tester out.I tried the different speakers out then went on to test it with 1 sugarcube speaker.I only got a tiny bit of bottom end sound but with this I was encouraged to continue so I completely encased the sugarcube in bluetac and then to ensure it doesn't end up sticking to the bodyshell,I wrapped it in capton tape.When I tried the decoder again,I was surprised and encouraged because I got even more of he low frequency sounds.

Next,I added the 2nd sugarcube because the volume of just one speaker was not sufficient enough for me as Deltics were noisy old things.I soldered the 2nd speaker in and tried again.It was most definately louder thats for sure and with more bluetac around the 2nd speaker,I got more bass.

I will say that even though I got more bottom end sounds,it won't rattle your chest but then again,I do have a little bit of what made a Deltic sound so recognisable.The top end drone is just lovely.Its not just a tinny racket now,it has character.

Only problem I have now is that I am going to have to fit a second speaker,fully encased in bluetac in some of my other trains now such as hst's and dmu's.

I must be mad but I like to do stuff like this and now I know it can yield results,I will continue to experiment.

Who'd have thought that only 9 short months ago,I had never converted a loco to dcc sound,not even a oo gauge one.Now its one a month and the results are getting better with each one.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Decided to take Biffs advice above and today have been dismantling the Deltic again and have cut off the bottom of the tanks completely, have just bonded in a length of plastic (a hard type not plasticard which I feel is too bendy for a good enclosure) and in the process at the moment of reinforcing the corner bonds....I might take a few snaps if anyones interested.

Still to decide on a speaker though, I have several Laptop speakers here and a couple are good contenders....I am wondering about putting two in the same enclosure for a bit more aire movement and bass I hope, well as I recall it was good enough for KEF back in the day!

One of the speakers is actually from a BASS unit out of a famed "musical" laptop but it is just a tad to wide  :umbrage: although not given up yet.

• RMweb Premium

Well given up on the BASS speaker as the chassis is just 1mm too wide for the tanks, but these are the two "mini mega bass" speakers from a laptop, they have the alloy/foil cone and a rubber suspension surround so I am hoping they will give a decent response in relation to thier size, especially if I use two.

post-6591-0-66722900-1382629528_thumb.jpg

Archived