much ado has ceased trading

aquilla

Having recently got back into railway modelling, i often visit my local (12 miles) shop for various bits and bobs, however last weekend, i was in stratford with my son, with the aim of getting some paint and ballast only to find the shop closed, all the blinds pulled down.

I popped into stratford again today to see if it was opened, thinking they may be having a shuffle round of the shop layout, but the blinds were still down, the shop is called MUCH ADO ABOUT TOYS.

We went upto another model retailer in the town, who unfortunatly does not deal in railways to get the paint, i asked the shop owner about MAAT, and he told me they had ceased trading.

It is unfortunate, but i guess yet another victim or the times, although they were always abit OTT on price, compared to other places, looking back over the recent months going in there, his stocks of locos werent being replenished etc, but they were stocking alot of expensive 'collectors' models, cars, RC stuff etc.

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame, but I did find their prices eye-wateringly high when I visited a couple of years ago, about what I'd expect for central London. I guess they charged what they had to to make the business work, but it did mean that I only bought a few bits rather than any big ticket items.

• 1 month later...

Having recently got back into railway modelling, i often visit my local (12 miles) shop for various bits and bobs, however last weekend, i was in stratford with my son, with the aim of getting some paint and ballast only to find the shop closed, all the blinds pulled down.

I popped into stratford again today to see if it was opened, thinking they may be having a shuffle round of the shop layout, but the blinds were still down, the shop is called MUCH ADO ABOUT TOYS.

We went upto another model retailer in the town, who unfortunatly does not deal in railways to get the paint, i asked the shop owner about MAAT, and he told me they had ceased trading.

It is unfortunate, but i guess yet another victim or the times, although they were always abit OTT on price, compared to other places, looking back over the recent months going in there, his stocks of locos werent being replenished etc, but they were stocking alot of expensive 'collectors' models, cars, RC stuff etc.

Hi although its a pity that my home town of Stratford Upon Avon no longer has its own Model Railway Dealer.After just reading that Much Ado About Toys has closed down.I never really liked the people that ran it.I always found them to be very rude and arrogant in their communication skills with their customers.Including myself.And like you their prices for their products were over the top.I only used the store when they were located in Windsor Street Stratford Upon Avon.I never went in to their store whilst they were located in what was the old Bus Depot on Guild Street in Stratford

I am not sure what this post was meant to achieve - pretty easy to slag off a

closed concern with no prospect of a comeback from the staff. However, I always 

visited twice a year as part of my theatre breaks (fantastic theatre, even if you

are not into Shakespeare) and while I agree that some prices could be high, they kept a

good range of peripheral stuff like static grass and kits at reasonable prices. More

importantly, the staff were - always - helpful and friendly - if you approached them in the same way.

Perhaps this thread is somewhat redundant since the shop is sadly closed.

JD

I think that post was relevant , ie a description of contributing factors.

I agree that their prices were very high, and their communication terrible - they never replied to several emails so I resolved not to bother

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unless you are dealing with a small trader who is the sole maker and/or distributor of a specific item you require, then the buyer has the power to shop around.  It's as simple as that.  The internet makes it much easier too (how long before a model version of Go Compare, I wonder...?)  You get good service, you'll go back even if the price might be a pound or so higher.  If you get poor - or no - service you'll look elsewhere.

Either way, you're likely to tell your modelling friends about it when they say they are looking to get something.

• 2 months later...

I note that it is not "right" to slag off a business after they closed, but I did so before they closed as a result of poor unfriendly service.  As my nearest model shop they became a place of last resort for a while and then I simply stopping visiting altogether.  I think their RC plane business was of more interest to them.

A simple gripe precipitated my earlier complaint - all their locomotives were displayed out of the box and inevitably the add on bits had got lost when I went to buy, so I politely refused to go along with the sale.  I think they considered me as a time waster!

I am trying out Leamington's Classic Train and Omnibus this week because I have heard many good things about them.

• RMweb Gold

I am trying out Leamington's Classic Train and Omnibus this week because I have heard many good things about them.

A good shop but be prepared for a tight squeeze if there's others in the shop at the same time.Very competitive on prices too.

Spent an hour at Classic Train and Omnibus and found it a very enjoyable experience.  Bought a second hand Lima/Airfix Scot and some bits and pieces I have been looking for so a successful reconnaissance visit.  Friendly service too!  A first rate LHS.

......I am trying out Leamington's Classic Train and Omnibus this week because I have heard many good things about them.

They are apparently home to the old Jackson-Evans range of locomotive detail castings - although they don't really publicise it or produce a catalogue - so if you've still got an old catalogue / price list from the JE era, now's the time to start quoting part reference numbers!

• RMweb Gold

They are apparently home to the old Jackson-Evans range of locomotive detail castings - although they don't really publicise it or produce a catalogue - so if you've still got an old catalogue / price list from the JE era, now's the time to start quoting part reference numbers!

Sold under a different name I purchased a brass GWR cab fallplate just last week.

Sold under a different name I purchased a brass GWR cab footplate just last week.

I think the header cards on the packets now have "Classic Train and Omnibus" on them, instead of JE.

Such a pity that they don't do more to publicise the detailing bits, given that they are so hard to find in this day an age. It's almost like they don't want you to know about them!

• RMweb Gold

I think the header cards on the packets now have "Classic Train and Omnibus" on them, instead of JE.

Such a pity that they don't do more to publicise the detailing bits, given that they are so hard to find in this day an age. It's almost like they don't want you to know about them!

Classic parts for perfection.With a cat on the card and CT & MB plus address/phone number.

I did say, during my visit, that they were hard to find, but their logic is that an internet search by town is more sensible than a search by company name.  Can't fault that logic.

I did look at a Jackson-Evans Patriot kit but decided that with owning two Bachmanns already it was a tough call.  I think the white metal kit, ex-wheels and motor, was Pds 40.  The drawer it was in was not large so how big their retained stock is remains an unknown.  Give them a call.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited again this week and Mark, the owner showed me the Jackson-Evans catalogue which he is getting reprinted. So he has plans to market the stuff! There will be a small price increase. A very good LHS, lots of interesting detailing parts, etc.

I did say, during my visit, that they were hard to find, but their logic is that an internet search by town is more sensible than a search by company name. Can't fault that logic.

I can. Anything and everything should be used to build a position on internet search engines unless the intention is to hide or shy away from potential customers and markets.

Another communication disaster.

Archived