Locomotion / NRM L &Y tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Now sold out on the website.

Sweaty palms for me. I tried to buy one last night, but got a credit card glitch - there were 9 available at that point. This morning

they were down to 6 so I had another go - still no good. Then I tried my wife's card (with her permission, of course) and hit

another snag with that password thing. Finally it seemed to go through - we'll wait and see. It's hardly the end of the world

if I don't get it, but I've been really taken with the look of the NRM model.

I received my model yesterday and have been putting it under test.  A little sluggish on starting at first but nothing that 20minutes running in wouldn't cure.  It runs very smoothly and quietly and is very good at low speed - even without using my feedback controller.  Altogether a delightful model and well worth the wait.  I don't suppose you can get the L & Y coaches to put behind it though!

• RMweb Premium

Gave her a test run today. Lovely little model , smooth running through the speed range, no sign of a waddle! Really beautifully finished loco which I'm very happy to have bought.

A couple of observations

Buffers aren't sprung. Not a major issue as I run with tension looks anyway, just got used to them on recent locos. The buffers are also silver which i just find visually jarring and seems to draw attention to fact they are not sprung, but that's probably just me!

It does derail pretty easily. Now this is due to my undulating trackwork not the model (I am suffering from baseboard droop , a very nasty complaint) but it is certainly less forgiving than other models eg prairie tanks that traverse point work easily. It does seem to run better backwards rather than forwards ,in terms of derailments.Initially I assumed it was because there was a bogie at the back , but actually it's the same mechanism as front. What is noticeable is that there is more movement in the wheels at the back than front. Not sure if this is intentional (doubt it).may experiment in easing wheel movement. Overall it's not an issue, just an occasional derailment on a particular section of the layout. I haven't got any suitable coaching stock , but she pulled 5 Mainline Period 1 LMS coaches without issue , and has quite a turn of speed. Ideal for your commuter expresses, although mine will probably be used on pilot duties (hence explaining the restored L&Y livery amongst LMS ). Limited current pick up doesn't seem to be an issue but I do use HF cleaners and therefore it's operating on DC not DCC

Overall pretty happy!

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if there is likely to be another batch of L & Y liveried tanks, or was it a limited edition, never to be repeated?

It is inded a limited production run.You will have to ask Locomotion Models if they are going to repeat the run.

And for those of you who have queries about pick up,track holding and sundry other niggles,mine exhibits no such problems It is a little jewel. Hats off to Locomotion Models,NRM Shildon and York and Bachmann,of course.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 2

I did a quick test run of mine. Runs pretty well, negotiating complex trackwork without stalling. It nods ever so slightly as it runs along, but nothing major. Performance improved as it was left to run.

Given how fast these sold out, coupled with the quick-selling C class in SECR livery, I wonder whether Bachmann could be tempted to issue a classmate in a similar livery?

Have any appeared on eBay yet?

Funny you should say that, see here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-L-YR-Tank-1008-NRM-Exclusive-31-165NRM-BNIB-00-Gauge-DCC-Ready-/221324259592?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3387f43108

Only a £100 write up over the NRM price! Still we shouldn't be so surprised that the ebay crooks 'entrepreneurs' have got in on the act - they've even used photos from the Locomotion models site to illustrate it - copyright?

Edited by Bon Accord

• RMweb Premium

Well Bachmann, not fighting shy of cranking the handle, have announced 31-463 (SECR liveried C class) for Q2/2014. Not quite "a classmate in a similar livery" admittedly.

Isnt that the much simplified version Truffy?  Basicall SE&CR Green without the lining. I'm licking myself for not geting one, as now I have my Lanky tank I feel a pre grouping collection coming on!