Kirk Coaches - Diagram 105/125 Twin Set

Rob Pulham

Moving slowly forward with this one although I am almost at the point where I can't go any further until I get some more detailed photos which I have hopefully on the way.

Both upper step boards are now on and soldered in place and the battery boxes are all in place.

IMG_55401024x683_zps5db662b8.jpg

IMG_55411024x743_zpsfeff2aaa.jpg

IMG_55391024x683_zps85807eeb.jpg

IMG_55381024x456_zps875bb6d2.jpg

I also soldered some pieces of scrap etch into the holes left by the V hangers/battery box ends etc - a pet hate of mine is holes in the floor especially when the vehicle has windows....

The queen posts as provided are half etched at the ends of the posts and are a little two dimensional - albeit they would be very easy to solder a length of rod to for the truss rods. I decided to do it the hard way. The reason for this is that the Kemilway truss rods are flat etches and I want something a bit more 3D so I thought that I would experiment on options on this one.

IMG_55421024x633_zps888bd4ce.jpg

IMG_55431024x609_zpsb7919e7d.jpg

First I threaded some short lengths of 0.9mm rod 14ba and then soldered them to the back of the queen post etches. I then got some Markits 4mm scale crank pin washers and filed a V slot in opposite sides and file a corresponding V on the ends of some 1mm rod. I had to make a template on some scrap paper to get the lengths right. The first one needed a bit of tweaking but the second was right first go.

You will also notice that I had to beef up the tabs on the queen post etch to fill the holes in the  floorpan.......
  • Like 1

Back at the beginning of this thread there was a bit of banter around scale toilets for the toilet compartments on the guild forum. While talking to Peter Dawson I mentioned them, while they are not included in the kits he said that he had some that he could sent me and good to his word he did.

IMG_55451024x683_zps3511fb7b.jpg

IMG_55481024x683_zpsac45d478.jpg

IMG_55491024x683_zps66ac89e1.jpg

IMG_55441024x683_zpsfe778988.jpg

They are not for the faint hearted to assemble (it took me two modelling sessions to get the toilet lid to stay in place) and I had to scratch build the bowl for the sink and find a tap in the spares box but good for a laugh.

• Like 1

Following on from my last update Bill Bedford posted on the LNER forum that I had got the battery boxes in the wrong place and that the NBR didn't use threads/nuts on their queen posts  - apparently the bottoms of the queen posts are curved and the rod is continuous from turnbuckle to turnbuckle sitting in the curve. The reason that the battery boxes were in the wrong place is that the split box is split to allow a support rod to pass between them across the width of the coach from one queen post to the other.

So I sat it for a couple of days doing other bits and pieces - trying to make my own turnbuckles. Which turned out to be a dismal failure. I made a jig to bend the rod to shape and cutting short lengths of tube was no problem but soldering them together was a complete no no. I made a couple of jigs and even tried using the microflame and tiny bits of solder. Despite blackening the jig all I got for my pain and 4 hours of trying was it all soldered to the jig or stuck to the soldering iron as I tried to go in and out very swiftly. 

So back to plan A where I buy them.

After wasting most of yesterday with the turnbuckles I did manage to get the battery rearranged and the queen posts modified to this stage.

IMG_55531024x683_zpsa7fd79f7.jpg 

IMG_55501024x683_zps329ba9a9.jpg

IMG_55541024x683_zpse7f1692a.jpg

IMG_55521024x683_zps62b619ad.jpg
  • Like 1

In tandem with the NBR BG I have also been progressing the Kemilway Diagram 176. 

The duckets took a bit of forming but I got there in the end.

IMG_55551024x553_zps3481fec8.jpg

IMG_55561024x393_zps3cdd30d0.jpg

IMG_5560459x506_zps5870c679.jpg

The detail supplied for the guards compartment is really quite something.

IMG_55591024x641_zpsdd7ecb32.jpg

IMG_5561595x531_zpsbf556aef.jpg

IMG_5567937x1024_zps398f4e8b.jpg

Bogies

Once the sides were on the D176 I turned my attention to the bogies - yes I know that I need the underframe but there is method in my madness honest!

I need some Fox bogies for the BG and I have in the stash several sets of Newbould model Fox bogies (they are desdtined for other things but can be borrowed in the interim...).

The things about the Newbould bogies is that nice as they are there are no instructions so I had the lightbulb moment of building a set of Kemilway and a set of Newbould in tandem so that I could cross reference parts to get an idea of how the Newbould ones go together.

Below are a couple of photos of where I got to. - All is done to this point without any soldering on either pair of bogies.

IMG_55631024x519_zpsd83baa26.jpg

First up the Kemilway version. They gave the first time that I have had to do any amount of filing, which was needed on the front and rear of the frames. To be fair the instructions do point out that you will need to make them fit properly. 

IMG_55641024x515_zpsc45619fb.jpg

Then the Newbould version.

So far they are similar in many respects.

No photo's yet but some progress has been made with the bogies before I succumbed to lurgy that has been haunting me for a couple of weeks.

Unlike many etched kits, unless other wise stated all the folds on the Kemilway kits go to the outside and I as I have come to expect, the instructions for the bogies start of by stating this. They then deviate from it completely with many of the folds in the first section of construction needing to be to the inside......

You can just make out albeit it's not the clearest photo in the work that the right hand Kemilway bogie above has two strips protruding upwards from the middle of the bogie - where you would expect the bolster to be. While looking at the illustrations that accompany the text it's clear that there are a few small tabs that clearly fold inside not outside. This was nagging at me so I re-read the instructions and thinking about it more I realised that this bit was wrong as well and that they should have folded down not up. This allows the pieces that fold out from them to sit cleanly on the top on the bogie ends where they should.  

So having redone the ones that were wrong - very gently and nothing having broken away I am now ready to look at the springs.

On a different note I would just like to commend the service that I have received from CPL. I have only ever bought items from CPL at shows and I recently enquired by email about some LNER coach etches that they have listed. Pat Legg very kindly sent me some photo copies of the etches so that I could see what was included and explained how to order etc. Those may be on the cards for the New Year when funds permit but in the mean time I sent of an order for various bit's and pieces to help me finish the NBR BG. Posted the order and cheque on Monday and I only had a 2nd class stamp to hand. I received a package with the order this morning. Super service,  especially I would expect that PCL are probably attending the Reading show and as such will no doubt have a busy week this week. Highly recommended! 

Progress on the bogies hasn't been quick due in part to me not feeling at my best and then due to the instructions on the Kemilway bogies telling you to drill through the shock absorber castings with a 0.6mm drill. 

This hasn't proved easy and 6 broken drill bits later, having only got through 4 of the 16 castings I abandoned that idea and took the safer route. This route had me drilling either end of the casting and fitting a stub of 0.6mm nickel rod in the bottom of the castings and then shortening the spring rod and inserting it into the top of the casting before solder them on. 

IMG_55731024x603_zpsda35bb58.jpg

This is a shot with them complete on one of the bogies and very nice they look too - they have a nice chunky feel to them now

IMG_55761024x478_zpsf752ba88.jpg

I haven't made much progress on the Newbould versions beyond soldering up the springs and studying the shock absorber castings which already have a screw thread at the bottom - this is what I believe the 0.6mm rod represents on the Kemilway version.

IMG_5574602x477_zpsf5e9ed32.jpg

IMG_55711024x500_zps0ff6319e.jpg

Regards Rob
  • Like 1

The bogies trundle slowly forward,  doing 4 at a time means a lot of repetitive tasks before appearing to get anywhere. 

All the axles boxes have been soldered up and their face plates added etc. I test fit them in their respective bogies and then hit a snag.

These are the axle boxes - cruel close ups

IMG_5589705x564_zpsb914cc00.jpg

IMG_5590714x565_zpsc18ce638.jpg

And these are the frames

IMG_55831024x683_zpseef9d444.jpg

IMG_5584858x769_zps0d1a76e9.jpg

The axle boxes for the Kemilway bogies slide right to the top of the horn guides but the Newbould ones hit the curved cut out for the bearing. Struggling to understand this I moved on with other things and emailed Peter Dobson. Peter replied and explained that this was an anomaly that was due to him using a similar design to his Gresley bogies where the bearing cut out is to accommodate compensation. Whereas these particular bogies are not design to be compensated.

His suggested solution is as follows.

IMG_5591714x565_zps872d6252.jpg

The suggestion is to cut of the area marked in red and either stick on or solder the axle box in place making them rigid. I am going to go further with the Kemilway bogies first to see if I can pick up any tips that might help to compensate these - albeit the Kemilway ones have a phosphor bronze spring plate for their compensation.

Great work Rob... I've been undecided which coaches to get for my Martin Finney Gresley A1 when I finally get around to starting it.... following your build thread I think I've found the answer... I love the detail on these models and your making them beautifully.... well done...:)

Pete

Having got as far as fitting the bolster to the bogie frames last night I hit another minor snag with the Newbould bogies. The Kemilway bogies are designed that you can have one fixed with a little play and one that pivot's from side to side. This is done via the three holes in the side of the bolster frames. The newbould bogies have the same holes so I attempted to duplicate the Kemilway set up and found that the fold down "wings" that have the three holes in the bogie frame are slightly too long and need a couple of mm taking of each side. 

NewbouldFoxBogieEtch1024x701_zpsaa49d49a

Now that I know on the rest  that I have for other projects I will take it off while the bogies are still flat with a piercing saw - on the assembled bogies I had a to do it more crudely with the Dremel and a slitting disk. Thankfully it is tucked up out of the way and cannot be seen on the finished bogie.

Hi Rob

I've been looking through the thread and couldn't find which model you have from Kemilway's range, perhaps you'd be so kind as to give out those details or direct me to where they are if already supplied.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

The first coach in the line up is the 52' GNR D114 - Kemilway Ref CB15

The next is the 58' 6" GNR D176 - Kemilway ref CB1

In the stash untouched so far I also have

A 61'6" Dia 218F G.N.R Brake Compo - Kemilway ref CB2
A 61'6"Dia 218A G.N.R Brake Compo - Kemilway ref CB3
A 61'6"Dia 249B/277B G.N.R All 3rd - Kemilway ref CB5
A 52' Dia 248D G.N.R All 3rd - Kemilway ref CB14

I hope that helps?

Thanks Rob.... I know very little about rolling stock so it's nice to know what I'm looking at, hopefully I'll start to learn what's what.. are you modelling GNR or later as LNER, what trains/ services would these coaches typically operate on?

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

I will be modelling them as LNER coaches and one of the all thirds is supplied as that rebuilt by the LNER  in 1937 (I think) so one to watch if you were modelling an earlier period. Some of them offer different ends depending on the period modelled - with windows, panelled over windows or small windows in the brake ends so you do get some choice as to how you finish them.

As to types of train and formations, I haven't done any research yet. 

Thanks Rob... I'm trying to work out what may have been used for the first  Flying Scotsman train in 1928....I like the look of your coach so if Kemilway

do any that are suitable I think they will be my choice of manufacturer... looks like I also have some research to do.. no rush I have plenty of other work to get on before starting the train although it would be good to start collecting what i need...:)

Cheers

Pete

cheers Rob... I did see the listing for FS coaches, just didn't really know what they they were... btw I do have the book ' LNER passenger trains and formations' which IIRC you recommended to me in another thread. It does cover FS giving details of coaches and which locations they parted. I haven't had time to read it fully yet but intend to over xmas. I think my problem is not knowing enough about the different types of coaches involved, something I need to rectify in due course....I need more than 24 hours in a day....lol

Kind regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

I have just remembered that CPL do etches only for the restaurant triplet set that was built for the Flying Scotsman. I made some enquires recently about them and plan to order some in the new year for collection at Cleckheaton Show.

Hi Rob

Thanks for the heads up.... I best get collecting the various bits and pieces required to make the whole train..... got so many other things to finish first but it would probably be wise to start taking notes on what I need and who can provide the parts or do I need to scratch build myself.. no rush to build though........:)

Cheers

Pete 

Progress has been steady and I have to confess to getting a little bogged down with the bogies.

Not the best shot in the world but you can see where I had to hack out the ends of the bolster supports with the cutting disk.

IMG_55911024x683_zps5924e1d6.jpg

This is what it looks like with the bolster assembled - nicely detailed.

IMG_55921024x683_zps750ee142.jpg

IMG_55931024x683_zps062f706c.jpg

Once I realised I wasn't making much progress with the bogies I decided to move onto the detailing of the NBR BG. I have a few more exterior photos now so I am just in the process of adding bump stops, grab handles etc. 

What I have done is make up some interior details, the first is the pressure gauge? (not really sure of it's name) from some brass sprue, rod washers etc. The second is a very nice Sidelines brake standard casting which I have modified by creating a head mechanism that allows the handle to be side mounted instead of on the top. Once again scrap etch to the rescue - I based it on an outline drawing and the casting that Jim McGeown provides in his NBR Brake van kit.

IMG_5595857x1024_zps96bf28cf.jpg

IMG_5596687x1024_zps6f273ed6.jpg

• Like 1