RMweb

Phoenix no longer exporting overseas : no more Crimson Lake ?

Have you tried Roxey Mouldings.  They used to sell Crimson Lake in their own tins.  It was actually from PP!

Roxey can't post paint domestically either - Dave doesn't sell enough of it to get the same sort of terms from the courier that Precision do, I was chatting with him last week, and he expressed surprise that his 'at show' trade in Precision paint hasn't increased because of the postage ban. It wouldn't entirely surprise me if he were to gradually run down that stock, so as with all small traders, use it or lose it.

Jon

I had a look at Phoenix' site and found this statement:http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/about-us/terms-conditions.htmlSomewhat contradictory. Do they ship NOTHING overseas or are just those items listed banned. Logically, they should be able to ship enamel paint. My last email to them was ignored so maybe someone else willhave more luck.John

I have had more than one conversation by phone and in person at exhibitions in the vain hope of a shift in position on overseas shipping. In fairness it is not Phoenix et al that are at fault, but our pesky terrorists ('allegedly') who seem to have convinced the US, Canadian and UK government that passing one's time in a constructive, sedentary hobby is akin to threatening national security (now there's a philosophical topic for you...). Ala to the result has been that the rentathugs (TSA = Take Stuff Away) at customs have 'destroyed' shipments of paint, much to my annoyance and that of many others I believe. It's to keep us secure I am told. I must confess I feel less secure about having to circumvent such laws and practices that I would worrying about terrorists but that is just me.

So, in short I get the impression they are not willing to ship because of possible losses and ridiculous courier costs customers balk at paying, all of which just annoys customers who may not come back.

But we are an inventive lot in this hobby and will, I am sure thwart this nonsense and get on with modelmaking as we should...

Kept the faith, comrades!

Marcus

(Humming the Internationale), I hope so Marcus. Hardware stores can mix paint in an almost infinite range of colours. I just wonder if the pigments used in household paint are too big, or something else. I have enough paint to be going on with but it would be nice to know that there's an alternative.

John

Have you tried this website?

http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

10949963616_d9778702ce_c.jpg

you simply upload a picture that you consider to reproduce a good example of the colour you wish to find/replicate and the website will identify the "Pantone" and "RAL" colour equivalences and suggest model paints which are close matches. I uploaded a picture of Duchess of Hamilton taken at the NRM last year. Now of course this photo was taken under artificial light and of a very shiny locomotive; but, by picking an area of the photo which looked colour true I got suggested Revell "Purple Red" as a very close match.

Hope this helps.

• RMweb Premium

I have had more than one conversation by phone and in person at exhibitions in the vain hope of a shift in position on overseas shipping. In fairness it is not Phoenix et al that are at fault, but our pesky terrorists ('allegedly') who seem to have convinced the US, Canadian and UK government that passing one's time in a constructive, sedentary hobby is akin to threatening national security (now there's a philosophical topic for you...). Ala to the result has been that the rentathugs (TSA = Take Stuff Away) at customs have 'destroyed' shipments of paint, much to my annoyance and that of many others I believe. It's to keep us secure I am told. I must confess I feel less secure about having to circumvent such laws and practices that I would worrying about terrorists but that is just me.

So, in short I get the impression they are not willing to ship because of possible losses and ridiculous courier costs customers balk at paying, all of which just annoys customers who may not come back.

But we are an inventive lot in this hobby and will, I am sure thwart this nonsense and get on with modelmaking as we should...

Kept the faith, comrades!

Marcus

I would agree, but is it not up to modellers generally (not just railway modellers) to approach governments to push for an exemption for small quantities? Even if there was a limitation within a package of say 6 inlets, it would go a long way resolving some of the problems of non supply at all? Now Hornby have started manufacturing in the UK again, this problem presumably impacts on their sales of paint.

Time to get effected suppliers & various umbrella organisations (clubs & societies etc, even Andy Y representing 20,787 members, as of while typing this) from all hobbies united for once. Or have people like war gamers already got a solution?

I would agree, but is it not up to modellers generally (not just railway modellers) to approach governments to push for an exemption for small quantities? Even if there was a limitation within a package of say 6 inlets, it would go a long way resolving some of the problems of non supply at all? Now Hornby have started manufacturing in the UK again, this problem presumably impacts on their sales of paint.

Time to get effected suppliers & various umbrella organisations (clubs & societies etc, even Andy Y representing 20,787 members, as of while typing this) from all hobbies united for once. Or have people like war gamers already got a solution?

Hmmm..'Power to the people" etc, perhaps - and I think there is a case in there somewhere, but for now I can't quite fathom it. That doesn't mean we as a collective body can't find it, however. For now I just order what I need and send it to my unsuspecting 'mule' - sorry, mother, who moans about dodgy packages. Then I pick up my 'merchandise' on a trip to see her (funny how it coincides with Scalefour/Railwells. No, I do visit her more often. Who could not??) three or four times a year. I just plan for the frequency, that's all. But seriously, folks, (!) there may be a case to answer in asking the State Department to exempt 'hobby' materials and to persuade HMG to ease things on the same grounds, but don't hold your breath. I am up for asking....

Best,

Marcus

Drifting back to paint for a moment... A chum of mine who knows about these things says Badger Modelflex DM&IR maroon is a perfect match for LMS/MR red.

HTH

David

Interesting you should mention that Dave. I happened to do a sampling of DM&IR and Milwaukee Maroon last night. Your post spurred me to consult the expert - E.F. Carter, whose book "Britain's Railway Liveries" (1952), contains a colour plate of the major railway colours used in the pre and post grouping eras.

Checking the paint samples in the book, it is my opinion that DM&IR, while close, is slightly more purple and much closer to Barry Railway* "dark crimson lake". I think that Milwaukee Maroon is closer to LMS Crimson Lake, being redder. This colour was surprisingly (to me) widely used by quite a number of pre-group railways.

Colour is very subjective and perception can be altered by several factors and I certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two colours on a layout.

John

*I had to leaf through the book until I found the correct paint reference.

• 4 months later...

Today I received in the mail some acrylic Railmatch paints from 2ktechnologies after buying them on eBay. I am in the US (NJ) where paranoia is rampant over liquids and so so. Finally I have a supplier of the paints I need - alas, not the breadth of colors that Phoenix produce, but for me, bliss! if anyone needs Railmatch colors in acrylics, there is your source!

Best,

Marcus

Today I received in the mail some acrylic Railmatch paints from 2ktechnologies after buying them on eBay. I am in the US (NJ) where paranoia is rampant over liquids and so so. Finally I have a supplier of the paints I need - alas, not the breadth of colors that Phoenix produce, but for me, bliss! if anyone needs Railmatch colors in acrylics, there is your source!

Best,

Marcus

This is great news - thanks!

Since Testors decided to stop producing the Floquil Railroad colours (use them for acrylic engine diry blacks, rail colours etc.,) it's been rather bleak trying to figure out/decide what to use in its place because of the difficulty getting Railmatch or other UK based paints here - I'm in Minneapolis. Now I know where to go - YAY!

This is great news - thanks!

Since Testors decided to stop producing the Floquil Railroad colours (use them for acrylic engine diry blacks, rail colours etc.,) it's been rather bleak trying to figure out/decide what to use in its place because of the difficulty getting Railmatch or other UK based paints here - I'm in Minneapolis. Now I know where to go - YAY!

Howes web site will,give you the available colors and then if you check the sellers 'legal information' on ebay you get his phone number etc, so if the color you need isn't listed I am sure he can provide it. Best of luck!

Archived