Phoenix no longer exporting overseas : no more Crimson Lake ?

I have two Midland Spinner loco kits I am going to build but it looks like Phoenix paints no longer export overseas. I tried to register an account and the only country allowed in the address field was UK.

What are my options ? I have never seen anybody else produce the crimson lake colour. I am stumped ! I did try to mix it myself once but I never even got close. Does anybody else do a crimson lake...preferably an enamel paint as that is what I am used to working with.

Really a poor do this.  I sent them a message a couple of weeks ago asking if they'd got their overseas shipping sorted yet - no response.  Other retailers are using couriers which of course can cost more, but I suspect many of us would be willing to pay to get the stuff we want.  Hatton's have used a non GPO shipping company (CityLink) for all their overseas orders (well mine anyway) and at much lower cost than the GPO ( 4 pounds vs a minimum of 8 pounds for RM).

John

• RMweb Premium

They are working on it I believe.(Phoenix that is)

I fail to see how shipping a 14ml tinlet of paint can possibly be a health & safety issue. After all, model paints have been going by mail for decades and now it's a health and safety issue. Criminal even! They'll be refusing letters that aren't written in pencil next. Ink is flamable isn't it? Ooo so's the paper!!! Every body stop working. Every body out!   

A workaround might be to get a kindly UK forum member to purchase the items at a show from Phoenix and then post them to you.

If the packaging is nondescript and the customs check label shows something innocuous such as "acrylic model paint" rather than enamel all could be well in the world as the Royal Mail prohibits the posting of solvent based paints.

• RMweb Gold

A workaround might be to get a kindly UK forum member to purchase the items at a show from Phoenix and then post them to you.

If the packaging is nondescript and the customs check label shows something innocuous such as "acrylic model paint" rather than enamel all could be well in the world as the Royal Mail prohibits the posting of solvent based paints.

ISTR that from earlier this year acrylics were placed on the Royal Mail proscribed list, too, along with lithium batteries.

• RMweb Gold

Would you like a file in your cake when we come to visit you in Wormwood Scrubs?

Mike.

ISTR that from earlier this year acrylics were placed on the Royal Mail proscribed list, too, along with lithium batteries.

HI All

You can post Lithium batteries with the product they are to be used in and a spare, this sort of makes it a bit of a joke does it not. 

Regards Arran

All the quotes of HSE! I did a few stints in RM Copperas Hill Liverpool as a student, at the time of the lengthy disagreements with HM Gov and the IRA.

Our HSE chat lasted oh all of two minutes, our beware of suspect packages (dont EVER say bomb we were told pre training session!) Lasted five minutes, the "training" session began with all right lads about these bombs...

Just got Bargain Hunt on and just jogged my memory during the HSE chat they also had us sign the official secrets act...so pssst dont tell anyone I have told the forum..... :(

Acrylic paints are restricted for inland postage:

Water-based paints, wood varnishes and enamels

The items must be securely closed and placed in a leak-proof liner, such as a sealed polythene bag, so that any inadvertent leakage is contained within the outer packaging. Surround with absorbent material such as newspaper and sufficient cushioning material to protect each item from damage. Volume per item should not exceed 150ml. No more than four items can be sent in any one package. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

The full list of restricted items and prohibited items

Well, I have just spoken directly with Phoenix Paints. they are working on a solution. They think they have got Europe back as thay have found a courier to take it there. The rest of the world is still a problem at the moment but they said to keep an eye on the website.

Did the Midland Singles ever run in LMS black ?    :)

Can you get British Leyland/Rover Damask Red out there, Brian? It's a pretty good match.

I do not know. I am in China at the moment but I will send an email to the Cairns paint shop now and see if I get a favourable response.

The alternative is to ask the car spray painting guys to mix some up for me ; those blokes can match anything.

I made some coaches for a friend of mine and he had some paint (1906 LSWR Salmon) made by a garage.  Trouble is the paint was urethane which requires very special safety equipment - the filter mask isn't good enough.  That's worth checking if you go down that route.  I ended up mixing some acrylic myself - it took ages and it probably isn't exact.

John

• RMweb Gold

It may be worth getting Phoenix to talk to FedEx. Their Rep that deals with works account has told us a few times how good their "hazardous" export systems are for regular senders (Isle of Man, Shetlands, Jersey etc. on the other hand are a different story....).

I cannot verify the veracity, but i was told by a local Hobby shop that Canada has or is the process of implementing an overall ban on all non water soluble paints, whether they be gallons sizes or cc sizes.  According to my source I was told this is all part of the "green" campaign.

Simple solution take your paint tin to Lowes or home depot , Have them scan it and mix you up a sample jar I have done it many times , cheaper and just as good . It is not enamel of course but it does thew job well enough .

Martin

I have had paint matched before but it does require having something in the correct colour in the first place.

I have had LT train red matched because I was able to paint a piece of card to get it scanned. However, trying to match the Bachmann SR green used on their 4 CEPs and 2 EPBs was much more difficult because the scanner couldn't find a sufficiently large area to scan properly - it kept coming up with a grey! Eventually a guy in a  local paint shop in Nunawading took the time and trouble to try to match it manually/visually. The colour we ended up with was close but not identical and now adorns my kit-built 2 HAL unit.

I should have been clearer :  I still have half of a tin of Phoenix Crimson Lake so that should be good enough to copy. I thought it would be enamel paint they give you at the paint shop ?

I am not sure as i always use latex or acrylic paint from Lowes or Home depot !!!!

Archived