North East Model Railway (Trenholme Junction)

dougattrenholmebar

I particularly like this film and judging by the comments a lot of others do too, so this is a bonus monochrome edition, to banish the winter blues.

Model Railway based on North East England large scale junction in the 1960's.

Trenholme Junction was built to be filmed from the trains, to be part of a main line railway back in the day and the best view of all is from a camera mounted on the front window of a Diesel Multiple Unit.

In this film the train sets off from the Branch End and onto the East Station before entering the tunnel. After calling at the the Main Station the train then calls at the South East Station before finally terminating at the North Bay Platform.

The camera position in these runs gives the illusion of distance which is only possible form this angle, referring to the Deltic and Pullman coaches in this film. Illustrates another one of the aims of building the layout - to see a train approaching in the distance, but not seeing what it is until its closer - as in real life.

Hi Doug.

I refer back to Quentin's post when he states ' will there be a few more videos before the fateful day?'

Please tell me that there is not to be a fateful day for your wonderful Trenholme Junction. It must be saved for the nation, in order for us mere mortals to enjoy our regular journeys on this modelling masterpiece.

Your latest monochrome fim is excellent.

Jeff

Hi Doug.

I refer back to Quentin's post when he states ' will there be a few more videos before the fateful day?'

Please tell me that there is not to be a fateful day for your wonderful Trenholme Junction. It must be saved for the nation, in order for us mere mortals to enjoy our regular journeys on this modelling masterpiece.

Your latest monochrome film is excellent.

Jeff

Jeff, There is a lot of information about the layout in the blog. Link below is to the first article, the others are listed on the right hand side of the page, including the impending demise of Trenholme Junction.

Thanks for your kind words,

Doug W.

http://dougattrenholmebar.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/north-east-model-railway-trenholme.html

• Like 1

Hi Doug, I've just been to your link which makes excellent reading, and although I read briefly about the Layouts expected demise in a previous post, I cant find any reference to it in the Link.

Andy,

The link is to the first blog in a string of several. The first one, Origins', was written as a magazine article but decided to publish it myself to be free of editorial control. You can view all the others if  look down the right hand side of the blog for 'Blog Archive', bottom to top to get into date order. Give me a shout if you have a problem.

Doug

In Part 2 of this series the DMU arrived at the North Bay of the Main Station. This is the termination of this service. From here the next movement is to the North Carriage Sidings. Before that can happen an express perishables train has to pass through the junction. The train, headed by Class 44 D1 Scafell Pike first stops at the Main Station to allow a crew change and we jump aboard the Guards Van until it leaves the locality. Finally, the DMU leaves the North Bay and heads off to the Carriage Sidings.

• Like 2

Hi Doug

Another super trip around your Trenholme Junction layout. Lovely to see D1, Scafell Pike again. It was a regular through this area (Burton upon Trent) when I was a young spotter.

This weeks route, finishing up at the carriage sidings was excellent.

Thanks very much

Jeff

In Part 3 of this series the DMU is stabled in the North Carriage Sidings awaiting the next turn of duty. In this film the activities at the north end of the station are viewed from both the platforms and through both drivers cabs of the DMU. The DMU finally moves back to the station before setting off through the North Tunnel.

This part of the layout isn't filmed much because the ceiling at the south end of the layout is lower and its very difficult to avoid having the lights in the shots, in this film I decided not to edit the the lights out to get as much height as possible. I don't think it spoils the film too much and gives the opportunity to see how complex the junction is at this part of the layout.

• Like 2

In Part 4 of this series the DMU is last seen leaving the Main Station and entering the tunnel at the north end of Trenholme Junction. In this film we emerge from the tunnel at adjacent to the Pit Exchange Sidings. After stopping at both the West and and East Stations the train terminates in the bay platform and then retires to the carriage sidings next to Exchange Sidings where a mixed freight passes hauled by a Class 20.

• Like 1

Hi Doug

Parts 3 and 4 are superb. It must take an age to set the routes that we are lucky enough to travel on, but I can only presume that the planning of these routes is also very time consuming. Also, I never cease to be amazed at the locos, carriages and freight wagons that we see, awaiting their next turn of duty.

Thanks again for sharing the videos of Trenholme Junction.

Jeff

In Part 5 of this series the DMU was retired to the carriage siding adjacent to the Pit Exchange Sidings from where we set off on this turn of duty. After allowing a passing through train we return tot the bay platform to pickup passengers, and, after waiting for a train of empty wagons to be brought in to the head shunt we set off for the Main Station through the West Tunnel.

The last journey was through relatively quiet tracks (Sunday service, someone remarked). This journey is anything but, travelling finally to the Branch End through some busy end of afternoon traffic, evident by the Parcels Stock moving into position for the overnight mail services.

Good morning Doug, I haven't fully watched the Video above yet as my computer is slow and so I'll have a look tonight.

Can I ask please, in earlier (about 6 Months ago) DMU Videos, the camera was behind the Driver and so in my opinion it felt more like you were in a DMU Cab, so is the reason for the change because you using a different DMU or have you changed your camera.

Still all great and really enjoyable though.

Good morning Andrew,

Two different techniques. The one inside the cab shows less of a view than the current 'stuck on the cab window' position. Matter of preference really, from the comments I receive its about 50/50 what people like. One of the things I wanted to achieve with the project was the 'view into the far distance' and the current technique shows distance better than the 'in cab' position

Personally I like both versions.

Thanks for your comments.

Doug W.

We rejoin the DMU at the Branch End taking the route to west side of the upper Marshaling Yard and onto the the East Station with a 4MT running beside us on the goods line. After a brief stop we go through the south tunnel and emerge next to a Pullman Train travelling North on the fast passenger line. After travelling on passing the the lower Marshaling Yard and a further stop at the South East Station, we travel on to the South Bay on the Main Station where the service terminates.

• Like 2

The journey in the cab of the DMU continues after a wait in the South Bay while traffic on the Station through roads passes through and a second DMU arrives and departs from the same Bay as us. Traffic is busy at the junction today as we are given our route. At the termination of the route we head back to the North Carriage Sidings after allowing further traffic to pass us.

• Like 2

Its been a couple of years since I made a film on the Station Pilot theme, so I thought a new one was overdue.

The camera position is looking out of the window at the rear of the locomotive over the shunter's truck. A unique position. I think there can't have been many films made from this viewpoint. Gentle and relaxing movements of coaching stock from the south carriage sidings to the main station.

• Like 1

Following on from last weeks film we continue aboard the 08 Shunter, looking out of the rear window, as it carries out its duties at Trenholme Junction. This week, we first await the passage of the Breakdown Train before we make our way to the North Bay on the Main Station to remove the parcels stock from the local arrival.

• Like 1

A Black 5 leaves the shed area with a Brake Van bound for the Lower Marshalling Yard to pick up its train and deliver it to the Upper Marshalling Yard.

We ride on board the rear Brake Van for most of the journey giving a view only Goods Guards had of their trains.

• Like 1