Over-coating PVA watercourses

I poured the initial layer of PVA "water" in my stream/ditch four days ago and about a quarter of it is still milky.  I know I should I wait for it to clear completely before I pour the next layer, but the layouts first exhibition looms ever larger and I'm already starting to panic.

Do I have to wait for the rest of it to dry before pouring further layers or can I get away with another layer now?

The problem is not so much the dryness of the water (oxymoron?) as all the other things I am unable to do to the layout while I wait for the water to dry.  I reckon two, more likely three layers more will be needed, factor in the certainty that temperatures will plummet very soon, slowing drying times even more, and . . . Yikes!

I'm reviving this barely-got-started-in-the-first-place thread (Thanks Mickey and Shortliner) because the situation has got worse and as PVA has become a popular means of reproducing water it could well affect others in the future.

When I made the original posting the waterway concerned (A ditch/stream about four feet long) was about 80% clear, glossy, potential "water" with the rest obstinately refusing to look like anything other than half-dried pools of white PVA glue.  That was when it had been down for four days

Then the Great Storm happened and the weather conditions changed.

It's now been down a week and only 20% of the watercourse is clear, glossy, potential "water" while the rest - including, obviously, an awful lot that was perfectly satisfactory before - has become opaque and milky.

A couple of cautious prods, followed by some rather sterner taps with a fingernail has established that the whole lot has set as solid as a rock.

Comments, anyone?

As much as I hate to be a harbinger of doom but what you currently have is officially a lost cause.

Your original areas of milky PVA are due to it having been applied too thickly in places and surrounding thinner patches drying around it, trapping moisture and encapsulating it never to fully dry and always remain milky.

Unfortunately though it sounds like all of the PVA in your watercourse was not 100% set when the weather changed and it sucked in moisture from the damp air dramatically increasing the milky appearance of your water.

Had this on a club layout when we poured a canal basin scene and the solutions are fairly dramatic unfortunately.

Options:

remove all the PVA you have already poured (chisel, scraper, etc) and start again brushing thin layers of PVA whilst running some form of heating to ensure adequate drying (space heater or fan heater)

paint over what has been poured to create a new riverbed and then brush thin layers of PVA with heating on to set.

I understand the exhibition deadline and the need to expedite the situation but If you pour to speed up the process you are going to end up with milky spots again - sorry :(

Thank you, Corax.

The same diagnosis has been lurking in the back of my mind for the last few days but I've been in denial, needing the confirmation you have provided.

Ironic that a mainly winter-based hobby features something central to many layouts that is best suited to being done in high summer!

If it's urgent, can you redo it as a dry stream/ditch, and add the water after the exhibition when you can take your time? The streams through my land (in real life) have been dry all summer, with just some small ponds in the deeper bits, before reverting to raging torrents recently!

Thanks, John

The situation isn't that desperate.  Its a case of I cant do Job A until I've done Job B, which I cant do until I've done Job C etc.  The watercourse is probably only Job K or L but is the log-jam that's holding everything else up so is causing the panic.

Dry streams in West Wales?  We are talking about the same Wales here, are we?

As it happens, it was a false start with Woodlands Scenics that prompted me to use PVA in the first place.

I found it was so thick and gloopy it was quite difficult to work in the first place and its ultra-slow setting time caused further problems.  I could set everything up as best I could before leaving it to set then come back a couple of hours later to find nothing obviously amiss, I could then return next morning to find the baseboards had evidently been a fraction of a degree or so off dead level and the gloop had spent the night oozing slowly down the gradient, solidifying as it went, to produce a ridiculous-looking watercourse of the type that prompted dubious jokes about Irish water-skiers.

If anyone wants an extremely expensive, almost-full bottle of Woodlands Scenics allegedly Realistic Water . . .

• RMweb Gold

Ill swap a bit of sea for Brent! :P

Ok which bit. :jester: Seriously that's just the effect I'm and the OP's after I think but it's not a quick job and it certainly needs to be warm when you attempt it otherwise it goes cloudy.

Dry streams in West Wales?  We are talking about the same Wales here, are we?

I should have taken photos to prove it! I now discover that only 21 years after inheriting them from my Dad, I have a leak in one of my wellies!!!!

Define thin, please.

Do you mean fractions of a millimetre or well diluted?

When I say 'thin' I mean literally brushed on as if it were a coat of acrylic paint or emulsion on a wall, almost opalescent in look. It's a laborious process but a whole lot better than having to dig out & rework.

Hi Mike,

depending on the era that you are representing, you could put on a few dead fish and a factory with a waste pipe pumping into the stream, or turn it into a temporary green lane with some added debris and a landrover.(If after 1950).

Best wishes,

Ray

Archived