Long Rock shed (the old one) dimensions?

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to tap in to the wealth of knowledge here to help me set the size of the centrepiece of my proposed 4mm/foot layout, Long Rock shed, 1966  - 1976.

The layout itself will be a maximum length of 14', including a short cassette type fiddle yard, and a maximum width of 3'.

I have messed about with various photos of the windows and doors in photoshop to ascertain the length of the shed building itself and it has turned out about 50% longer than I had anticipated! The cardboard mock-up can accomodate three Type 4 locos on each track in the mainshed, I had guessed only two from simply estimating lengths from photos.

I'm hoping someone could provide a definitive answer with specific dimensions, or just as useful indeed any memories of the capacity of the shed in terms of locomotives housed.

I've got my trackplan sorted, plenty of photos of locos in the yard have given me a good idea of lenghths etc, I won't be able to fit the whole yard in but I was hoping to get a usable and realistic amount. However, if the shed is indeed 50% larger than estimated then I may have underestimated some of the distances between pointwork, buildings and other features in the yard. I can accept some compression in this area but really want to get the shed right so that should I ever have more space for a larger layout I won't have to rebuild the shed itself.

Regarding the cassettes for the fiddle yard, what would be the longest formation I would need to accomodate? Two Warships? A three car DMU? Maybe the fuel tank train? About 2'6" seems a sensible compromise, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.

If the shed in 1947's any good:

Shed - 210ft x 66ft

Lifting Shop - 84ft x 40ft

Boiler House - 30ft x 22ft

Offices - 125ft x 15ft

Coal Stage - 32ft x 30 ft with tank over 45,000 gallons

210ft x 106ft is the main building size - 3ft x 1ft 4in in 4mm

All from Lyons - 1947 GW engine sheds

Don't know what happened after then.

Capacity - in 1947 4-6-0 - 3 counties, 1 Castle, 6 Halls, 4 Granged 2-6-0 2 Moguls - 2-6-2T 6 4500 0-6-0 3 Pannier Tanks

Scanned from a colleagues photo copy and then reduced this copy is not brilliant but it gives a reasonable idea. Scale was 1:2500 (I think that is 208.33 ft per inch).

Click to enlarge.

post-7112-0-67931500-1382907355_thumb.png

• RMweb Premium

Massive thanks for the speedy and hugely helpful replies. I paid for a download of that map Flood and it proved a great help, particularly in settling on a trackplan, minus turntable. Funnily enough, from the map and the photos I have I had managed to guesstimate the size at 205', not bad given the potential variables, and my cardboard mock-up is 820mm long along the side facing the mainline and the sea.

John, those dimensions are precisely what I was looking for, I've scoured so many second hand bookshops/NRM search engine/worldwide web/ and I could've just asked on here! Ha ha, should've known this was the place to come first, although I do enjoy a bit of research and I'm pleased I managed to get so close to the right dimensions through various means, largely dubious.

Jeremy, I intend to start a thread in the Layouts section once I get going properly and will keep everyone updated. I'm quite surprised that there aren't a number of models of the depot out there already, it just seems such a handy size and shape to make a good layout and would suit everything from Castles and Panniers through to D600 and D800 Warships, Westerns, Fifties and bubblecars. The only thing stopping me previously was the lack of a really good 4mm Class 52 model but with one on the desk already alongside a tatty green Class 22 and a D600 on order I've got no excuses anymore. Also looking forward to NBL Warships and Bubblecars in the future.

Hi Dave,

Why not go for 2mm scale then you could model the whole depot. Plenty of really good quality locos available now in this scale too, including Dapol's Western which is a fantastic model. And you could have full length express trains zipping along the mainline in front of the depot for added interest. Whichever you decide, this project sounds really exciting.

You've probably already seen this but there are some great pictures of the depot near the bottom of thus web page http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/long-rock-depot.html

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the links. I do already have those pictures. The Cornwall Railways website is the one main source of images that has allowed me to make a start.

I did briefly consider 2mm scale when I was selling off my old rolling stock but figured my eyesight probably isn't up to the challenge. If I had the space I would be going for 7mm! How good would that be? Anyway, the 4mm version should be enough to keep me happy and there are secret plans afoot to pinch a little bit more space for the fiddle yard, involving a hole through a stud wall into the spare bedroom. Don't tell the wife though!

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the links. I do already have those pictures. The Cornwall Railways website is the one main source of images that has allowed me to make a start.

I did briefly consider 2mm scale when I was selling off my old rolling stock but figured my eyesight probably isn't up to the challenge. If I had the space I would be going for 7mm! How good would that be? Anyway, the 4mm version should be enough to keep me happy and there are secret plans afoot to pinch a little bit more space for the fiddle yard, involving a hole through a stud wall into the spare bedroom. Don't tell the wife though!

Ha ha! Nice one Dave. I plan to add a small extension at the Western end of my Par station layout which I haven't told my wife about yet!!!

Archived