Bits'n'bobs about Signal Box Constuction GWR/WR style

BRealistic

I’m attempting to scratch-build a Signal Box based on the one that used to adorn the sidings at Goodrington.  Really nice subject, I think, particularly as it appears to have been extended at some time… deduced from ‘reading’ the timbers, so that's probably wrong!

Anyway, I took a whole lot of photos before it sadly did a vanishing trick… much to my annoyance, now, as a couple of it’s details aren’t clear to me and a second look would have been good. I’m wondering, therefore, if the RMwebbers with SB know-how can come to my aid??? 

The first  relates to the gap(s) where the point rodding/signal cabling would have emerged ‘though’ the brickwork plinth.  The best photo I have of the front shows a dark strip immediately beneath the timber structure, and I’m guessing this might be an RSJ ‘beam’ that was originally supported in the brickwork at each end creating a continuous gap below… which has since been in-filled with more brickwork, and is mostly hidden in the photo by a mound of ballast. Does my guesswork make sense?  There does appear to be a straight joint in the brickwork just in from the end of the beam, which would be the start of the gap.

post-11262-0-86351500-1382989890_thumb.jpg

The other detail relates to the internal staircase.  I was thinking of having the external door ajar (with, perhaps, a maintenance crew in attendance!), so would I be anywhere near correct in assuming the staircase would be immediately to the right of the door, with perhaps another door opposite giving access to the downstairs locking room? (or would the downstairs be entirely open with the staircase ‘open’ in the corner?). I can’t be certain, but showing through the window in the photo below, could that be the top of a post that forms part of the safety  balustrade around the staircase opening? (I’ll be modelling the upper floor interior, so that’s why I need to know).

post-11262-0-67668700-1382989910_thumb.jpg

Kind thanks for any ‘explanatory insights’, and, oh yes, the box is proving to be an absolute ***!!!** to construct!  Not just for the precision that's needed in producing and assembling the parts, but for the decisions needed to get 'things' done 'in the right order'! Painting, windows, sides, floor, roof, interior etc etc!

• RMweb Gold

You are right about the gap under the beam at the front. That would be for the rods and wires. Sometimes they had a board fitted across them with holes cut in to cut down draughts.

As you went through the outside door there would have been a second door straight ahead into the locking room, as the signalman wasn't supposed to have access to this.

The stairs would be to the right with a bend half way up. What you can see through the window is the balustrade. This was timber.

That's just brilliant, Signal Engineer... all I need to know to move on with confidence.  I did wonder about the stair having a dog leg, as the rise across the width of the box would be a mountain to climb in a straight flight. Thanks so much for responding.

Just one 'minor' question... would the locking room door have been partially glazed or solid?  Might as well get it right!

I’m attempting to scratch-build a Signal Box based on the one that used to adorn the sidings at Goodrington.  Really nice subject, I think, particularly as it appears to have been extended at some time… deduced from ‘reading’ the timbers, so that's probably wrong!

Just curious as to whether anyone knows for certain that the box was extended, and, if it was, would it have been in 1930/31 in connection with the Loan Act alterations at Goodrington. I believe the Ratio Signal Box kit 223 is meant to be an accurate replica of Goodrington Box but in the wrong scale.

Here's a photo of the rear, if it helps.  The roof ventilators aren't placed 'evenly', while there's an obvious joint line in the main horizontal beam, suggesting a fourth section was added to the right... which could have been 'originally', to extend a standard '3-section' box... as the brickwork plinth doesn't appear to show signs of modification.

post-11262-0-39102800-1383044606_thumb.jpg

Ah, yes, while I'm here... there's a ventilation grill towards the right hand end on the ground floor, and I'm wondering whether this served a WC???... and if so, would the access door have been adjacent to the bottom of the stairs... consequently setting the locking room door a little further into the building (so the signalman could use the loo without entering the locking room)??

All very interesting... to me, anyway!

(Edited to attach the photo!)

• RMweb Gold

That's just brilliant, Signal Engineer... all I need to know to move on with confidence.  I did wonder about the stair having a dog leg, as the rise across the width of the box would be a mountain to climb in a straight flight. Thanks so much for responding.

Just one 'minor' question... would the locking room door have been partially glazed or solid?  Might as well get it right!

Internal locking room doors were always solid in my experience of them - vertical plank finish (and the spare key was usually kept somewhere upstairs - which was always useful if you were called out in the event of a total failure of an electric lock and the S&T could ask you to pop down and look at the shelf type relays before they got together their tools and spares)  

• RMweb Gold

It does look as if the box was extended, possibly when the sidings were altered in the 1950s. The LH locking room window is not of the type you would expect. At the back the locking room window appears to be in the middle of the original structure. The roof vents are spaced differently from the ends. If you look at the back of the box the left and centre ones are spaced equally from uprights.

Regarding toilets, many boxes didn't have one inside. As there is no evidence of a soil pipe I would be more inclined to think that the ventilator was in a battery room. It looks a later addition.

Archived