The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Can I convince my wife to buy this house?

bodmin16

I hope the mud room is not for wrestling, it's not big enough

It's the den that gets why do the dogs get a room to them selves?

And the bonus room? Is it a game show?

And the blue, ok its a nice blue, but its really ....blue

can you sit on the train outside? 'cos if you can't sit on the train....to walk the dog or whatever, i prefer my train in the house

Having seen the kitchen et all...I assume you need a large mortgage..................a really large mortgage...........possibly a crippling mortgage..........and worrying about the mortgage might take the shine off the garden train.....,

I think you could con the wife into the house.....but if you get in her bad books...would you have any pennies left to buy a shed?

Wouldn't it be easier to buy the house next door and just look over the fence and make friends with the owner........

I wanna know what a Mud Room is....my minds bad enough as it is :D

Nothing too exciting - a small room in a house (usually at the back door) where muddy footwear and wet clothes can be taken off as you come in.

And the blue, ok its a nice blue, but its really ....blue

It's not that uncommon a colour here - for this style of home. It's not necessarily in vogue, but there are plenty of them around, particularly with the white trim.

can you sit on the train outside? 'cos if you can't sit on the train....to walk the dog or whatever, i prefer my train in the house

I'd say so. Did you see the 'station'?

Having seen the kitchen et all...I assume you need a large mortgage..................a really large mortgage...........possibly a crippling mortgage..........and worrying about the mortgage might take the shine off the garden train.....,

It is listed at US$3,500,000.

I missed one.

And the bonus room? Is it a game show?

If you look at the pictures, this is the games room (for show, perhaps) with the billiards table and the bar (with beer tap). I'm sure there's a kegerator in there too.

The hierarchy of these rooms is order of formality living room (parlour - UK, lounge room - AUS) family room, bonus room. The card (poker) table is in the 'nook'.

In principle, a bonus room is anything you want it to be. For most of us railway-afflicted mortals it would be the layout room.

Hmmm. With any house purchase, if you can convince your wife that you absolutely hate it, that will be the one she wants.

I was going to tick disagree, as you would being a woman....

but some people get upset about disagrees......so as to not offend I didn't

so on that principle I understood the disagree joke and still didn't.........am I spending so much time on RM I'm turning into a 'bloke'???

• RMweb Premium

Why do American house numbers go so high? Are all the roads really long? A friend suggests that they measure the distance along the street.

Ed

When I visited a friend in the states a few years ago it was difficult to find his house despite there being only about 40 properties in the street. The houses were numbered in the order that they were built, for example number 5 was next door to number 24, I felt very sorry for the postman.

That's typically how structures are numbered in Japan rather than the 'States, Phil.

Street numbers over here bear no relation to street length. The first batch of numbers refer to location of the "block" where the house is located and the final numbers are the house numbers as per the UK. For instance my house number starts with 25 - as do all the houses on our block (between cross-streets).

So we end up here with 4 digit number, which is typical within townships in New Jersey. If you live outside townships then the number gets longer...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Just to show how nerdy we railway enthusiasts can get about numbers.  When I was on a cycling tour in Colorado I had to pedal out to the 15000 block on one street in Denver to find a bike shop.   By comparing numbers with my odometer. the following emerged:-

1 mile = 1000 numbers   each cross street had 100 numbers between it therefore 1 block = 1/10th of a mile.   It also appeared that numbers were all pre allocated so that if not all houses had been built then 17030 might be the house next to 18420 with over a mile gap between.

There you are shows that there is something to thnk about when pedalling along a long straight street.

Jamie

Street numbers over here bear no relation to street length.

Sometimes they do, and sometimes there is no particular reason why a numbering scheme was chosen, but Pete's description is how a lot of numbering occurs. However, Yonge Street (Toronto's 'main street") starts at #1 (at the lake) and gets up to 19000+ when it gets up to Newmarket (40km later). And, in Ontario, a lot of properties used to just have a Rural Route address (e.g. RR1 Pottageville) which just identified the postal route and the municipality. These have pretty much all gone since you need accurate addresses for the 911 emergency response. Our cottage, which never even had a RR address, now has a 4-digit street address, and the one-lane gravel track that leads to the 6 cottages in the area now has a name.

I found the ad interesting in that it quoted the floor area including the (admittedly finished) basement. My experience in Ontario has been that the basement area isn't included in the stated floor area, even if it is finished. That may be a factor of it being in an area where houses aren't required to have basements.

Adrian

I was wrong to say that the numbers bear no relation to street length - obviously the final two or three digits do. By the way, certainly in New Jersey, like the UK odd numbers are on one side of the street, even on the other.

Best, Pete.

It's not that uncommon a colour here - for this style of home. It's not necessarily in vogue, but there are plenty of them around, particularly with the white trim.

I'd say so. Did you see the 'station'?

It is listed at US$3,500,000.

I initially didn't look at the individual photos...trying to not open any thing i don't trust.....but after the comments i went and reviewed

:swoon:

I have to say on reflection 3.5M$ even 3.5£ seems really cheap.........unfortunately my husband can't afford it......otherwise he would have been on the phone to the relaters by now!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought our 3000 sq ft was good, that is really nice. Nice? NICE! OMG If we won the lottery or the pools even I would want to buy it, and spend all day on the locos.  :sungum: You would never leave home would you. As for opening it up to the public HAH! 

• RMweb Premium

Just to show how nerdy we railway enthusiasts can get about numbers.  When I was on a cycling tour in Colorado I had to pedal out to the 15000 block on one street in Denver to find a bike shop.   By comparing numbers with my odometer. the following emerged:-

1 mile = 1000 numbers   each cross street had 100 numbers between it therefore 1 block = 1/10th of a mile.   It also appeared that numbers were all pre allocated so that if not all houses had been built then 17030 might be the house next to 18420 with over a mile gap between.

There you are shows that there is something to thnk about when pedalling along a long straight street.

Jamie

A similar scheme applies to some highways in Australia (generally those in a fire risk zone) in Victoria, where the number reflects the distance from an easily recognised location (usually a major Post office). The number is based on a kilometre distance, where 1234 would represent a building located approximately 12.34KM from the Post Office and 1335 would represent a building 1KM further up, but on the other side. The system is obviously accurate to 10 metres, which is close enough for the emergency services to attend to.

Why do American house numbers go so high? Are all the roads really long? A friend suggests that they measure the distance along the street.

Because in this case, it is a grid reference - not a function of how long the street is.

Many American cities were laid out on a grid. For the most part there were no higgledy piggledy cart tracks or lanes to base the road on so for want of anything else, the founders would lay out a grid.

In 1931, the City of Portland renumbered the street grid with numbers radiating out from a center downtown (I think it is Burnside St. and the river). There are four quadrants: NE, SE, SW and NW. Because there is a salient formed by the rivers, there is also a "N" for North Portland).

So, following the grid, house numbers on E-W streets east of NE 38th Ave will begin with 38xx. House numbers on N-S streets on say NE 38th Ave will increase by 100 with each block you go north. It makes it very easy to find places on the grid.

In the greater Portland metro area (where the street grid disappears) the suburbs often continue using the same numbering process on a 'virtual' grid, adding an extra digit being further away than the equivalent of 100 streets on the grid.

This location 18055 SW is in the south west quadrant. The road is N-S so in concept this is about 180 city grids south of downtown, though I'm not sure this is applied with any particular accuracy.

I wonder how much a similar property would cost here in South Essex? 

£1.7 trillion, but you'd most likely end up sandwiched between a Big Brother winner and a West Ham footballer...

No disrespect to Essex intended, I lived there for 10 years but moved away about the time the Woolworth closed on Southend High Street and Leigh On Sea stopped being "posh"...

Archived