Now that brings back plenty of memories.  I spent many an hour happily gazing at these models at the Old Birmingham Science & Industry Museum as a young lad - unfortunately, whilst wagging off games and RI lessons!  I particularly remember the model of the Gunsmith's factory and the large static railway layouts.  The Gunsmith model sat up on a first floor balcony that overlooked the preserved LMS Princess Coronation Class 6235 City of Birmingham.  I loved that place and was really disappointed when it was closed down in the mid nineties.  It obviously had a long lasting influence on me.  Thanks for the memory.

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but like you I found the old Museum of Science & Industry a great inspiration for life in general. I've never visited the replacement ThinkTank and will only do so under extreme duress when I start my DJH model of 46235.

I agree with a crazy idea of getting 46235 out of the museum on the pretext of removing its asbestos and then restoring it to running condition but my plan would include an oil fired system. This could effectively achieve maximum power output, outdoing what firemen were unable to do over a four hour run. But after all the hoopla with 7 A4s, three Semis together would be wonderful!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi all, it's been some time since I was in a position to recommence work on the diorama, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, come October I'll be able to make some real progress.  It's almost a year since this project started and over six months since I was able to do anything productive.  Working away from home however has enabled me to visit many preserved railways which I otherwise wouldn't have and get valuable reference photos of the clutter in a loco works such as Tyseley or Llangollen.

Coming back to the project with fresh eyes has let me see things a little differently, in particular with the Sketchup model.  In its current form it is way too complex, with over 1.4 million individual lines and that's just the walls! It makes navigating the 3D model impractical and resource hungry.  Using components more wisely would also save on resources and make it easier to make bulk changes to repetitive architectural formations, such as archways, windows etc.  I'd used that feature to an extent, but only after discovering it halfway through the 3D build.

Another major issue is exporting from Sketchup into something like inkscape or Illustrator to prepare the artwork for the laser cutter.   Drawing brickwork in Sketchup creates many more lines than are actually needed - every line connection creates a separate line.  For example a row of 50 brick headers in sketchup would create 50 separate horizontal lines where the vertical line of each brick intersects, whereas in inkscape it would be one long line.   To the laser cutter with artwork from Sketchup, that means 50 separate horizontal lines instead of one long one which must take considerably longer to etch.  It's also a problem when colour coding the artwork for inner or outer cuts as it is seriously time consuming selecting each individual line.   This time round I'll post up some of the time saving techniques I find, for arches in particular as they can be a pain to get right.  

On a different note altogether, I found some more information on what locomotives passed through the works on the website Shed Bash.  This link shows that some other non-Cambrian locos were spotted in the works, such as 5MT's, the odd Grange, County, Hall or Castle, LMS Jubilee's and 8F's and finally 9F's.  

More to come soon :)

• Like 5

Made some steady progress on the yard the last few evenings.  I've only old maps or plans to get dimensions of the outer buildings, the rest is having to be worked out from various photographs, counting bricks, taking some best guesses!  The smaller of the 3 buildings near the yard wall was the lavatory, the large brick building was the electrical substation for the works, the wooden building next to the works entrance was the boshing plant for cleaning locomotive components.  

The oil & gas works are next on the agenda.  Reg has quite a few photographs with this building in view (see back through this thread).  

post-17930-0-43176400-1410030324_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks to this thread, I made a detour into Oswestry last Sunday in order to view the works buildings.

Amazing, it's so good to see such an iconic building put to excellent use.

That's great Jeff, I'm glad you got chance to see them.  It always gives me a shot of inspiration each time I pop by to look at them.  

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? I always found railway works atmospheric, especially on saturday afternoons and sundays, when all was quiet.

Hello Jeff, thanks for checking in.  Lots going on but not much to show just yet.  I'm still working on the yard area buildings from photographs and the plan is to get one fully completed and laser cut next weekend.  If I have time I'll try and get the base of the diorama cut as well and build up from there.

I've also been looking into 3D printing and have had a test piece printed to see what kind of quality is possible.  I've used a model of the Welshpool and Llanfair B&P 0-6-0T which is available online and had it printed whilst on holiday in the USA last week, the quality is pretty amazing... so much so that I've taken the plunge and bought a 3D printer myself.   This will be put to work on all the interior components of the works such as the overhead cranes, but also detailing parts for various locos, such as a top feed and sandboxes for the dukedog, BR pattern chimney's for the manor's.   More to come on that over the next months!  I'm booked onto the Missenden 3D printing weekend course at the end of October which I'm hoping should give me a bit of a kickstart.

Here's the results from the WLLR test print:

15399872266_11023b23b5_c.jpg

W&LLR 0-6-0T Test Prints by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

15236227700_accfae4edf_c.jpg

15236325148_545e3a1a05_c.jpg

15236376207_b3e56a3583_c.jpg

• Like 10

Work on the old gas works in the rear yard of the works is progressing nicely, mainly due to the purchase of Sketchup for Dummies 2014 which has some fantastic tips for increasing the speed of work.  In particular dealing with repetitive tasks and automating the creation of inter-locking brickwork.  

post-17930-0-85829900-1412872017_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-46382900-1412872021_thumb.jpg

Each layer is exported as a DXF into illustrator for brickwork and colour coding for the laser cutter.

post-17930-0-00766500-1412872033_thumb.jpg

I've altered my workflow to avoid sketchup grinding to a halt with millions of lines for the brickwork, this is now done in illustrator which is much more suited to working with the lines and paths in 2D.  More to come shortly :)

The gas works is pictured in this image, to the left of the locomotive. 

post-17930-0-48091600-1412872254.jpg

• Like 8

Does the gas works building definitely have the arch (shown in your drawing) over the doorway, as the picture doesn't seem to show it. Either way it looks excellent.

Hey Tom, thanks. It is there, though the poor quality of the photo doesn't show it.  There is another back through the thread which might show it more clearly, with Foxcote Manor outside.  I'm guessing the entrance was expanded or strengthened at some point with this new lintel.

Thinking a little further ahead, introducing some sound to the diorama has been on my 'to look into list' for a while now.  The idea was inspired by a collection of pictures I came across in the National Library of Wales whilst researching the works.  The pictures were taken by the photographer Geoff Charles in 1960.  Bringing these photos to life in the diorama has been an early goal for the project and with a little more research I hope to put some names to the characters to give the diorama more depth. 

Sounds wise, the British Library amazingly has two recordings which would be perfect for providing background chatter to the scene -

Locomotive Works - Inside a steam locomotive and tender factory - milling/grinding sounds and hand work in boiler shop. Overhead cranes

Victorian Factory - Steam engines. Line shafting and belting taking power to tools. Lathes. Men hammering

Playing these sound files whilst browsing through Geoff's collection does help bring things to life - the only thing missing is the smell!

Here's a few from the collection (Full collection here)

gch18941.jpg

gch18936.jpg

gch18931.jpg

gch18923.jpg

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 12

Thinking a little further ahead, introducing some sound to the diorama has been on my 'to look into list' for a while now.  The idea was inspired by a collection of pictures I came across in the National Library of Wales whilst researching the works.  The pictures were taken by the photographer Geoff Charles in 1960.  Bringing these photos to life in the diorama has been an early goal for the project and with a little more research I hope to put some names to the characters to give the diorama more depth. 

Sounds wise, the British Library amazingly has two recordings which would be perfect for providing background chatter to the scene -

Locomotive Works - Inside a steam locomotive and tender factory - milling/grinding sounds and hand work in boiler shop. Overhead cranes

Victorian Factory - Steam engines. Line shafting and belting taking power to tools. Lathes. Men hammering

Playing these sound files whilst browsing through Geoff's collection does help bring things to life - the only thing missing is the smell!

Here's a few from the collection (Full collection here)

If you ever have the chance to visit the Museum in Birmingham's Jewelry Quarter (I apologize for the American spelling) the short tour takes in all the belted machinery at the back of the preserved workshop.  An electric motor is switched on and the sounds you are looking for come alive!  OK, no steam power but the noise of the belts and wheels would drown a steam engine's noise.

Good to see the diorama forging ahead!

A few more progress screen shots from Sketchup.  The roof has been the main area of focus these last couple of days, its been enjoyable getting it together from a few reference shots and some trial and error.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this cut and hopefully I can take some inspiration from Mikkel and Paternoster Row's achievements with light and shadow.

Overall view of the works and yard

15351477917_192cf75ca2_c.jpg

Oswestry Works Progress ISO by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

Rear view of the works.  I'm planning to feature at least one siding adjacent to the works wall as another option for photographing locos fresh from the works.  During the 60's the works had been known to park up anything out of the ordinary on this siding for people to have a look at from the footbridge - such as a visiting VoR or Welshpool and Llanfair tank on a Flatrol. 

15513790246_c7c050f670_c.jpg

Oswestry Works Progress ISO by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

Some detail of the roof

15513790296_1ed409ff8a_c.jpg

Oswestry Works - Roof by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

14916744654_b61b127936_c.jpg

Oswestry Works - Roof by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

14916744464_1325543591_c.jpg

Oswestry Works - Shadows by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

First cuts are scheduled for next week but I've got a huge amount to do before then.  The works floor needs tackling, including the inspection pits and traverser.  I'm going to have to make the motorised traverser a retro fit as its too much to take on as well at this stage.  It's all nicely mothballed from when I looked into it last year.  Likewise the yard buildings are on the back burner.  Getting the main works buildings finished and ready to cut is the #1 priority now as it's coming up for a year since I started on this :)

• Like 10

If you ever have the chance to visit the Museum in Birmingham's Jewelry Quarter (I apologize for the American spelling) the short tour takes in all the belted machinery at the back of the preserved workshop.  An electric motor is switched on and the sounds you are looking for come alive!  OK, no steam power but the noise of the belts and wheels would drown a steam engine's noise.

Good to see the diorama forging ahead!

Thanks, next time I'm up that way I'll try and make time to visit.  I saw something similar by the sounds at Manchester Museum of Science and Industry, but I could only spare 5 minutes in there before having to dash for the train back to London!  It has got me thinking about possible future extensions to the diorama - the Machine Shop being one option.  I recently bought Ken Gibbs book 'The Steam Workshops of the Great Western Railway' which has a detailed floor plan of the machine shop at Oswestry.  I've a long ways to go yet before contemplating something like that though :) 

Another task ticked off the to do list - Inspection Pits.  I'm using the method described in great detail on Barrow Road's Blog here.  That blog has been an invaluable point of reference for designing how the works will actually fit together and a source of great inspiration, such amazing modelling and engineering.

First up, an exploded view of one of the pits.  I'll be using C&L Chairs and Code 75 Bullhead rail, for the time being in OO gauge.  With some luck I'll be able to construct the top layer of the floor in such a way to make it easier to re-gauge to EM or P4 at a later date.

15359738620_7b2d8122e5_c.jpg

Oswestry Works - Exploded Pit by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr 

An overall view showing the layers of the floor and the traverser recess

15359235988_b0da6e0f72_c.jpg

Oswestry Works - Floor & Inspection Pit Design by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

15358757249_487c0ab3e1_c.jpgOswestry Works - 15/10 Progress by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

A closeup of the pits in the Tender Shop

15521670756_92fff3e2e3_c.jpg

Oswestry Works - Inspection Pits by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

Tomorrow's job, after finishing the traverser recess is creating brickwork in Illustrator

Cheers

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan, those photos by Geoff Charles are superb. Apropos another thread on here, they really show the human element of railways. With all those quick mobile phone photos floating around today, the quality and care of photos like these is even more striking.

The flange checking scene (I assume that's what it is) is one of those everyday situations that must have been second-nature, but which were so rarely photographed. It's a nice thought that model railways can help recreate a little bit of that atmosphere today.

Your Sketchup images look fantastic, not least the one with the shadows. I can already imagine how it will look in real life with the engines in there, and the sounds. And some stripped down locos, maybe? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan,

The pics are brilliant and the action would make for great little cameos within the shed.  But those sketchup plans are just fantastic and my mouth is watering at the prospect of seeing the actual build comming together now.  What absolute dedication to detail and planning and I only wish I could use these type of programmes for layout building.  I think you've hit the nail on the head with the actual amount of the works that you are going to build - not to little and not too much; love the idea that you are going to include a bit of the outside yard so it all makes sense.  I agree with the above comment about how everytime I visit the blog that it becomes more and more fascinating.  Very much hope that you can now find the time to get on with this - there's an awful lot of people on here that want to see this progress.  

You'll get the light and shadow effect with this scheme that's for sure and the finished pics are just going to be a real treat.   Thanks for the link to the sounds - I've already downloaded and listenend - given me some ideas! 

Great progress and keep blogging!

Mike

Edited by PaternosterRow

Hi Mikkel & Mike, thanks for your encouragement and I'm glad you found the pictures and sounds of interest.  It's been great to make some proper progress again, albeit in 3D only so far.  

The ground and the traverser design has given me plenty to scratch my head over, trying not to fall into the trap designing everything (especially things which need to move!) within Sketchup's world of absolute measurements.   I've finished the traverser pit design today and made the traverser platform a little thinner to be closer the prototype.  Here's where some real world tolerances and clearances have had to come in so I don't foul things up completely.  I have this nagging feeling that once I come to put this all together there will be some glaring mistake in the traverser bed which sees it sit a mm or 2 too high, or too low.  Hopefully I've found the right balance and added 0.5mm of tolerance in to ensure it moves freely. 

Some pics of the traverser in situ:

15363181068_9844214f9b_c.jpg

Oswestry Works - Traverser by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

15363181008_09a66027fd_c.jpg

Oswestry Works - Pits and Traverser by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

And a cut-away showing the inspection pits and the traverser pit

15546636731_442239b305_c.jpg

Oswestry Works - Sectional Pit and Traverser by CAMBRIAN AL, on Flickr

That's pretty much it now for the main works building.  The floor still needs to be raised some how to rail level, I'm not sure quite how to do this yet as the chairs will get in the way of laying anything between the tracks.  I've thought about using modelling clay but its a pretty big area to cover and I don't want to make a complete mess of things, not when so many hours will have gone into getting this cut.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :) I'm thinking maybe getting card laser cut to fit, which will then be easier to work around the chairs.  Not sure, needs some more reading up I think.

Now comes the laborious task of putting on the brickwork in Illustrator.  I've been reading up on shortcuts and tips, so hopefully it shouldn't prove too difficult, using the transform function to copy and move should help automate things to an extent.  Thankfully there is a lot of repetition in the design of the works, so once one section is done I should be able to copy it x number of times.  We'll see!

Regarding locomotives to be featured in the works, I've a few half finished kits I bought cheap second hand with the view to finishing them in an 'under repair' state, such as their motion being removed etc.  Kind of a nice way to introduce myself to kit building without the worry of dealing with outside motion, electrics, motors and gears etc!  I've a NuCast 74XX currently being detailed, probably as Oswestry's 7405 or 7410, and a DJH Riddles 2MT, set to be 78000 or 78006 with its motion removed.

There should be some physical progress to see shortly - I'm booked onto the 3D printing course at Missenden next weekend and the sub project for that will be tackling one of the over head cranes, plenty of gears and mechanics to consider, should be just the job for the 3D printer.  Those pictures from the surviving crane at Manchester will come in handy finally :)

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 7