Alan, sorry to here about your recent troubles and glad to hear that things are resolving themselves for the better.

Blimey - put me down for rodding stools (before anyone says it...... that is not a euphemism). What are you using for the rodding?

Out of interest..... I can "probably" lay my hands on mechanical S&T fittings without too much difficulty (legally on loan) would you be interested in scanning those? I'm thinking of a variety of cranks, lamps, finials, wheels, pulleys, tubular post fittings, possibly some block instruments etc.

Edited by Steve Taylor

• RMweb Gold

Here is some other recent work - these scans were from people attending Scalefour North back in April, bonus prizes if you can recognise anyone :)

17504592364_ac81f011a3_b.jpg

woah, i dont remember you scanning me (3rd one in!!)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan, good to hear that your mother is better.

The latest figures look even better than the last batch, somehow. I especially like those in restful poses - I know people have different views of this but I always felt that a relaxed pose was more realistic on a layout.

Thank you :) I really need to looking into Edwardian era scans, its what I've been asked for more than any other!  Time to pay a visit to Bliss Hill maybe...!

Oh yes please! And the point rodding stools too.

A whole little revolution you've got going here!  :good:

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

Hi Alan, good to hear that your mother is better.

The latest figures look even better than the last batch, somehow. I especially like those in restful poses - I know people have different views of this but I always felt that a relaxed pose was more realistic on a layout.

Oh yes please! And the point rodding stools too.

A whole little revolution you've got going here!  :good:

Hi Mikkel, thanks - it's reassuring to know you can see the improvement in quality, that's because of an investment in a more powerful laptop which has massively increased the scan quality.  I was getting scan meshes of approx 100k triangles on the old setup, now I'm getting 2.5-3 million!! 

• Like 1

Hi Peter, yes I'll be experimenting with them in 7mm as well, will post up some pics soon.  Cheers!

Thats good as I will have a 6 metre layout being planned The furthest points have 5 metres between them and the stools at every 42mm I think I need a few.

Thats good as I will have a 6 metre layout being planned The furthest points have 5 metres between them and the stools at every 42mm I think I need a few.

Indeed! Hopefully these will make the process a bit easier and look good as well!

Well those figures put the usual offerings to shame.

I'd be up for some in 7mm scale, both late steam and 1970's diesel era.

I'd even pose for one if I attend an exhibition where you are scanning.........depending on if you need a little pot-bellied bloke at all..........LOL

I DO still have the 1960's haircut though....short back n'.

Edited to say: also some schoolboy figures in appropriate dress with notebooks, duffle bags, tizer bottles, sandwiches, fruit pies etc, seated, standing, sprawling on trollies etc etc..one might even have a Box-Brownie.

Oh and the obligatory lad in shed/works bunking pose, hiding........

Edited by JeffP
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The figures are fantastic Alan. If you can get those on the market I can see other manufacturers offerings being redundant at a stroke. Painting of my cast figures has just slid off the end of the 'to do' list!

Suggestions? How about a steam era inspector in a bowler hat, a harassed shed foreman out in the shed yard investigating a failure or some 1970/80s diesel crews?

More power to you.

Trevor

Alan

Good to hear from you again. I've been following your blog. The figures are b****y fantastic - you should be very proud of your efforts!

I'm not going to Guildex unfortunately, but our long-ago-discussed trip to Aberystwyth may yet happen. Not sure about dates yet, but I'm expecting to go in September. You'd be more than welcome to join if it fits your timetable. I'll PM you with dates as soon as I know.

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond

Thought I was about time I broke the silence!  Modelu has been taking up all my time these last few months so I've nothing new to report on the works front, other than lots more research into designing the machine shop after being on Castle's RMWeb Didcot tour a few weeks back.

In September I've three exhibitions lined up at Guildex, ExpoEM North and Scaleforum where I'll be taking the scanning kit and what are the beginnings of  a range of figures.  I've hugely grateful to some chaps from the Llangollen Railway and a guard from the Severn Valley who have helped out with poses, period uniform and props.  When I say props, I mean anything from a tea brew can to an actual Standard Class 4 tank which we used to get a few poses spot on!!!  

Designing the range has been tricky because there is so much potential here it almost seems a waste not to have more than the usual positions.  These are essentially finescale figures and stand up to very close scrutiny making them ideal for diorama's or macro photography where conversational figures can be placed just for photographs.  It's exciting especially having the guys at Llangollen and the SVR involved.  I'm giving thought to a custom figure creation service where if you have a reference photo or idea we could recreate that pose for a completely unique figure. 

Anyways, here is a little of what I've been up to these last few months! 

Full colour scans taken of Tom and Iain at Llangollen.  At whatever point in the future colour printing is viable for smaller scales I want to be ready to take advantage of it!

20831398396_3066e5a533_c.jpg

Iain oiling a Standard 4, a pose we did with 80072 in the works at Llangollen

20690572479_7d639d62b2_c.jpg

Tom and Iain at Geoff Taylor's Penmaenpool

20851052746_afc39150c5_c.jpg

Jamie from the SVR at Penmaenpool

20690594669_a4301557fc_c.jpg

Jamie about to exchange tokens at Penmaenpool

20690590759_33688d1359_c.jpg

Jamie and Iain shunting loco coal for the shed at Penmaenpool

20254703754_19714f2600_c.jpg

20689229450_efc4404df9_c.jpg

20867652712_e34a1e5c74_c.jpg

A rather cold looking Guard at Penmaenpool

20690570109_bea3c98f93_c.jpg

Lots lots more to come soon!  Any feedback / thoughts on figures would be appreciated, although so far these are very loco/staff centric, I'll be looking at all aspects and eras in due course.  But for now, setting up the laptop and scanning kit in the works at Llangollen is much more fun than scanning anything else!

attachicon.gif11898857_10155921945345720_6302672771631190492_n.jpg

Fantastic figures. Too many other currently available products are frozen in action poses with arms up or legs flailing. For station scenes we need people standing around or leaning against things wondering when the train will arrive, staring at stuff, leaning down to fiddle with a suitcase, etc. Also, young spotters for platform ends with their Ian Allan ABC open, ticking off the latest cop. There is no end to interesting, STILL, poses. I look forward to seeing what develops!

aac

• Like 3

Fantastic figures. Too many other currently available products are frozen in action poses with arms up or legs flailing. For station scenes we need people standing around or leaning against things wondering when the train will arrive, staring at stuff, leaning down to fiddle with a suitcase, etc. Also, young spotters for platform ends with their Ian Allan ABC open, ticking off the latest cop. There is no end to interesting, STILL, poses. I look forward to seeing what develops!

aac

P.S. I would love to read a piece on how the figures were painted. They are the best I have ever seen.

aac

Super figures and poses Alan.  I think all my cast figures will start to look rather crude at the side of these!  See you at Expo North?

Many thanks 5050! Yes see you there, should hopefully have expanded the range further by then also!

Although I will be seeing you on Saturday (Telford) it has occurred to me that the artist Philip Hawkins has a real knack for painting figures in natural poses.  Several of his prints are featured on Warwickshirerailways.com:

http://warwickshirerailways.com/misc/phawkins.htm

But in particular there is a wonderful scene at Platform 7, Snow Hill with hundred's of holiday passengers waiting the arrival of the Cornishman:

http://warwickshirerailways.com/misc/ph13.htm

I have a framed copy of this print and you can spend a lot of time admiring the detail.  All those people are basically standing around in natural poses.

There appears to be a young trainspotter in the foreground (due south of the 7), wearing his school uniform.  That was not unusual in the 1950s - we didn't have a wardrobe of jeans and t-shirts back then!  The problem now must be finding the appropriate clothing for period costumes.

• Like 3

But in particular there is a wonderful scene at Platform 7, Snow Hill with hundred's of holiday passengers waiting the arrival of the Cornishman:

http://warwickshirerailways.com/misc/ph13.htm

And for those who enjoy a challenge, also available in jigsaw format here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000-PIECE-JIGSAW-PUZZLE-SUMMER-SATURDAY-AT-SNOW-HILL-PHILIP-D-HAWKINS-NEW-/380888713028?hash=item58aebc8744

Sort of OT, but the "DOWN" sign at the foot of the staircase to platform 7 is a bit misleading as this is/was the UP platform.  Passengers were encouraged to keep left when using the stairs!  That all this scene was destroyed nearly 50 years ago is a travesty.